Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 66491 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.2 up!)
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2010, 05:32:53 am »

It is ok, it arrived in the 2nd year. Sigh of relief!! I sold vast amount of stone crafts in exchange of an anvil and others things, oh yes!  ;D

Now, I just need to attract some more fellows comrades, before the first assault... Should the first one not happen the first year, or I'm to pitiful to attract anybody?  :o

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »

You do have to get to a certain point in the life of a fort in order to attract attention. 20 useful residents (no missing limbs, children don't count) seems to be a good number (based on the latest DF talk).
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:45 pm »

Actually I think you can increase the strength/quantity of attacks by increasing the site pop number of an entity.  Thats why Relentless Assault civs will send multiple ambushes per season and why the lizardmen show up with 5 squads when they feel like it. 

It seems odd that nothing showed up in the first year though.  I guess you might have triggered the frogmen in say autumn and now they have to wait until summer to actually come and siege.  Or it could just be random chance I guess, buying an anvil and digging out some living space is usually enough to trigger frogs at least.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2010, 02:06:48 am »

I got the frogs the second year, in Spring. I just repulsed their assault with a rag tag of wrestler minutemen backed by my one of my initial dwarf which was very high in XBow from the start. He fired bolts at the speed of a machinegun, this was funny.

Now on to 2nd year...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2010, 07:20:07 am »

Vorpal, if you want tips on how to survive the assaults, heres a few.

1) Get a well, quick.  ;)

2) Get a drawbridge hooked up to a lever INSIDE your base(near the meating hall?)  :P

3) "This one takes up the most time". Build a fortification, "square thingy, make it pretty big", with two Z-lvs, near the entrance of your base. Have it only accesible from an underground tunnel that exits in your base. Have a second Z-lv allows your crossbowmen to hit closer targets(and since their range isnt far in fortifications, it helps. :)

That is really all you need. If you want some bonus points, station cage traps (later on) all around the field, place dogs on restraints everywhere(you should have one at your entrence and next to your fortification), and build your achery targets in the fortification, so that you will always have crossbowmen on standby. Oh, forgot to mention this, keep your melee fighters near the bridge(inside side so that you can close it just in case, unless you dont care about your military dieing, then the outside would be better) just incase monsters get by your machine gun  crossbowmen.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2010, 08:35:27 am »

Interesting side effect of putting this on top of the Dig Dwarfier Mod... I ended up having to play as the Frogmen (Which obviously doesn't work so well). Went into Legends and somehow the Frogmen took the Dwarf slot in civ creation and the Frogmen were replaced by... squirrels. Needless to say I had to run a clean install and gen a new world.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2010, 04:40:03 pm »

Yea I once tried to paste together Relentless and Legendary Lands mods.  I could buy bat silk and meat, just meat with a blank space in front of it for 0.  Crashed on embark sadly. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »

Interesting side effect of putting this on top of the Dig Dwarfier Mod... I ended up having to play as the Frogmen (Which obviously doesn't work so well). Went into Legends and somehow the Frogmen took the Dwarf slot in civ creation and the Frogmen were replaced by... squirrels. Needless to say I had to run a clean install and gen a new world.
Yeah, this tends to happen when duplicate entries pop up.  If you check errorlog.txt the offending entries should be easy to find.

Since I switch back and forth between this and CivForge a lot, I have on more than one occasion accidentally combined them.  Once I played about a year into it, seemed to work alright.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2010, 02:02:25 am »

Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm in my third year and things are rather quiet, just had once the frogmen. It also has to do with my newbiness, I develop slowly and awkwardly, so I don't appear as a prize target I think.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:45 pm »

I just started. Very nice.

I dont see why frogmen (using wooden weapons) have so much grasstrample.
Would'nt all their trees die?
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »

I've having fun with this, myself. I had been using a pair of markscats (I'm combining CatSplosion and RA) at the top of an artificial switchbacking slope so the markscats could cover a 75-tile-long area while remaining stationary themselves for my primary defense, but then treants showed up. It turns out that bone blowdarts are almost completely incapable of hurting the treefolk, so for the first time since the first winter's kobold siege I had to actually seal my fort. Then the treants wrecked all of the grates I had set up to give my soldiers a clear view of the whole path... And that made me sad.

At this point, I'm hiding from a second treant siege while I prepare ways to prevent buildingdestroyers from wrecking 120 grates each time they show up, as well as thinking about ways to actually kill the things. I'm thinking of lining my whole entryway with upright spike traps for emergency use.

Regardless, this mod is the most fun I've had in a long time. Challenging sieges, where I actually have to think and prepare to get through successfully, are very entertaining and satisfying when you win  ;D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 19, 2010, 12:30:29 am »

I have never EVER had all 7 dwarves die on me by winter. 5 by markslizards, 2 by melancholy. I managed to seal the other half of the force my original 5 killed. 2 of the five bled to death after the lizards dumped their arraows into them. They still had time to taunt them before dieing. About a 20 lizard lizards in my trade depot entrance. There I cut a hole with my last dwarf (engrave fortifications) and had him dump every bolt the fortress had(even superior quality chrome arrows the reptiles killed my people with) and I killed them all. The other dwarf went melancholy RIGHT after I opened up the gates. I was like "AGH my immigrants cant get in! But it happened. 2 minutes later my immigrants showed up to a site of disaster. corpes everywhere! all animals were just chilling there. I will remember the fallen. When you new version comes out I want a relentless assault!
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 19, 2010, 01:46:09 am »

err, nice account  ;)

This is strange but things are much calmer in my game, even if I checked,  I had almost all civilizations able to reach me.

First year: nothing
Second year: lizardmen
third year: one goblin snatcher so far

weird, no?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2010, 02:37:17 am »

At this point, I'm hiding from a second treant siege while I prepare ways to prevent buildingdestroyers from wrecking 120 grates each time they show up, as well as thinking about ways to actually kill the things. I'm thinking of lining my whole entryway with upright spike traps for emergency use.
You should use ballistas, take screenshots, and give me some to use in the OP  ;D.  Glad you're enjoying it.
I just started. Very nice.

I dont see why frogmen (using wooden weapons) have so much grasstrample.
Would'nt all their trees die?
Their grasstrample is the same as any normal creature...  I think they just tend to carve a path because their squads are more densely packed than most invaders', simply because they never can carry enough equipment to be even slightly encumbered.
err, nice account  ;)

This is strange but things are much calmer in my game, even if I checked,  I had almost all civilizations able to reach me.

First year: nothing
Second year: lizardmen
third year: one goblin snatcher so far

weird, no?
If you're building slowly you probably just don't have enough fortress value yet.  You're at least on the second trigger (out of five), so you could see frogmen or kobold thieves at any time, plus the lizards and goblins you already have gotten.  Keep building and digging stuff and you'll get elves and humans before too long.  In my experience artifacts tend to be the deciding factors.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 19, 2010, 03:06:23 am »

You should use ballistas, take screenshots, and give me some to use in the OP  ;D.  Glad you're enjoying it.
I would try out siege engines, but the version of CatSplosion I'm using doesn't allow cats to use siege engineers. Also, the killing field of my defensive setup works across 6 z-levels and isn't very big on any one of those, so screenshots wouldn't be too impressive for me.

I've now encountered werewolves, and found them stupidly easy. My sentry animals detected them with enough time for me to get my markscats in place, and then the 'wolves got driven away before they got through the third switchback. I only killed 3 or 4 of them, but they weren't actually a threat. I think the only thing I actually have difficulty with is the treants; with a mooded legendary+5 bonecarver, mooded bowyer, and champion markscats, my soldiers can hit pretty much no matter what, and at the top of that long slope behind fortifications enemy marksmen can't hit them very well at all. The problem with treants is that damblock tag, which prevents my cats from doing more than chip damage which the treants mostly heal as quick as it's done. I don't think I saw more than 2 light grey wounds on any of them before they left at season's end.

So, now I'm building large numbers of steel spikes and mechanisms so I can have a last-resort "murder everything" lever. I've already linked every grate in my entryway to a different lever, so I won't lose them all to the next treant siege I let in, but I'm also probably going to turn up my popcap a bit so I can get some meleers sparring. Cats are size 3, but with sufficient training and suitable equipment, they shall prevail, even against the mighty treants and giants!

...I just find the cat mod hilarious, especially with other mods on that already increase difficulty. The concept of dwarves killing stuff thrice their size is cool, but they're humanoid and mostly just little people. The concept of a sapient housecat killing stuff five times their size, or more? Totally awesome.  8)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22