Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39755 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »

How did this get in so fast and sneak under everyone's radars? I mean, the SOPA outrage was immense, it's hard to imagine something similar going unnoticed.
Wait, fast? ACTA's apparently been in the works for a bit more than half a decade, now. Started up in '06 with discussion between the states and Japan, according to the wiki page. And yeah, rest of world, you can apparently lay blame for this shit right on the shoulders of the states (And Japan, I suppose.).

As for the sneaking bit, yeah, there's been absolutely zero public consultation about the thing. It was done entirely behind closed doors. If someone hadn't leaked the treaty documents over the negotiation period(s), we probably wouldn't have ever heard about it until someone shoved (or snuck) something like SOPA through and then said "Ohshittreaty, sry" when the people said no to that bullshit.

Because from what I understand, with the ACTA signed, if something like SOPA or PIPA is decided to be, I'unno, unconstitutional, or is given an overwhelming public decry/outright veto, the bastards that are trying to do this crap to the general populous could basically say, "Well, no. Treaty, you see." ACTA's basically a knife at our back waiting for us to slip up even the slightest amount, after which the knife goes in and internet freedom and privacy bleeds out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:22 pm »

Then there's the media industry lobbyist's motivation:  they want a legal ability to shut down any threats to its business model and force all content to be produced and distributed through its channels, where it can be profited from.

Exactly.

Is anyone else completely disgusted when government serves business and not, you know, the people?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:04 pm »

How did this get in so fast and sneak under everyone's radars? I mean, the SOPA outrage was immense, it's hard to imagine something similar going unnoticed.
Wait, fast? ACTA's apparently been in the works for a bit more than half a decade, now. Started up in '06 with discussion between the states and Japan, according to the wiki page. And yeah, rest of world, you can apparently lay blame for this shit right on the shoulders of the states (And Japan, I suppose.).

It's really been in the works for more than five years now? I mean, it doesn't seem that long ago that everyone was up in arms over SOPA.

Then wait! Immediately after that, we have PIPA! Everyone's up in arms again.

Now we have ACTA? I'm being deluged by four letter acronyms that hate the internet!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2012, 09:45:14 pm »

Hm, so this thing is actually real, then? Fuuck, the oppressive bastards just won't give me a break. Guess I'll have to try be even more speedy than before. Sucks, because I hate being rushed.
I'm hoping this law/treaty/whatever is shot down with little effort on my part, so that I can continue to take my sweet time. But if not, things are gonna get real eventful real fast.

You guys just promise me you'll try not to do anything stupid, okay?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »

You guys just promise me you'll try not to do anything stupid, okay?

Gotta admit.  Berserk button is halfway pressed, but it has been for years.

Not much for anyone but me to worry about, though, because I'm the type of person who doesn't explode, I implode.  When I get angry enough, I just BSOD.  Stop paying attention to anything around me, and can't be convinced to do anything but stare off into space.  Coincidentally, I've been doing that a lot lately.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:13 pm »

I'm not trying to sound condescending by asking that, just to clarify. I just know that there will be plenty of people acting stupid already, so anyone that doesn't go completely batshit during this whole thing will make my life just a little bit easier.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2012, 10:04:28 pm »

Sorry, I was busy giving sacrifices to Khorne. Don't do what now?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:09 pm »

Has anyone told you your continued role playing of this Character you pretend to be even during serious subjects is a tad annoying?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »

Sorry

I'm kinda surprised they're going through with it, concidering how much rage SOPA/PIPA got

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:59 pm »

Sorry

I'm kinda surprised they're going through with it, concidering how much rage SOPA/PIPA got

It was part of the plan all along. SOPA/PIPA are the triggers used to empower ACTA. Once ACTA in place, ANY law remotely similar to SOPA/PIPA will activate it. So once it is in place it will sit idle and silent until those who value freedom and knowledge make a mistake and let down their guard. But ACTA will lie in wait, lurking, waiting, scheming. It could be in a year, a decade or even a century but in the end we will lose unless ACTA can be broken and killed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2012, 10:58:00 pm »

Sorry Luke. I was talking to King DZA.

Yeah.  I guess we know that all the people who were like "Wow. Now that I actually read this I see it is a terrible idea. Thank you public!" Were lying.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:01 pm »

Sorry

It was part of the plan all along. SOPA/PIPA are the triggers used to empower ACTA. Once ACTA in place, ANY law remotely similar to SOPA/PIPA will activate it. So once it is in place it will sit idle and silent until those who value freedom and knowledge make a mistake and let down their guard. But ACTA will lie in wait, lurking, waiting, scheming. It could be in a year, a decade or even a century but in the end we will lose unless ACTA can be broken and killed.

And I think ACTA will most likely get passed due to the lack of coverage (compared to SOPA/PIPA).

Are we doomed?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »

Sorry

And I think ACTA will most likely get passed due to the lack of coverage (compared to SOPA/PIPA).

Are we doomed?

The lack of coverage is intentional. In the US  the existence of ACTA was classified top secret for the longest time.

Yes we are doomed, but you can always overthrow your government.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2012, 11:10:05 pm »

Well ACTA is a treaty, right? Then SOPA/PIPA was mearly an attempt to enforce it, which failed and we can give resistance to any other attempt anywhere else

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2012, 11:13:17 pm »

Well ACTA is a treaty, right? Then SOPA/PIPA was mearly an attempt to enforce it, which failed and we can give resistance to any other attempt anywhere else

Until something fundamental changes, this means making a massive push every few months for the foreseeable future to remind everyone in our government that we'll make hell if they actually do something like this.  We fail once, and it's time to make good on that threat.  If we fail to make good on the threat, then we've simply lost.

Personally, I don't think there's enough attention span in the public to fend this off forever.  The law will come down on the internet eventually, and our reaction at that point will be what determines the final outcome.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26