Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Armok save the Queen! (Succession game, League-sponsored)  (Read 4985 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok save the Queen! (Succession game, League-sponsored)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 06:17:46 am »

Now if only orcs didnt have trapavoid -shot- ^^  Then again, I dont use traps.

Rogabeetah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 06:59:30 am »

Throwing in some ideas...maybe we could go for an island fort? Maybe look for an island with a large cliff-face and build siege towers to fight off megabeasts moving in from the ocean. Trap some mermaids, build a sacrificial shrine up on top of a volcano. Make the most awesome islander dwarfs that ever existed.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 12:32:46 pm »

If there's some space- I wouldn't mind squeezing in on this. If, that is, people think there'd be a fortress left by year nine...

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »

I would request that HFS be present on the map.  Outside of that I have no preferences regarding the embark map.

I'm against the idea of sentencing player-characters to death at the end of a turn, mainly because one of the most enjoyable things for these types of games (at least from my perspective) has been seeing how your little avatar does after you cede to the next player.  That and I don't see what purpose it serves other then to try and keep players from getting attached, which in turn would lead said players to stop caring about the game once their turn is over.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:27:37 pm »

most players would try to take everyone else out with them.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »

No one said anything about killing your character. If you don't want to put food and drink in his house, that's your fault. I plan on a workshop and a lot of supplies, among other things.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 07:24:06 am »

go on, count me in on this if there's room left.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 03:20:23 pm »

just noticed that there are 2 people up for #5.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 06:22:16 pm »

Lol oops. Fixed. Adding TQ as well. If someone can find/generate an appropriate ocean map for the game, that would be cool. I have a lot of trouble with the generator, though I did figure out how to get it to make glaciers and volcanoes.
The sigs topic:

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

wait, do we want an island? (although that would mean no nobles, sieges, megabests, and other stuff that arrives. But immigrants and dwarven caravans will still come.)
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Rogabeetah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42:08 pm »

wait, do we want an island? (although that would mean no nobles, sieges, megabests, and other stuff that arrives. But immigrants and dwarven caravans will still come.)
If we make it on an evil ocean, we would still get raids potentially from megabeasts and other creatures. Or, we could pick a cape, so it is still connected to land for sieges. I just wanted to throw some ideas out there to ponder over. Islands would PROBABLY be better for mega-projects though.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 06:00:22 am »

Well after poking around I discovered that finding an island that actually fits within a single embark region, much less one that could be squeezed into a reasonable embark size, is virtually impossible. Though I did have a filedump site up for such a site (supposedly), I never got to open it before my idiot roommate closed the page. It doesn't appear in my history either, so I don't know what he did.  I think the ideal thing to look for if we want to fool around with an ocean is a volcanic cape in an evil ocean.  I found a volcanic obsidian-layer forested cape today, with an aquifer and *NO* stone or magma above the aquifer.  Fun, eh? Try breaching an aquifer in the current version with no access to mechanisms, hah! No cave-in exploit, smoothing or anything. Of course I did it with windmills, vertical axles, and a ton of good old-fashioned dwarf muscle in just over a year of playing (without neglecting the economy) but it is still a fun challenge if any of you want the map.  The problem is it's Calm, so after the aquifer it's a dud map. Same with the volcanic island map I found.

Any island we embark on won't be completely contained within our embark site, so it will play just like a cape except for the lack of land-related Fun stuff.  It is therefore my suggestion that when considering seaside maps, we ignore islands. I assume with a truly detailed understanding of the parameter system you could make the perfect map. But that's beyond me currently.

So, other suggestions? An orc-mod run on my aquifer volcano map is a possibility, but in my honest opinion it would be boring as heck with Calm seas. Going to amp up the evil and run a few more tries. Maybe the same seed with evil parameters altered. Will let you know.
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 06:24:28 am »

We're up to long, sprawling sinister volcanic coastline now (evil but not savage). Working on savagery...

Edit: Changing savagery is a deal-breaker in all cases due to civilizations not forming on savage areas. This leads to countless rejections, and certainly a very different generated map. So, we have an evil contaminated saltwater "swamp", basically a dead sea, with a highly volcanic coast. Sound good to anyone?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pardon me for badmouthing my roommate, but when someone borrows your computer you expect them not to close/delete things.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:43:16 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 06:44:34 am »

There are countless other sites along the coast, but I'm afraid at no point do the mountains seem to reach the coast, so HFS is out of the question. I could probably fix this by altering/removing erosion, but likely resulting in an altered coastline.
The sigs topic:

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 03:21:56 pm »

Try saving the map, then running worldgen a few times without erosion.
That's the only way you're going to get a coastal map with mountains unless you settle for a lake instead of the ocean proper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3