Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214167 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2265 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:05 am »

I am playing d40 until 2010 has some of the bugs worked out.

And here I thought I was the only one. I'm waiting for the merge of the OpenGL-related code, and the fact that I have a pretty nice fort going in d40 makes the wait easier to bear.

I never give my dwarves anything beyond a no quality silver war hammer unless they have a nerve injury.

As regards sparring safety, high-quality silver weapons are actually better. Sure, their damage potential is higher, but weapon quality affects effective weapon skill, and a higher skill means fewer accidents when sparring.

Shenanigans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:38 pm »

This is something thats bothered me before.

I wanted to create some awesome swords for my training soldiers. a present for when they're good enough to be on duty proper.

But anyway, the problem arises with gems. because jewel encrusted swords are awesome, but i think nearly every time ive tried currant version or not, the jeweler always complains the items at hand are not improvable, i have tried to improve by stuffing or decorating with bone but it never changes it.

i use a seporate gemshop with a dump area and a lockable door to try to force him to encrust the right item. and even though i remember to unforbid .. the jeweler will either refuse or grab a useless nearby barrel..
Praise be Engarlod ker, one eye'd scorpian god.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2267 on: April 07, 2010, 12:17:37 am »

This is something thats bothered me before.

I wanted to create some awesome swords for my training soldiers. a present for when they're good enough to be on duty proper.

But anyway, the problem arises with gems. because jewel encrusted swords are awesome, but i think nearly every time ive tried currant version or not, the jeweler always complains the items at hand are not improvable, i have tried to improve by stuffing or decorating with bone but it never changes it.

I don't know about the new version, but I'm pretty sure you can only encrust furniture, finished goods or ammo. Not weapons.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:21 am »

Speaking of the new version, I'd like to propose keeping questions regarding it out of this thread. There's already a separate thread for DF2010-related "little questions", and things are bound to get chaotic if people don't use it, especially since some of us are still using legacy versions and asking questions accordingly.

Here's a couple of d40-related questions of my own:
1. Do dwarves gain experience - and hence stats - after hitting legendary +5 in a given skill? The fact that in adventure mode it still counts your wrestling experience, even if you're way past l+5, seems to hint at that. It also seems to imply that you'd get more stats (I mean, more experience does seem to entail stat increases). The reason I am skeptical is that I seem to recall not seeing any stat increases in dwarves who hit a fey/secretive mood after already being l+5 in the relevant skill.

Sort of solved. Looking at the experience requirements for stat gains, it makes sense that a multi-legendary dwarf would require more than 20k (the amount gained via fey or secretive mood) for a stat gain.

2. How do material or item type preferences affect a dwarf's products? It's supposed to be a good thing if your armorsmith likes steel, right? I'm wondering about the specifics, though. Does it increase a dwarf's effective skill when working on a preferred material or item type? And if yes, how many levels do they gain? Do these levels stack with a skill that's already legendary+5 (i.e., the supposed maximum)? Do they stack with each other? As you can see, the wiki has left quite a few questions unanswered on this topic.

3. Each dwarf seems to admire one communal and one owned piece of furniture at a time. While disappointing from a role-playing perspective, this sort of good thought is overpowered enough as it is, so I guess that limit makes sense. The question remains whether higher item value supersedes lower value when determining what gets admired. The reason I'm asking is that I don't know if using cheaper furniture as "filler" is going to be counterproductive here. If a *200 table can get admired instead of a *2400 statue, then that would give me a good reason for only making furniture out of precious metals, which isn't always possible.

4. The "ghost glob" bug is supposed to be caused by fluid movement. Accordingly, would setting up a small magma reservoir that's always 7/7 avoid formation of such bugged globs?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:59:25 am by assimilateur »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: April 07, 2010, 10:20:41 am »

Speaking of the new version, I'd like to propose keeping questions regarding it out of this thread. There's already a separate thread for DF2010-related "little questions", and things are bound to get chaotic if people don't use it, especially since some of us are still using legacy versions and asking questions accordingly.

Yeah, this is a good idea.  The thread owner should mention this in the thread title.

Here's a couple of d40-related questions of my own:
1. Do dwarves gain experience - and hence stats - after hitting legendary +5 in a given skill? The fact that in adventure mode it still counts your wrestling experience, even if you're way past l+5, seems to hint at that. It also seems to imply that you'd get more stats (I mean, more experience does seem to entail stat increases). The reason I am skeptical is that I seem to recall not seeing any stat increases in dwarves who hit a fey/secretive mood after already being l+5 in the relevant skill.

Sort of solved. Looking at the experience requirements for stat gains, it makes sense that a multi-legendary dwarf would require more than 20k (the amount gained via fey or secretive mood) for a stat gain.

Yes, dwarves keep gaining experience and stats for doing a job they are legendary + 5 in.  In many cases they gain experience faster, since they are doing the job faster.  In this thread:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48319.0
I studied which jobs gave experience the fastest over several years.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 07, 2010, 11:47:03 am »

I skimmed over your original post in the linked thread, and your findings were as interesting as your scientific rigor was commendable. I would have expected the social skills to come out on top, or perhaps record keeping together with management.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:49:17 am by assimilateur »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wierd military stationing
« Reply #2271 on: April 07, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »

I've made a stationing point down by the entrance to the first level of the underground, by the name of 'caveguard1' and posted my entire military to it. The entire military now says 'station at caveguard1' as their job, but all of them are hanging out around the wagon. Any idea why?

Batista

• Bay Watcher
  • On the Devil's Dance Floor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: April 07, 2010, 04:04:09 pm »

40d new(ish) player here

One of the things I still haven't figured out is, how do I remove "clean" those pesky rocks from the floor.

My current fortress is in a mountain (no sand layers) and I want to build a few workshops and stockpiles, so,how do I remove those annoying rocks first?

Creating a huge stockpile and waiting for the dwarves (only 7 atm) to haul everything would take ages, there must be a quicker way

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 07, 2010, 04:22:45 pm »

to haul everything would take ages, there must be a quicker way

There is no (significantly) quicker way.

First off, you shouldn't worry about those stones for the time being. In the long run it is better to get rid of most of them - leaving possibly a couple hundred for building purposes, but keeping in mind that you could instead always mine more - but when you're just starting out it's better to just leave them where they are. If you really can't stand looking at them, you can hide them (select the appropriate stone type in your stocks menu or mass-hide stones in a given area by pressing d-b-h) before it becomes feasible to dump them. Then once you get enough dwarves that you can assign 20-30 to hauling shit, dumping a couple hundred stones at a time isn't too much of a pain in the ass anymore.

The best ways to then get rid of those stones for good is to dump them in a chasm or under an atomsmasher, which is a raised bridge build on a floor used to utterly pulverize anything placed under it.

Batista

• Bay Watcher
  • On the Devil's Dance Floor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 07, 2010, 04:29:43 pm »

mass-hide stones in a given area by pressing d-b-h

This did the trick, thank you.

EDIT: Another question, I've built a brigde, I linked it to a lever, the bridge is open, my dwarves are able to cross it, then I pull the lever the bridge disapears (I assume it closes) ,and my dorfs STILL cross it.

The bridge is above regular terrain, not water.

How do I fix this? Are my dorfs able to walk through matter THAT easily?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:19:17 pm by Batista »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2275 on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

EDIT: Another question, I've built a brigde, I linked it to a lever, the bridge is open, my dwarves are able to cross it, then I pull the lever the bridge disapears (I assume it closes) ,and my dorfs STILL cross it.

The bridge is above regular terrain, not water.

How do I fix this? Are my dorfs able to walk through matter THAT easily?

I believe the problem is that when you build a bridge, the default option is that it "retracts" instead of "raising". In the former case, it leaves the passage open. The latter creates a sealed door. The next time you build a bridge, look for a command that says "Raise Dir". Those keys will let you choose which way the bridge raises.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 12, 2010, 11:55:13 am »

Hi all. I suppose someone already asked it, but I can't find:

• How do I enable announcements for any fight that starts?

I once got "Hydra is no longer enraged" and found that some crazy brave marksdwarf was hammering the hydra with his crossbow. I saw some fighting events in announcements.txt, but I don't want to have each move announced (let it remain in reports). I just want an announcement on any new fighting report (like "Urist mcHunter is fighting with Hoary marmot").

Thanks

Mr.Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 15, 2010, 06:14:56 am »

This is more technical, but how can I increase the resolution and grid count properly?
If you use the latest versions, you can:
1) mouse-drag the window edge to change its size.
2) use mouse wheel to zoom out.
3) press ctlr-F10 and use mouse wheel to zoom in (it changes modes)

There's plenty of trees on my embark site, yet no river, and it rarely rains..
Does this mean there SHOULD be an underground river somewhere?
Or will I just have to do without water?
There's no way of knowing whether you have an underground river at your site unless you checked with the site finder on embark
Well there is a way to know if there's NO underground features.

Currently all the main features (except for rare magma pools in plains) are in mountain regions. So if you haven't got a mountain as a part of your embark rectangle, you don't have any water.
  If you have a mountain tile or a few in your embark rectangle, the features like UG water/pool may be only under those tiles, so it limits the area of exploration drastically.

i tried all your methods to resize the window, and none of them worked.

EDIT:
apparently this is no longer a DF2010 thread. my apologies
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:18:52 am by Mr.Dwarf »
If we're going to include modded creatures, skeletal crossbowwhales.

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 15, 2010, 06:32:17 am »

Hmm, I'm new here, should I post questions about 40d here?

If so, heres my first question. I made this really awesome prison with levers for each door and stuff. I remotely opened the cages containing trapped beasts and enemies. I opened the cages, and it worked fine.

Then, I went to grab some more of the caged beasts to put in their prison and of course my dwarves see the enemies, both disarmed and caged behind vertical bars. They run away in fear anyway, and cancel any orders I give them in that area.

Is there any way to flag an enemy as friendly, or something similar, so I can keep my prison? If not, I'll just send my archers in and clean it up. After messing it up first, of course.

Edit: Screenshot, the guys on the bottom-right are actually in cages. The rest wander around in their prison cells.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:35:24 am by RadGH »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: April 15, 2010, 06:38:05 am »

unfortunately no. dwarves flip out if they can see a hostile, regardless of whether it can actually harm them or not. you could do a similar setup but arrange the cells so that dwarves can walk down the hall without actually being in line of sight of the prisoners, like this:

Code: [Select]
█████████████████
    ☺
██████  ██████  █
█g   █  █  g █  █
█╫╫╫╫█  █╫╫╫╫█  █
█       █       █
█████████████████
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:46:10 am by AncientEnemy »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 181