Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140794 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1485 on: November 24, 2013, 10:52:15 am »

Ace! Check your email account.

...Any other takers?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: November 24, 2013, 11:50:16 am »

No, because I'm too busy wanting to play that than to read it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: November 24, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

I don't know why you have to keep this under wraps. There's nothing in here that needs to be kept secret.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 24, 2013, 12:08:44 pm »

Then post it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 24, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »

True enough! Okay, here's what I've got so far:

Spoiler: Build Your Own Mafia (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:17:31 pm by notquitethere »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 24, 2013, 12:39:21 pm »

Is Last Man Standing a Survivor wincon?

So, here's my issue with games where the mafia doesn't get a group kill: A lot of their power has been removed. If you buy a kill, then you've suddenly placed a lot of your power into one teammate, and that affects balance on its own.

Dense Paranoid Gun Owners might be running rampant, though. You should really remove PGOs from this game. They're a real hassle to balance.
Can prolific use the same ability twice?
Go To Town is commonly known as Hide, just in case you want a better word.
Can Unstoppable Kills be blocked by Kill Immunity?
Remove Unlynchable. Unlynchable Mafia is... not fun.
Town cannot get conversions. Otherwise, the game will break.
Silent should cost 1 point, since untrackability is pro-scum, but not too powerful.
You might want to change Double Voter a bit. It's not broken as it stands now, but it could have a few issues with it. I have no way to fix it right now, but I'm making a note of it.
Protect is more of a 3-4 cost action. Protects are not as useful as you might want.
Unreliable Inspect seems to be pointless to me. You're flipping a coin over whether it works or not, which would be the same as if you just guessed anyway. :P

Ways to break the game:
All players grab a non-Miller Flaw and Infallible Inspects. Create an inspect circle. Play a game of Dethy without sanities. Possible counters might include conversions.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 24, 2013, 12:53:06 pm »

I want the following abilities:

-1 - Unlucky (unreliable powers work 25% of the time, non-unlucky players take precedence in same-level action ordering)
-1 - miller. shows up as scum under inspect (non-scum only)
-1 - hardcore (all protects on you fail- cannot be taken alongside PGO)
-2 - unable to vote
-2 - unreliable (your powers and autos have a 50% chance of failure)

Giving me: 7 points to spend at Generation.

I also want:

2 "3 points (standard wincon + optional easy wincon - like jester, martyr)" which would make it basically impossible for me to lose right? Unless I missed a rule.

Perhaps make it so that you cannot take more than 1 secondary win-con?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 24, 2013, 01:34:01 pm »

Wuba
Is Last Man Standing a Survivor wincon?
Yeah, originally I was going to allow buying of new secondary wincons in play but then I decided that was stupid. In its original incarnation, you'd have to be the very last player alive to win, but now it can just be changed to 'survivor'.

So, here's my issue with games where the mafia doesn't get a group kill: A lot of their power has been removed. If you buy a kill, then you've suddenly placed a lot of your power into one teammate, and that affects balance on its own.
But given that the scum can collude and make sure all their bases are covered, is that necessarily a bad thing?

Dense Paranoid Gun Owners might be running rampant, though. You should really remove PGOs from this game. They're a real hassle to balance.
I think I'll change it to 'Auto - 5 - Explosive, if you're targeted for a kill, you still die but then so does the person attacking you', then if then if someone wants to build a PGO, they'll have to shell out ten points for two abilities.

Can prolific use the same ability twice?
I don't see why not. Or should that be a different power/cost more?

Go To Town is commonly known as Hide, just in case you want a better word.
Yeah, I knew I wasn't quite getting that one right.

Can Unstoppable Kills be blocked by Kill Immunity?
Damn unstoppable forces meeting immovable objects... I'd say yes, because the Unstoppable auto just gets past 'protect' and 'block'.

Remove Unlynchable. Unlynchable Mafia is... not fun.
Might change this to 'Second Life', to allow for a resurrection.

Town cannot get conversions. Otherwise, the game will break.
Ah yes, because ex-scum will just out their partners and waltz home to easy victory.

Silent should cost 1 point, since untrackability is pro-scum, but not too powerful.
Agreed.

You might want to change Double Voter a bit. It's not broken as it stands now, but it could have a few issues with it. I have no way to fix it right now, but I'm making a note of it.
It doesn't have to be included, but I was trying to err on the side of the greatest number of power choices. I'll cost it up one point for now, pending further discussion.

Protect is more of a 3-4 cost action. Protects are not as useful as you might want.
Yeah, I'm thinking in general the pro-town powers might do with being a little bit cheaper on the whole. That said, I have played in a game won wholly on the back of a doctor who successfully protected two players before claiming. They're more useful the less players there are (but that's true of all powers). Okay, I've lowered their cost to 3. With the high likelihood of town-Vigilantes in a game, the investigative use of a protect is much lower.

Unreliable Inspect seems to be pointless to me. You're flipping a coin over whether it works or not, which would be the same as if you just guessed anyway. :P
Yes it is pointless as it stands, but a lucky unreliable cop might tempt some people. I'll make it cost one point to encourage just this.

Ways to break the game:
All players grab a non-Miller Flaw and Infallible Inspects. Create an inspect circle. Play a game of Dethy without sanities. Possible counters might include conversions.
Yes, that's possible but unlikely to pull off as the town can't collude on what powers to get before the game. Converter scum might counter claimed cops, and then there's the possibility of being redirected, bussed, etc.

Nerjin
Thanks for the spot: I've updated the rules to preclude the taking of two or more secondary wincons, and I've clarified the flaws that you can only take if you have powers. Also, if you take 7 points of flaws, then you have 12 points to spend on powers (and a secondary wincon) as you start off with five points in N0.

Spoiler: CYOM v1.1 (click to show/hide)

Keep it coming! Anyone spot any obvious powers that should be on the list? I've added some CYOM specific abilities: Bloodthirsty, Thrill-Seeker and Power Swap and clarified how Changeling works.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:16:44 pm by notquitethere »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 24, 2013, 01:34:36 pm »

I want the following abilities:

-1 - Unlucky (unreliable powers work 25% of the time, non-unlucky players take precedence in same-level action ordering)
-1 - miller. shows up as scum under inspect (non-scum only)
-1 - hardcore (all protects on you fail- cannot be taken alongside PGO)
-2 - unable to vote
-2 - unreliable (your powers and autos have a 50% chance of failure)

Giving me: 7 points to spend at Generation.

Err, 12 points I think, cause of this:

"each player is allotted an alignment (either town or scum) and has five points to spend on powers."
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: November 24, 2013, 01:40:26 pm »

Hey Imp, what would you build if you rolled town or scum and you wanted to break the game?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 24, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »

Hey Imp, what would you build if you rolled town or scum and you wanted to break the game?

Just woke up today, and still looking this over/thinking about it.  Brain a bit slow.

I'm unsure because some of this stuff I've never seen used.  And others I don't get - who the HECK would want to take an unreliable cop point?  Unless unreliable means '100%' - that is almost as good as a reliable cop.  "woohoo! This person inspected Town!  Now I know they ain't Town!'... But if it's randomly right or wrong.... that's one point I'd never spend.  I can -guess- without needing a 50% likely to be wrong clue, meh.

Point share is interesting.  Very interesting.  Especially for Scum.

Randomize.  Explain more.  One target?  Everyone?  How does it work exactly, if they try to use a power, is the one they used randomly selected, or just their target, and if they didn't try to use one is that randomizeable too, to 'force' them to try and use a power even if they intended no action?

Sap.  Ooooh.  Tempting.  But probably not so useful.

Santa.  Heck yeah.

I'm not seeing any of these as being one-shot or constant use.  Is there a point difference to take something as a one shot?  Or are these -all- one shots?

So... to break the game as Scum... I'd take -

Hardcore (-1), Dense (-2), unable to vote (-2), and magnetic (-2)

So I'd have 5 + 7 = 12 points.

Then I'd pick Point share (2), so I'd enter play with 10 points.

I'd get through the day however I could, but for SURE I'd give my 10 points to the best Scum on our Team, and we'd of course work out how those points would be spent the beginning of N1 and all the rest.

Actually, I found a better breaker as Scum - And I'd enjoy the hell out of it, far more than the first.

Hardcore (-1), unable to vote (-2), and magnetic (-2), giving me 10 points.

Double Santa costs 10 points, with magnetic giving me a 50% chance of self targetting when I try to bestow my gifts upon my buddies.  And I could gain points like normal with that build too - but every cycle of power use (is that one full D/N?  Remember, I'm -new-... some 'obvious how things work' to you is invisible and intangible to me still).  Anyway, Someone Scum is getting 2 new powers every chance I have to use Santa again, and that could be any power, from a 1 point to a 7 point power.  Merry Scummas!

I'm not sure how to break this set up as Town yet.  I'll wonder about that for a while.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 24, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »

No to additional wincons, everything else after a brief scan looks ok.

Instead of everyone having every choice, randomly pick ~5-6? possible choices for each player otherwise everyone might choose vig or cop or something.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 24, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »

Perhaps scum should share a pool of 10 points and effectively count as one player? They keep the abilities and such or something. I dunno. Just a thought.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 24, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »

Instead of everyone having every choice, randomly pick ~5-6? possible choices for each player otherwise everyone might choose vig or cop or something.
This is kind of okay.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 24, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »

ZU
Why not? There are no third parties otherwise, and it gives each player the option of being more flexible in how they win at the considerable expense of having less power throughout the game.

That might be an interesting game but it's not the game I want to make. I want to give players genuine choices. Ideally, the powers should be costed to tempt some players to choose powers other than night-kills and inspects.

Nerjin
Perhaps scum should share a pool of 10 points and effectively count as one player? They keep the abilities and such or something. I dunno. Just a thought.
That could work, but I think it's simpler if everyone shares the same rule-set. Do you think the scum would be too powerful otherwise?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 108