Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dawn of War 2  (Read 2859 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War 2
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 11:54:47 am »

I could swear I've heard the term "Dead Man in a Can" before...  Can't remember what it was used for though.

The "Canned Corpse" thing just brought that up.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:12 pm »

50% off on steam today!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »

I think the primary problem with the muliplayer is that the population cap makes it impossible to defend anything without micromanaging units that run around every time someone is being captured.

Also, if the Orkz get Tier 3 units, they win.
!!&!!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 03:00:59 pm »

Squad based tactical combat. Most of the "tactics" amount to setting a unit behind cover or in a building. Until you get terminator honors for all of them, and you can just have them stand in the open (they can't use cover in terminator armor anyways) slaughtering anything and everything without any problems. Oh, and you have the same four squads (five if you count the commander, six if you count the canned corpse) throughout the game, each led by an annoying asshole, whom you level up and give equipment to. Your troops appear to be fluff marines, and they easily slaughter the hordes of shitty enemy units (which are the units you play with in multiplayer, by the way).

It's fun for a while, then it gets repetitive and methodical, with the same strategy tending to work against anything (especially once you get the canned corpse to draw fire and generally bash the fuck out of anything in its way). Oh, and none of the characters can die, only the redshirts surrounding them. Named characters just get knocked out and lie on the ground like pussies until another named character wanders over and kicks them in the head a few times. Boss fights are a tedious grind, as they need to be shot thousands of times before they finally die, I remember one of the last ones took over an hour to kill (an unusually obnoxious fight, that one).

If you have gun that increases range, you can have Cyrus sit on the edge of the arena to plink away at that(or for that matter, any) boss, it only takes a good 12 hours or so(less when fighting any boss other then that one) with 0 input on your part beyond the "hold ground" order.

Still, the idea of bosses with 450.000hp against people where 50dps is considered a large amount(and you can't zerg them either) is completely retarded.

What's Last Stand? another set of 3 maps and little else?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Projectmayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 03:15:30 pm »

How much better is the first DOW? I bought DOW 2 after hearing how amazing the first one is but it was terrible, I uninstalled it after 2 days. What a waste of money.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 03:27:40 pm »

Oh, and none of the characters can die, only the redshirts surrounding them. Named characters just get knocked out and lie on the ground like pussies until another named character wanders over and kicks them in the head a few times.

So you only stand a chance of losing when all named characters die, correct?

Still, it's better than DOW1 Story Mode where your hero units get bombed into oblivion by fleets of enemy tanks, only to respawn right back at the base saying, "I'VE NOT BEGUN TO FIGHT!" (You're going to have to pay money in DOW: DC/SS and DOW multiplayer to get them to spawn/respawn). So, of course, those hero units are used as human shields.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:29:36 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 03:50:17 pm »

Last STand is pretty sweet, got to wave 12 (? the one where you fight clones) so far.  Really really wish they had more than one map for it though.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:04 pm »

Last STand is pretty sweet, got to wave 12 (? the one where you fight clones) so far.  Really really wish they had more than one map for it though.
I am only able to play on weekends. I have a lvl 5 mek. Burna+Eavy Armour+Speshul Toolz+Mega Rumbla+Booby Traps+Trophy Rack=Awesomeness

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 07:10:57 pm »

Wait, what's this? Persistent characters on DoWII? Explain yourself!

Seriously, I played the single player through once, did two multiplayer matches, realized it was terrible and quit. Not only did they miss the GRIMDARK and instead put in a bunch of whiny emos, they also missed a rather important part of Dawn of War: The WAR. 20 guys versus 20 guys is not a war, even by console FPS standards. Relic has no right to be as lazy as to take out two essential parts of Warhammer. They fucked up the moment someone put a but on the end of the sentence, "Dawn of War 1 was great."
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »

So, I bought the demo. Stupidly overpriced, but whatever.

It's fun. It really is. I had fun. But really, playing it, I just couldn't get psyched about it. It was fun to play but it wasn't anything amazing. I'll buy it, probably, but in a few years when it's twenty bucks.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »

It's fun. It really is. I had fun. But really, playing it, I just couldn't get psyched about it. It was fun to play but it wasn't anything amazing. I'll buy it, probably, but in a few years when it's twenty bucks.
Bought the demo????????????????????????????????????????????
WHAT IS THIS

Anywhosal I am saddened by a friend on myspace, and by sad I MEAN RAEGING AT HER

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »

I used to play DoW, but the idiotic community on the forums and the fake mapsa made me quit.

By fake maps i mean if you were to draw lines on a peice of paper and units couldnt walk over those lines, you would have a DoW map.

No height advantage, units can shoot through 500 feet of steel and concrete, and everyone seems to have X-ray vision.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »

Heh. I see what you did there. I laughed.

Bought the demo????????????????????????????????????????????
WHAT IS THIS

Anywhosal I am saddened by a friend on myspace, and by sad I MEAN RAEGING AT HER

Firstly, I was joking. Secondly, what the hell does your friend have to do with this topic?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 06:48:59 pm »

The fact that Org even shitted up his own thread makes me laugh quite a bit.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 08:15:02 pm »

It has many things to do with this thread that do not pertain to wither of you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3