Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years  (Read 10890 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 04:11:54 pm »

There's no doubt that work on science is accelerating, though. And honestly there's a lot of improvement to be had just in the way we use computing power, never mind making things smaller and more powerful. The way programmers are nowadays, they just throw around pointers and integers and floating points where bitfields will do, rabble rabble, kids etc.

I'd get into the singularity and crap, but that'd be derailing the thread.

Just because we haven't seen time travellers doesn't mean time travel is impossible, nor does it mean the world will be destroyed. There are a couple possibilities that preclude either, such as time travel accessing/creating parallel dimensions, time travel destroying sections of time ahead of the destination entirely (which would mean time travel would only exist from the perspective of the time traveller and whoever he convinces he's from the future, so unless it's already been invented or the traveller is in the loony bin/government custody, there are no time travellers), time travel only being possible with a receiving device, and time travel just never being bothered with to our era, which although seems unlikely, we have no way of predicting what our motives will be in the future.

Although I do think there's a good possibility that we will destroy ourselves with a biological or nanomolecular weapon in the nearish future, considering how commonplace the tools to create both are becoming.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 04:18:02 pm »

Using the same logic, some thinker came up with

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am ashamed for quoting wikipedia, but whatever

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 04:24:39 pm »

Whenever I think about what humans would do with time machines, I remember that we humans are as much masters of trolling as we are science.  I can absolutely guarantee that if time travel ever became possible, given the unlimited time and possibility of the future, somehow, someway, some cheesedick would go back to the beginning of humanity or the planet or the universe and unmake everything just for kicks.

We're humans, we do that.

I believe the fact that we've never seen proof of a real time traveler from the future is proof that time travel is either impossible or discrete, because otherwise we wouldn't exist at all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:11:31 pm by Stany »

Angellus

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 05:15:44 pm »

Whenever I think about what humans would do with time machines, I remember that we humans are as much masters of trolling as we are science.  I can absolutely guarantee that if time travel ever became possible, given the unlimited time and possibility of the future, somehow, someway, some cheesedick would go back to the beginning of humanity or the planet or the universe and unmake everything just for kicks.

We're humans, we do that.

I believe the fact that we've never seen proof of a real time traveler from the future is proof that time travel is either impossible or discrete, because otherwise we wouldn't exist at all.
It would be the new way of suicide, only it is a one-time show for the whole of humanity. Since we're still here, it should not be possible.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 05:17:43 pm »

If what this video says about the higher dimensions holds true, maybe we will never succeed in making a 4th dimensional time machine, instead only inventing a 5th dimensional time machine. By sheer luck or by the virtue of probability, maybe this will be a dimension that nobody ever visits with the intent to screw it up irrevocably. Maybe the only time travelers we ever get are time tourists.

Or maybe time machines can only bring us back to the date of their completion, and not one second further.

Perhaps there is some multi-dimensional agency policing time travel so nobody travels back in time just to appear before a gathering of people, with the intent to empty their bladder on something important.

Maybe the best anyone can do is merely see back in time, but be otherwise unable to act.

Maybe we aren't here in spite of time travelers, but because of them.

Time travel and the future of the human race is not necessarily exclusive.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 05:32:21 pm »

I personally prefer the timeline branch explainaton, at least on the main line that creates the first time machine.
Eh?
Eh!

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »

Or maybe time machines can only bring us back to the date of their completion, and not one second further.
This is what it is.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:10:06 pm by Stany »

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »

Stany I was too lazy to parse your block of text so forgive me if you already mention it, but if the parallel universes time travel thingy were true, why aren't we receiving time travelers from parallel universes? I mean, if you figure that there are billions of people popping through time at any given moment (maybe many of them the same person?) eventually they'll pop into our universe, unless time travel can only happen from our universe.
Which means that no other universe could ever have time machines so if you time traveled you'd be stuck there forever

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 07:03:03 pm »

Ahem, if time travel or chrono travel was invented, time would be messed up. Someone could have stopped John Wilkes Booth from killing Lincoln, or they could have stopped Harvey Oswald, there would be time paradoxes, we could be our own grand parents, some evil fuck could even have been hitler by time travelling.

If time travel was real, a bunch of disasters would have been blocked. Why would people from the future say they were from the future any way?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 07:34:17 pm »

i cant decide if the OP of this thread makes me want to laugh or hammer nails into my head.

I know which one most of you probably prefer tho........ :o ;D
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:09 pm »

Hari Seldon, a character in Asimov's Foundation series had a similar problem, though with a few million times more intelligence backing it up: One(Or in this case, countless, but at least 10) critical assumption overlooked because of perspective(In the book, it was something not even the readers would notice until the last few pages of the last book, but here, ANYONE can find a flaw), and that (any) one flaw, when revealed, voids all of the precious work(or not, in the work of fiction, because it DID help, and DID lead to the discovery of the flaw in a situation where the solution is evident and relatively easy)...
Eh?
Eh!

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »

Ahem, if time travel or chrono travel was invented, time would be messed up. Someone could have stopped John Wilkes Booth from killing Lincoln, or they could have stopped Harvey Oswald, there would be time paradoxes, we could be our own grand parents, some evil fuck could even have been hitler by time travelling.

If time travel was real, a bunch of disasters would have been blocked. Why would people from the future say they were from the future any way?

Let's say, hypothetically, that my first theory in my first post was correct. Now let's assume the number of alternate timelines if infinite.

Infinity is a funny thing. If you assign each parallel timeline off to infinity a number n, and then have each timeline send a time traveler to the n+1 parallel timeline, you'll only leave one universe open, the very first one. If you instead have the nth timeline send its time traveler to the 2n timeline, and continue on for each and every other timeline, then there will still be one time traveler from each timeline in another timeline, but in this latter case there will now still be infinity timelines where no time travelers are visiting (excluding the local population).

Now here's something we haven't even covered: How exactly does one navigate in time? How do you suppose it even looks?  As far as I've seen, nobody has even suggested how we may navigate in time, let alone travel in it...

But, in perfect honesty, this is yet another way of saying "We don't know what we don't know." Hypothetically, the number of things we don't know could be infinite. In reality? Maybe some weird and completely arbitrary number. Like 42.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:34 pm »

I also say; "This is complete dogshit."
Seriously, you can't base the future on some invention being created. And if we interfere with the past, we interfere with many outcomes. And people wouldn't believe you anyways if you just walked around saying your from the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9