Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elves in worldgen are hopeless!  (Read 1676 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Elves in worldgen are hopeless!
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:19:10 am »

"A: 123 elves, 39 losses.
D: 8 humans, 7 losses.

Defender was victorious."

So, a SINGLE HUMAN was left against 84 ELVES and the elves RETREATED.

WHY ARE YOU SO EPIC, ISTRO CLASHSHOVELS THE MERGED STORMS OF CRYING.
Twenty-seven kills. Not very amazing, but they were ALL IN THAT ONE BATTLE. That left only 12 other elves to be killed by the other humans.

In short, why are the elves so terrible at world-gen battles?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Elves in worldgen are hopeless!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:40:56 am »

There are several reasons. First and foremost of these is the simple fact that they are elves. And thus physically inferior to pretty much everything with a pulse.

The second reason is that all their equipment consists of wood.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:26:42 am »

You could have searched...
But since the thread's here anyway:
The main reason is because they use wood. The other reason is that they have -1 Damblock.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 05:36:03 am »

128 elves vs. 1 dwarf

52 elves die, dwarf goes on killing solo for 11 years.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:55:03 am »

Give the Elves time though, their plan is ingenius! They kill their enemies off with AGE!

As much of a joke as that sounds it really seems to be their strategy. Surround them with overwhelming numbers and then wait until their greatest champions die of AGE!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 07:12:13 am »

Give the Elves time though, their plan is ingenius! They kill their enemies off with AGE!

As much of a joke as that sounds it really seems to be their strategy. Surround them with overwhelming numbers and then wait until their greatest champions die of AGE!

Does anyone else see flaws in this? I.E. Intercourse, followed by new champion in about 12 years?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:25:29 am »

Not to mention that the champions would be of various ages, so you could have a champion who is in their 20s and another who is in their 50s. I'm not sure whether worldgen characters can become champions just through training, but there would always be a few champions somewhere.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:24:34 am »

Elves are called Elves for a reason...

that being... Because they're elves. Enough said.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:38:41 am »

I think elves' biggest advantage in world gen is that *if* they get a champion, they get to keep him forever, whereas all the other civs will lose their champions to old age if nothing else.  Seems to be why the longer your world gen goes on, the more likely it is to be overrun by elves.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:53 pm »

You could have searched...
But since the thread's here anyway:
The main reason is because they use wood. The other reason is that they have -1 Damblock.

That is the main reason, but it also doesn't help that their ethics puts them squarely at odds with both dwarf and human civs, who have comparatively very few reasons to go to war.  For this reason, dwarves and humans are far more likely to be fighting the elves at the same time than they are to be fighting each other.  Not even goblins have so many wars going on at the same time. 
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 11:56:29 am »

God. If you increased the Elves defence slighlty, then you genned the world for thousands of years.... Well, the consequeces don;t bear thinking about
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:23:10 pm »

Worldgen wars are pretty messed up right now, and so are elves. They breed like crazy apart from living forever, don't train soldiers, and don't even use their wooden weapons in worldgen all that much.
Give 10 elves some bows and teach them to use it properly, and everyone in worldgen is fuc*ed
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »

Worldgen wars are pretty messed up right now, and so are elves. They breed like crazy apart from living forever, don't train soldiers, and don't even use their wooden weapons in worldgen all that much.
Give 10 elves some bows and teach them to use it properly, and everyone in worldgen is fuc*ed

Or they'd all be shot dead by the next marksdwarf that comes by.  :P

Anyway, I've never understood why it has to be the elves that breed like crazy.  The race I'd think is most likely to be breeding like rabbits would be the humans, in my opinion.

From a logical standpoint, shouldn't races have EITHER immortality or high breeding rate, not both as the elves do?  This is one of those things that seems like it would work best as a trade-off.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 01:14:24 pm »

Elves don't exactly breed like rabits

They just effectively don't lose their population to age and are always at their prime breeding age.

In fact they breed at a rate less then humans and Dwarves as stated in the raws.

So basically it is somewhat of a programming oversight.

Goblins don't overbreed because their society is ridden with murder. If they didn't murder eachother they would breed in a similar way to the elves.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »

Ah okay, thanks for the correction.
Pages: [1] 2