Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need some Rogue Likes  (Read 4320 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Need some Rogue Likes
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 01:05:58 pm »

And in case anyone ever needs me to, I can answer literally any question you have about firearms and firearms accessories.
Heh heh heh... propane.[/offtopic]

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:00 pm »

I'm not an actual gunsmith yet. I am 18 now and I have a gunsmith master lined up and am applying to Penn and Fosters trade school for gunsmithing. John M Browning went there, for any who knows who John Browning is.
err... bishop of Canberra?
anyways, are you knowledgeable in arms history too? I have a question that is bugging me about WWI rifles.

I am 100% knowledgeable of all firearms made past the year 1890. Before that I'm "Well versed" at best.

And yeah, the easiest way for me to describe how much I love firearms is just to say "I'm the Hank Hill of firearms."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 09:27:39 pm »

Oh, YOU'RE the reason that JA2 1.13 has thirty different models of AK!  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 10:11:52 pm »

Oh, YOU'RE the reason that JA2 1.13 has thirty different models of AK!  :D

Funny thing is I add a lot of guns in JA when I can  ;D

Sadly, ever since I added the cosplay mod (Amazing, in case you haven't tried it) my xml editor is broken.

Also, if you like realistic guns and repetitive AK variants I suggest Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with Arsenal mod. And oblivion lost.

I mod that game too lol.

Oh, and for the record...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 02:46:38 pm »

My question about gun history is this:
If they invented the semi-automatic "lock" in the late 1890s (15-20 years before the "great" war), and since the advantage of using one seems obvious (the difference between single-shot bolt action weapons and semi-automatics is easily more significant than the one between them and assault rifles and the developed nations were all over those when they were invented, right?) why weren't any being used? were they somehow unreliable? Too expensive? Or were over a dozen nation victims of the same inertia of conservative thinking?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 08:26:00 pm »

You pretty much have all the answers.

Semiautomatic was not accepted at first for a number of reasons, I'll list them in order from greatest factor to least.

1: COST. Way back when they had a habit of producing MILLIONS of military rifles. Just in case. The semi automatic design was tossed out because it increased manufacturing time and cost by far too much to be considered economical. Contrary to popular belief, semiautomatic designs are more expensive and complicated than fully automatic design. Not to mention all the time soldiers would need to learn how to operate them.
If a weapon was semiautomatic it was assumed soldiers would shoot more rounds than necessary, thus adding to the cost.

2: RELIABILITY. Semiautomatics of the time were extraordinarily new and VERY complicated. They knew that war was getting dirty and unsophisticated so a reliable gun was a better gun. Early semi-autos were far from this.

3: ACCURACY. The locking systems in semiautomatics are not as strong as those found in bolt action rifles. The pressure of the round had (and still has) the tendency to escape through the ejection port and many leaks in the bolt itself. Not to mention gas was needed to push the piston back loading another round. Less pressure means less velocity. Less velocity means less accuracy (In the vast majority of cases.) You very well could hit a target out to 800-1000 yards with a bolt action rifle of the time, but barely hit a 300 yard target with a new semiauto.

4: STUBBORN WAYS. Many generals didn't feel the need for them. Many generals had fought in previous wars with nothing but either single fire rifles or muzzle loaders, so bolt action was already a major step up for them. Semiautomatic was just ridiculous. This however did not happen to select fire intermediate caliber rifles (Assault Rifles) Nearly as much. The only notable major leader to deny the assault rifle was Adolf Hitler.

And to be fairly honest, I would have much preferred a Mauser or Enfield back in those days to many semiautomatics we have now. Back then trenches were hundreds and hundreds of yards apart at times, and semiautomatics were not, and are still not capable of such ranges. I am speaking of intermediate calibers of course, I'm fully aware that larger calibers beyon .375 are capable of those ranges, but their weight and odd caliber variation turn me off.

Anyways, I hoped that answered your question. Feel free to ask more, I love answering  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]