Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720678 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3360 on: June 15, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »

I think ambient sounds would be great, as an option of course.
Options are great, but I still don't think it belongs in Stonesense.

Ultimately it's up to the dev team.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 15, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »

Eh.

Just get those sounds and make sure there is ON/OFF switch, and everyone will be happy.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 15, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »

I think ambient sounds might be kinda cool,
but I'd rather you guys focus on the visual stuff.

I think I'd rather have nice-looking waterfalls before we have nice-sounding ones.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »

I think I'd rather have nice-looking waterfalls before we have nice-sounding ones.

This sums up my perspective.  Each of the four visual features in the poll is 10x more appealing to me than sounds.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: June 15, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

I would enjoy ambient sounds but I'd enjoy interface more.  :D

On a more serious note - I'd probably use ambients and turn music off, but the ambients would have to be cleverly designed as not to become a grinding, repetitive sound. The real question is where to get quality sounds... but if you are a hidden composer, Solifuge, I say by all means, go for it!  ;)

This was all considering I could actually run Stonesense and DF at the same time which I can't. Right now Stonesense is just my way of obtaining pretty screenshots.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Komdour

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats with these Urist McBlabla's anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 15, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »

I'm guessing it has something to do with tile transitions, but one feature I would love to see in Stonesense would be a walking animation. Even though I'm no expert, I would think it could be done easily.

"Dwarf" is standing on square at (125x, 10y) dwarf moves to (124x, 10y) set animation "walking downward"

Sure the animation would take a step to realize which direction the dwarf is heading, and would be a step behind on a turn, but this with a decent slide transition over the tiles would create a nice walking effect.
I don't mean to make anyone upset, so if I'm out of line, or it realy isn't possible just tell me.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: June 15, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »

I'm guessing it has something to do with tile transitions, but one feature I would love to see in Stonesense would be a walking animation. Even though I'm no expert, I would think it could be done easily.

"Dwarf" is standing on square at (125x, 10y) dwarf moves to (124x, 10y) set animation "walking downward"

Sure the animation would take a step to realize which direction the dwarf is heading, and would be a step behind on a turn, but this with a decent slide transition over the tiles would create a nice walking effect.
I don't mean to make anyone upset, so if I'm out of line, or it realy isn't possible just tell me.
My understanding is that while it's theoretically possible, it would take a fuckton of spritework, which we really don't have. Considering how many creatures are purple question marks at the moment, I wouldn't prioritize it.

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://zorrilla.me
« Reply #3367 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:49 pm »

Hi there. As there is no issue tracking in google code, ill post here. I'm trying to compile under LINUX, Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
After following the steps in the readme and doing make, i get this huge load of errors which abort my installation. My Allegro dev lib is 4.2, if that may help. Thanks!

http://pastebin.com/rMj9KyQn

Rakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »

There isn't any way to zoom in is there?  Everything is really small..  I tried changing resolutions but didn't have any luck seeing better.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 16, 2010, 12:02:49 am »

I'm making a factory sort of complex and I have it so that steam and smoke are spewed from smoke stacks.
I eagerly decided to see how it looks in stonesense, but to my amazement there seems to be no cloud sprites in stonesense.. and if there is they're disabled by default.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:23 am »

Hi there. As there is no issue tracking in google code, ill post here. I'm trying to compile under LINUX, Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
After following the steps in the readme and doing make, i get this huge load of errors which abort my installation. My Allegro dev lib is 4.2, if that may help. Thanks!

http://pastebin.com/rMj9KyQn

there's your problem.

you need 4.9.19

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: June 16, 2010, 09:28:01 am »

The real question is where to get quality sounds... but if you are a hidden composer, Solifuge, I say by all means, go for it!  ;)

Aquiring sounds or music isn't a problem. I've got connections with a professional cinematic score composer (and he's worked with me before), and have played and written music for 8 years now. This is not to say I would trust myself to score DF, as I'm about as mediocre at composition as I am at digital art. I do, however, know how to make sound effects, and also have several open-source SFX libraries.

Anyway, I think it goes without saying that graphics take precedence over any other fluff we conspire to throw in SS. I'm just throwing questions out there to see what sort of interest there is, if any, in non-GFX features. It helps when I'm trying to invision the big picture of what all these things are going into... and in the universe where we were ready to, and Tarn gave us the okay, what sort of features a Stonesense GUI might have.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:03 am »

It would be much, much better slower if stonesense could draw all these stones, equipment, blood, vomit, corpses etc.
I read some community fortress some time ago. This fort was hit hard by FPS monster and next player decided to "dine in hell". Fort surprisingly survived that, but it was A LOT of death, blood and corpses.

Player posted screenshots of DF and stonesense next to each other. Stonesense did not show flaming, bloody hellhole. It was... so clean.

And it is why showing these things would be a lot better.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 16, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »

Here's a list of Graphical Display issues, suggestions, concepts, etc. for the consideration of the team, and for open discussion.

1) Displaying Mist Tiles:
Vapor clouds, like steam, miasma, magma-mist, etc, do not display as yet. I recall an earlier branch with particle mist on a beach, but haven't seen it since. Can mists be displayed, and if so are they handled with some simple catch-all that can pull appropriate colors and all that, or must different mist IDs be handled individually? I'd rather like to use textured alpha-tinted cubes if possible rather than particles, but either work.

2) Zooming In/Out:
Being able to change the zoom level to get a closer picture, or zoom out to get a larger overland picture would be very nice for high-res screens that display at finer resolutions, or lower-res screens that. Is it possible with the current engine? If so, what sort of difficulties are in the way of changing the zoom level? Alternatively, there is the potential for doing an alternate Bird's Eye terrain map, using a set of tiny isometric tiles that would display a much larger area?

3) Full Object Display:
Though framerate would be crippled if Stonesense were to render every object in realtime, could we create a static "Full-Rendering" mode that would show every barrel, stone, bloodstain, stockpile, bin, sock, and so on in a static view? This would keep the game smooth for people who are using SS paralell ti DF as an in-game visualizer, while also allowing people who want to export pretty screenshots with all the innumerable details.

4) Better Object Tiles:
Many object tiles, like plants, boulders, or pebbles, define the nature of the tile they're on (plants default the tile to grass [VEGITATION], pebbles to stone, etc.) However, plants grow in the desert, and when they are harvested, the tile below it is discovered to be sand, and not grass. Are plants, boulders, etc. treated as Floors to DF? Can we retrieve tile-type information (Dirt, Sand, Grass) in addition to the object type in the tile? Can we only know that the tile contains a Dead Plant, or can we know that it is a Dead Plant on Sand, or a Live Grass tile? If we can't get more tile details, would it be possible for SS to check, when displaying one of these tiles, for whatever tile type made up the majority of adjacent tiles, and estimate what the floor under it should be? It'd be similar to the Gem/Ore Vein display concept. Objects that override tile type that I know of are Dead Plant, Live Plant, Tree/Cactus/Mushroom, Boulder, Pebbles, and perhaps Webs. There may be more now too. Same concept would work for creating Floor-type Brook Tiles (they could pull from the material of the Tile type they're on top of).

5) Better Auto-Coloring Palette:
I'd rather like to standardize the Autocoloring Palettes used to colorize greyscale tiles, dwarves, etc. Where are these colors defined, and is it possible to redefine them on the user's end, similar to how colors can be redefined in the DF raws? If there's nothing else for it, I could take one of the programmers aside and discuss color theory, and brainstorm some equations for shifting Hue, Value, and Saturation to create a series of 8-color gradients from a palette of single, pre-defined RGB color values.

6) "Oversized" Tiles:
For the present engine, breaking up Ramp gemoetries into a Bottom and Top segments is needlessly complex, and creates uneccesary extra/separate sprites for the engine to display for a given tile object. Allowing for Tiles/Floors that were oversized by, perhaps, 8 transparent pixels on every egde (+16 pixles wide/tall) would both allow for some flexibity in creating non-cubic tiles (ala Beefmo's new stone tiles), single-graphic ramps (rather than splitting them between a "floor" and a "tile".

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 16, 2010, 03:14:07 pm »

In my opinion, the most important thing is to display objects, but to have each type toggled.
personally I'd turn off everything other than blood, it's weird to see a fortress without blood!

Hopefully with these toggles you can speed the game up somewhat.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 379