Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Armok save the Queen! (Succession game, League-sponsored)  (Read 4984 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Armok save the Queen! (Succession game, League-sponsored)
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:14:46 am »

Alllright then. It's time for our first game. Sorry about being so inactive lately, but honestly when it comes down to priorities classes and personal relationships trump internet. Hopefully this weekend will make up for my shortcomings in the forum and my responsibilities in our new multiplayer league.

So, what do you want? A nice Bloodline game for our founders, and maybe a couple of side-games of rotating succession to keep us busy while we wait for our turn in the main event?

Well, if someone would tell me how to find the seed in a map file, I have a gorgeous site for a game. Obsidian is the main stone, magma pipe of course, average wildlife, underground river, flux, sand, rock crystal (I've played on it once), 4x3, yellow diamonds, rubies, bauxite, etc. Had a lot of fun there on my nearly first game when 49 humans showed up to siege my 47 peaceful dwarves.

Survival will probably run a round two soon, with a more scary map. It was fun to race for killing HFS, best economy, and all that, but cruddy that we didn't have any undead to dismember (or vice versa!)

While our main game runs we can have a couple of private games too; a few players from Survival have caught my eye as great teammates if they'll have me. If anyone needs help setting up an extra game then let me know. I don't want to volunteer anyone without asking, but several other people are more knowledgeable than me and may be more helpful with questions.

List of Players
1. Architect? (me)
2. Linthar
3. Lafiel
4. Dante'
5. Sava2004
6. Rogabeetah
7. Camkitsune
8. Chicken Launcher
9. Tack
10. TauQuebb
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:23:13 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armok save the Queen! (Succession game, League-sponsored)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:40:32 am »

Well, if someone would tell me how to find the seed in a map file, I have a gorgeous site for a game.

If you currently have a fortress on the map just go to export local images, and save a image of any level and it will put the world gen parameters into you folder. If you don't have a game going on the map it's even easier go to legends and press p to export map and gen info. Either way you'll get a file will the name of save then param_region and it contains all three seeds that were used in world gen.

Edit: Oh yeah and I'm definitively interested in joining this game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:42:40 am by Linthar »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29:09 am »

Thanks for the helpful info. Welcome, Ruler 2!

On looking at that site again, it may not be the optimum site. Sure, building everything out of the obsidian that runs for 5 layers was fun, but it seems a little too easy to me. What do you think?

edit:another grammar edit.
The sigs topic:

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:41:47 am »

I'm in. What DF version/mods do I need?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:07:15 am »

Well I wasn't planning on any mods at all, but if someone strongly suggests one we could use it. Current version, no mods at the moment.
The sigs topic:

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:56 am »

I'm in.  I dont mind any mods if you want them, As long as they dont do something to truely fck with the game,  Like hell the plant mods would be fine, maybe orc or raptor (or the dreded Rapoc or Ortor)  But lets try to keep away from anything that makes us not-dwarfs or adds in stuff like garbage etc.  But hey its your decision just as long as I can still use my mayday XD

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:42:17 am »

I'm in.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Rogabeetah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 12:50:57 pm »

Count me in. I've been wanting to do this for far too long.  :)

And oh yeah, personally I prefer the Mayday tileset, but that isn't that all too important. I can roll with just about anything too. I suppose it's your call, Architect.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:53:49 pm by Rogabeetah »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:50:40 pm »

Long as its compatable we should just be able to load up the save, With mods we can just create a new folder for the game (wich is what I do with any succession game I play anyway, as backup)

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 12:51:52 pm »

If you've got room for one more, I'd like to join.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 01:13:09 pm »

Count me in if there's space!
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 09:29:12 pm »

Oh yes, there will be room! It's a Bloodline game, meaning everyone only plays once.

I really want to challenge everyone with mods, but we have too many new players who shouldn't be facing orcs. Of course there are easy, simple ways of making orcs wet themselves at the mere sight of your fortress, so maybe we could roll a Dwarf Heaven orc game and just run 3-4 experienced players before turning it over to the newer ones? Let me know your thoughts on this, and meanwhile I'll update the existing list of players by order of posts.
The sigs topic:

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:28 am »

I'm fine with Orcs what with me being 6th in the line-up...   By year six presumably the defenses will be more or less up-to-snuff, or else teetering on the edge of ruins.  Either way it should make for a fun and memorable experience.

I've got no prefrence regarding Mods, as long as they don't make the game either laughably easy or Syobon Action hard.

One question, when we hit the end of the player line-up, what happens?
My suggestion would be that we loop back to the beginning and insert new players into the line as we go.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lastly, what's the policy on HFS?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:06:34 am »

I will be probably able to join.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 05:18:10 am »

Alright, we have 8 players. Now we just need a map. I have a lovely orc-mod map up, and I will upload my folder for the first save (it also has an extra Shape from the wiki, which will appear in carvings and decorations). This map has everything, from glaciers to tundra to swamps, and it's set for high vulcanism, with abundant vents and volcanoes. If we have any kind of consensus on what we want in a map, I will find the appropriate site. Otherwise I'll pick something very nasty in the most challenging biome I can find, with enough resources to let us have a lot of Fun.

Who knows: we can evaporate an entire glacier with magma, construct a wooden city with "corduroy" roads over a swamp, or conquer the biggest nastiest cave you've seen. Thinking of a suboceanic or subvolcanic Fortress... Or we can keep it simple and (relatively) easy for the new players involved, with just a mountain, forest, HFS and a volcano.  Already have a map for that, with a starting civ at war with the Elves! Anything we do will be made more interesting by the Orcs. I vote all kinds of wonderful, nasty homemade traps for the Orcs...

Also, each player builds a home and locks themselves in at the end of their turn, never to be released (you cannot make the Mayor/Leader or leading noble your character, obviously).

The sigs topic:
Pages: [1] 2 3