Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need some Rogue Likes  (Read 4318 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some Rogue Likes
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »

Guns?

Gearhead 1 & 2

Xenocide

The aforementioned DoomRL is the only other one that springs to mind, aside from Slash'em, I suppose.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 02:33:55 pm »

Elona has guns AND fantasy. Not only that, but you can buy slaves, houses, farms, grow artifacts, ride little girls, mutate, have sex, get an STD AND freak out people when you tell them about this game.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »

Well, Doom obviously IS an entirely gun-based roguelike, just in case you are kind of new to video game history.  (Is it considered history already?  Wow.)

Gun-based turn based games are often kind of hard to do with things like permadeath though, because guns are, well, pretty lethal.  You run into that problem in Fallout a lot...if someone actually manages to shoot you with a plasma gun, or if someone critically hits you in the head, you pretty much die.

And unlike action games, you can't just say 'oh that big deadly projectile is dodge-able'.  Your life or death, against a big beefy enemy, just depends on either a) killing him instantly, or b) hoping he doesn't roll well, and that's not as fun when a twenty-hour-long character is on the line.

Swords-and-magic based roguelikes have so much variety in abilities that there's always a different way to approach a problem or dispatch someone in a way that they can't hit you; games like Gearhead (and heck, even Elona) don't actually have permadeath; and DoomRL is short and sweet so the problem isn't so bad.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 05:40:51 pm »

Sir, I suggest you try Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 mod and cosplay mod. Your view on turn based shooters will be changed forever.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 06:09:27 pm »

Yeah, but in JA2, if you lose one guy to an unfortunate antimateriel headshot, you've still got other guys.  Eh, it's personal preference I guess.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 10:09:45 pm »

To give you an idea how much I love guns I'd give up sex for the rest of my life if it meant I had all the guns in the world and ammunition for them.

You don't really mean that...

Anyway, Gearhead is seconded. I had a lot of fun with that one. How good is Elona? I tried it, but the translation was awkward, and a lot of weird things would happen randomly, and I'd have no idea what was going on.

Rougelike is also a fun, short roguelike. You get to play as an admin on Wikipedia, and you ban people. Somehow it entertained me for a long time.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 11:16:46 pm »

Trust me. I mean it. I've gone for a whole stinking year with no real sex, and it doesn't bother me a lot. But if I couldn't shoot every weekend or could never fire a gun for a year I would probably smash my head into the wall until I die or go into a coma.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 11:42:31 pm »

Trust me. I mean it. I've gone for a whole stinking year with no real sex, and it doesn't bother me a lot. But if I couldn't shoot every weekend or could never fire a gun for a year I would probably smash my head into the wall until I die or go into a coma.
Way to live up to your name.

Ever think of taking up law enforcement?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 11:52:31 pm »

GO DARWIN!
I got nothing

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 12:17:08 am »

Gearhead, Elona, and DoomRL all whatevered they are at this point.

If your looking for something a bit different, Spelunky is a RL platformer with bombs and GCS.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 06:12:56 am »

There's also steamband, which has guns among other steampunkly things, sadly not updated anymore.
My survivor score for Outbreak Command is 931. Can anyone do better?
991. On my second try, though I guess I got pretty lucky.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:18:29 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 07:12:13 am »

OH, others that'd work perhaps then:

Lost in Flatspace 1 and 2
Moreso, Transcendence as it has a new version coming soon at long last!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 07:31:07 am »

alphaman  http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/alphaman.htm
omega    http://www.prankster.com/winomega/
decker   http://www10.caro.net/dsi/decker/

these arnt the cream of the crop but theyre still good, most of the good ones have already been mentioned, bar possibly prospector
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 11:13:35 am »

Way to live up to your name.

Ever think of taking up law enforcement?

Meh, everyone has always told me since I started learning about guns that I should join the Army or become a cop. Truth be told, I like guns. I don't like killing people or giving people traffic tickets. I'm a terribly nice person when I'm not on the internet and I just could not imagine ruining someones perfect day by making them pay a 400 dollar fine or show up for a court date.

And in case anyone ever needs me to, I can answer literally any question you have about firearms and firearms accessories. And I don't mean the trivia that some newbie gun people think makes them look smart, I mean if you have a question of the ballistics of a certain round out of a certain barrel using a certain locking system, then by all means ask away. And don't be afraid to ask about vague rounds like the .243 or the 45-70 or even the .577 T-Rex. However I DO know all that gun trivia  ;D

I'm not an actual gunsmith yet. I am 18 now and I have a gunsmith master lined up and am applying to Penn and Fosters trade school for gunsmithing. John M Browning went there, for any who knows who John Browning is.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 12:55:14 pm »

I'm not an actual gunsmith yet. I am 18 now and I have a gunsmith master lined up and am applying to Penn and Fosters trade school for gunsmithing. John M Browning went there, for any who knows who John Browning is.
err... bishop of Canberra?
anyways, are you knowledgeable in arms history too? I have a question that is bugging me about WWI rifles.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 [2] 3