Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!  (Read 14254 times)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:14:35 pm »

Him and that guy in Florida must not have gotten some shells in time.

So, yet another massacre in America. Any thoughts?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:21:54 pm »

I think the title is just a little bit tactless, since he killed 13 (not sure about that) people and wounded over 30 more.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:28:28 pm »

Oddly enough, not only was he a psychiatrist, but he also went to V tech, were the worse university massacre in the US happened (next to columbine). Also apparently he used the last stand perc to kill the cop who nearly stopped him.

It happened in a military base, and he survived.

Holy frakk.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »

You know, last year a psychiatrist went berserk over here and killed and raped a girl. There were comments about that this friday. They were around these lines:

"Hey guys, hear this: a psychiatrist in Texas has killed 13 people in an army base and wounded over 30. They say he was under a lot of stress because of talks of relocating him to Iraq"

"What's with psychiatrists lately anyway? Maybe mental disease is catching after all?"

"dunno, but all the ones I've known were kind of creepy. I think only nutcases specialize on psychiatry to begin with"

"I was sort of wondering, why didn't this guy apply the 'doctor, heal thyself' principle? He's a psychiatrist. He should have known that having irresistible murderous urges were a symptom of something"

"Must have been a poor psychiatrist, then"

"Yup. He was a crack shot, though"

"True. Perhaps they SHOULD send him to Iraq after all."
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 02:16:47 pm »

The most amazing part is that he's still alive.  I don't think he's actually conscious again yet, but what an incredible boon it will be to ask the guy what the Hell drove him to that point.  There's a huge story somewhere inside.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:53 pm »

I dont think you will find anything beyond that he lost it and went amok. I think that many, perhaps most, of these "passional crimes" are like that. You lose it, fight or flight kicks in, and you do things that, well, you never thought you would do.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:38:44 pm »

But what made him "lose it"?  Why go back to his base and shoot the place up with guns he bought himself?  Why all the other strange behavior people attributed to the guy?  Or has anything been said about him really accurate?

There's no "go crazy" switch that makes people wake up one day and decide to kill other people.  It may not have been rational or even particularly noticeable, but something drove him to this, and wasn't just raw emotion.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 02:54:04 pm »

I think you are attributing people more rationality than they actually have. You can "just lose it". Emotional tension builds up, and at some point you break. It doesnt always result on rampages. Most of the time it "only" leads to heavy verbal arguing, or a fistfight. And some other times it goes beyond that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:58:35 pm »

Emotional tension building up from what is what I'm asking.  You're saying there's a reason the guy snapped, I want to know what it is.  And honestly, for a guy to clear medical school as a psychiatrist and make it to Major in the army, he had to be at least somewhat stable for most of his life.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:01:53 pm »

Psychiatrists... yea, odd folk... but when you consider their job... their job is basically to delve into the minds of the crazy and unhinged... and try to understand it and fix it.  Many won't get out of it mentally unscathed.

And considering it, their job isn't as simple as normal doctor roles.  A doctor catches a simple disease from a patient somehow, they know how to diagnose and fix it themselves.  A vet's dog has some problem, he diagnoses the problem then fixes it no problem.

A psychiatrist is haunted by what is gleemed from the ramblings/mind of a patient... how does he fix himself? And he has a confidentiality agreement with the patient, so he can't talk about it with another person/psychiatrist...

Emotional tension building up from what is what I'm asking.  You're saying there's a reason the guy snapped, I want to know what it is.  And honestly, for a guy to clear medical school as a psychiatrist and make it to Major in the army, he had to be at least somewhat stable for most of his life.
People can act like there is nothing wrong.  That comes with practice from an early age.

And... yea, I'm in agreement, why did the guy snap... and what led to it?  It would be insightful...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 03:04:40 pm »

If I recall he shot up in the building where they were getting ready to ship people overseas, I also seem to recall seeing something about him being a muslim or something similar. I think the main thing was that he wanted to die and figured he stood better chance of getting killed at a military base or something, that and his reluctance to go to iraq and stuff.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 03:07:57 pm »

1. He was a Muslim and got fucked with a lot by the kind of racist idiots that join the army to go kill Muslims

2. He was a Muslim and was pissed about America invading and wrecking Muslim countries

3. He was about to get deployed to Iraq, nuff said

4. He was a psychiatrist and had been listening to people tell him horror stories about the godawful things they saw over there

5. Who knows, maybe he was already inclined to snap at some point, or maybe those circumstances could drive anybody to flip out

Anyway, it should shut up all those gun nuts who think that the way to stop random shootings is for everybody to be armed. If it can happen on a military base I'm pretty sure it can happen anywhere
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 03:08:42 pm »

A psychiatrist is haunted by what is gleemed from the ramblings/mind of a patient... how does he fix himself?
The bit about insanity being catching above was a joke, for the record :p
And he has a confidentiality agreement with the patient, so he can't talk about it with another person/psychiatrist...
sure they can. Doctor confidenciality doesn't work like that. They just can't reveal the person's identity, or, viceversa, reveal a particular person's clinical record.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:19 pm »

Can't doctors talk about a patient's situation with other doctors?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 03:20:49 pm »

3. He was about to get deployed to Iraq, nuff said

Afghanistan actually, but the point stands.

4. He was a psychiatrist and had been listening to people tell him horror stories about the godawful things they saw over there

I wouldn't be surprised if he had to put up with additional racism from people coming back.  It's not hard to imagine some guy returning from Iraq in need of psychiatric help, and upon seeing Dr. Hasan went "I don't want to see another one of those people ever again".

Anyway, it should shut up all those gun nuts who think that the way to stop random shootings is for everybody to be armed. If it can happen on a military base I'm pretty sure it can happen anywhere

While I am totally on board with using this argument, it must be said that being a military base, if anything, meant there were fewer guns around.  Everyone on base has to clear any weapon they possess, and it's not like they walk around all day locked and loaded.

And he has a confidentiality agreement with the patient, so he can't talk about it with another person/psychiatrist...
sure they can. Doctor confidenciality doesn't work like that. They just can't reveal the person's identity, or, viceversa, reveal a particular person's clinical record.

This was also the military.  There is no confidentiality within the service hospital when you're a soldier, because if there's something wrong with you, it's a danger to the unit for the doctor to not inform your superiors.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:22:29 pm by Aqizzar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10