Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 66508 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.2 up!)
« Reply #225 on: February 05, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »

Thought I would describe my experiences with this mod, I hope its usefull.  :)

Its the 9th year(Mid-Winter). This mod is more "active", but not much more challenging. It might be my location or world, but I have survived most attacks unscaved. Most injuries are typically bowmen. I use no complicated traps at all, and havent even had to use my drawbridge, except when I made a mistake upgrading my fortifications. It seems to me the triggers are lagging. I get sieges a couple years "late", when they that arent deadly. First treant siege was way too easy, my hammerers blasted through them. The only real troubles I have are when giant snatchers find my civilian dwarves walking around.

The world I generated was a large one, and all the civilizations are there, so im guessing its either my location or I was too carefull. :P
Maybe you're just good at dwarf fortress.   ;D

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2010, 04:08:53 pm »

Maybe you're just good at dwarf fortress.   ;D

Sounds that way. I thought I was good at it too, but I'm learning from this mod.

I had given up on Vanilla (at least until the next release) because all you have to do is cultivate a squad of legendary champion wrestlers, which takes no time at all, and suddenly you are invulnerable. Losing is fun. God mode is dull. The only way I have ever lost was by failing to understand water dynamics and flooding my fortress.

Then came Relentless Assault, in which I'm currently playing my first fortress. I no longer have the same confidence about DF. To take a simple benchmark: right now my refuse pile has 25 dwarf chunks in it, and my catacombs have run out of coffins for the third time. This never happened in Vanilla, even when I was brand new. A lizardman siege has just slaughtered the majority of my military, which was decimated from defending against skeletal elks and musk oxen. And those skeletal animals no longer make me yawn; even skeletal rhesus macaques managed to kill a seasoned soldier. (Granted, he was beyond tired after fighting the lizardmen, but still, this couldn't have happened in Vanilla.)

I really, really like this mod. Thanks for building it!
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2010, 04:15:07 pm »

because all you have to do is cultivate a squad of legendary champion wrestlers
Doing it wrong.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:43 am »

The install instructions speak of 4 files but there are 8 in the zip? Where do I put the 4 non overwriting ones?  ???

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2010, 09:37:38 am »

Also, is the mod compatible with DFG21?

Where do I put the graphics archive files, at the root of graphics?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2010, 09:51:40 am »

what would someone do about contributing to the mod?
Nom nom nom

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2010, 02:05:53 pm »

Also, is the mod compatible with DFG21?
Should be.
Where do I put the graphics archive files, at the root of graphics?
Yep.  Your graphics folder should have a series of text files and two folders: one "civ" and the other "animals."
The install instructions speak of 4 files but there are 8 in the zip? Where do I put the 4 non overwriting ones?
In the root of the objects folder, next to the overwriting ones.
what would someone do about contributing to the mod?
Send me a PM, I guess.  Keep in mind that the new version of DF should be coming out within a couple weeks, though, and this won't be at all compatible with it, and might be (hopefully) made redundant by endless attacks from the new underground.  I haven't really done anything with it for the last couple months for this reason.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2010, 02:00:20 am »

Thanks nil.

Is your mod compatible with dig deeper? I guess not?

The install seems to work but really if you could update your notes in the download page (redirected one) and also edit your first post of your thread, it would go a long way helping new people.

Thanks for the rest, I'm just trying your mod right now... Just a question, in horrifying land are the critters now able to move through all the map to seek you, or as they 'activate when you close in' as usual?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2010, 01:37:45 pm »

Thanks nil.

Is your mod compatible with dig deeper? I guess not?
Actually, it probably is.  Incompatibility only comes from duplicate entries, and Relentless Assault has very few new entries to be duplicated.
The install seems to work but really if you could update your notes in the download page (redirected one) and also edit your first post of your thread, it would go a long way helping new people.
I'll check it out.
Thanks for the rest, I'm just trying your mod right now... Just a question, in horrifying land are the critters now able to move through all the map to seek you, or as they 'activate when you close in' as usual?
The only difference from vanilla when it comes to dwarf/creature interactions is that dwarves are (slightly) smaller in this.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

ok... I have restarted on a bigger map, I'll tell you when I get into the 'relentless assaults' phase. I'm a newbie, you wonder how many of them I'll survive? Me too!  ;D

Oh btw, how do you mod the frequency and strength of assaults? I'm very interested in optimizing my suffering!!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:11 pm »

ok... I have restarted on a bigger map, I'll tell you when I get into the 'relentless assaults' phase. I'm a newbie, you wonder how many of them I'll survive? Me too!  ;D

Oh btw, how do you mod the frequency and strength of assaults? I'm very interested in optimizing my suffering!!

Strength of assault is unrelated to anything you can do, except breaking sieges. Over time, as more sieges are defeated, the armies sent against you will get more numerous. Lowering the values of progress triggers will get them attacking you faster, and therefore start building up their strength earlier.

I've also noticed that civilizations I've dealt severe casualties to often take breaks for a while before eventually coming back with more troops. It therefore helps to have many hostile civs capable of attacking you. With 13 enemy civs, I rarely go one season without a siege.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2010, 04:49:02 pm »

Can sieges cumulate? i.e the humans stay for too long, can a goblin siege happen at the same time?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2010, 04:50:14 pm »

no nothing can come once a seige is there, though an ambush could come and then a seige, or multiple ambushes, or two seiges at EXACTLY the same time, which is rare.
Nom nom nom

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »

oki.

First year have passed, in my haunted blight... No migrants, no dwarven caravan!! I believed I would get one the first year as usual, is it normal?

(no attack either though, relief!)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:01 am »

It's unusual at best to not have the dwarven caravan show up in the first year, but I wouldn't panic until the second year.  Is it possible that you're on an island?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22