Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years  (Read 10892 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:05 pm »

And people wouldn't believe you anyways if you just walked around saying your from the future.

Well, they would if you showed up with like a laser gun or a hoverbelt or a robot butler or something.  But instead, self-confessed "time-travelers" typically come across as slightly more coherent hobos than spacemen.

Maybe the time travel mechanism relies on an addiction to Old Milwaukee and wearing smelly clothes?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 09:33:54 pm »

Maybe the mechanism cannot properly convey matter?
Or yhe planetary magnetic field prevents time travel?
Or you can only time travel at rates of -1 to +1, so you would die of old age on your way? And eventually your time machine willl cease to exist?
Eh?
Eh!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 09:38:12 pm »

There are innumerable ways of convincing people you're from the future. One is to have such technology that you can kill anyone that disagrees with you ;D

I personally prefer my idea that the "future" is erased upon travelling back in time. That or it just stops for the people in the time-traveller's future.

Warning: contains conjecture on higher-dimensional physics which I honestly have never seriously studied
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway. It avoids paradox by making the future irrelevant - the time traveller (say it was you) simply exists in the new time, and he'd have to wait or go into stasis of some sort in order to see the effects of his changes. This could have already happened, and no one could possibly know unless the traveller made it obvious. It could actually be happening all the time in minute intervals, as long as the subtraction were less than the pace of time... or even if it weren't. We think things are going ahead in time, but if we lose all memory of having been further ahead, we'll have no clue what's happening.

Read: Time itself could be being eaten away in any amount of interval at all O.O I just scared myself by thinking about this xD
And yes, I know this is probably all garbage physics. But it's fun to think about.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:24 pm »

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:52 am »

There are always possibilities of breaches in the universal laws. Laws, as rules, can have exceptions. (That boson thing, for one)  It is possible that by setting very specific conditions (down to geptillionths of whatever measurement unit), one can bypass the universe. These exceptions become laws by themselves, of course, unless they are not made public. For example, before resonance was discovered, it was likely believed that waves or oscillations do not affect each other. But set the oscillations to a very specific frequency, and you get resonance. Same may apply to other laws. This is part of the background of my Multiworlds setting, btw.

And back to timetravel. Another part of the aforementioned background describes what I'd call "dynamic parallel universes". Parallel universes, in the 5th dimension and above (assuming the 4th dimension to be the entirety of a given universe's timeline, the 5th dimension represents variations of the timeline) actively try to merge themselves together. I remember some physical principle behind that, but can't recall what it is exactly. Something about lowest amount of energy in a system. But the universes can't merge unless they are at least nearly identical at a given point, so they branch out when the timelines are different, and join back when they are identical. What results from this is that when you travel back in time, the timeline branches off in the past. But if you leave no impact whatsoever and go back to the future, at your point of return the child timeline would "branch in" and merge with the original timeline. There would be a permanent "bulge" in the timeline at the point you appeared and until you left, but the rest of it would eventually absorb back into the main stream because it's very nearly identical. Matching quantum waveforms and all that technobabble.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 02:07:52 am »

All the lack of time travellers proves is that we don't understand time, GUESS WAT GIES? WE ALREADY KNEW THAT!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 05:35:38 am »

Well if I invented/was part of a team that invented a time travel machine I'd make sure that the machine can't take you any further back than the day it was first released into the public. Aside from anything else the alternative is that the first person to buy it travels back 10 years before you even made it and gives it to their past self/parents to pretend they invented it.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 05:39:36 am »

As ways to fuck the world over with time travel go, that one is pretty laid back.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 06:52:56 am »

Spoiler: For Sean (click to show/hide)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:08 am »

There doesn't appear to be any theoretical reason why one could not engage in time travel; the problems are pretty much entirely practical ones.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 06:57:09 am »

There doesn't appear to be any theoretical reason why one could not engage in time travel; the problems are pretty much entirely practical ones.

Well, not yet at least, but yah that's my understanding  :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 06:58:42 am »

In theory time should be three dimensions just like space, a 6 dimensional object should be able to quite happily jaunt around what we percieve as time without any worries, and we should be able to jaunt through what we percieve as time, again without any worries.

The trick is the practical side; how one actually achieves this. Due to a distinct lack of 6 dimensional objects to observe this has proven rather difficult.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 07:06:11 am »

Whenever I think about what humans would do with time machines, I remember that we humans are as much masters of trolling as we are science.  I can absolutely guarantee that if time travel ever became possible, given the unlimited time and possibility of the future, somehow, someway, some cheesedick would go back to the beginning of humanity or the planet or the universe and unmake everything just for kicks.

We're humans, we do that.

I believe the fact that we've never seen proof of a real time traveler from the future is proof that time travel is either impossible or discrete, because otherwise we wouldn't exist at all.

That is possibly the most hilarious thing I have read in the last six months.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 07:17:50 am »

Pfft, you can be sure within a year of Time Travel being invented somone will go back in time and shoot their great grandfather just to see what happens.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 07:36:15 am »

what? but i am from the future. everyone lives in mud huts except me. so now everyone does live in mud huts.

i had a palace though. with a time machine. thats how im here. anyways, must be getting back to my empire, the serfs will be rebelling again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9