Port to OSX
- 7 (8.4%)
Printing
- 0 (0%)
Other: Describe in new post
- 6 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's next for Dwarf Therapist?  (Read 7436 times)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
What's next for Dwarf Therapist?
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »

Hello users of Dwarf Therapist!

The 0.4.x series appears to be stabilizing (recently fixed the main linux bug, and a windows bug with Athlon procs), and it's time to plan for future features.

Below I will break down each of the poll options with a description and estimated effort on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being something that would probably take more than a few weeks of coding/researching...

Dwarf States
This would involve expanding the dwarf details pane with more info. Things such as hungry, thirsty, unconscious, bleeding etc... It would also include moods and body part health.
ESTIMATE: 6

Dwarf Thoughts
This would involve listing recent mood modifiers in the dwarf details pane. "Was excited by a cat leather earring lately" And the like...
ESTIMATE: 4

Dwarf Likes & Dislikes
This would also be placed in the dwarf details pane, and would show a list of things a dwarf likes and doesn't like.
ESTIMATE: 4

Military Features
This would have to start small. Meaning nothing more than identifying if a dwarf is active military, setting of weapon and armor choices, and identifying their squad. Squad management would have to come later.
ESTIMATE: 7

More Icons on Dwarfs
This would be a handy set of icons next to dwarf names in the main grid. As opposed to introducing new column types. Meaning if you had a noble, legendary, active military dwarf he would show up with something like
[icon_for_noble][icon_for_legendary][icon_for_military] Urist McBasher
ESTIMATE: 9 (getting decent icons is like discovering a new oil deposit: very rare)

Location Display
Simple columns for showing where a dwarf is on the map including inside/outside and X,Y and Z coordinates
ESTIMATE: 2

Relationships
Some way to list other relations of dwarfs. Lovers, mates, kids etc... This would let you follow the relationship tree around your fort and would be shown the dwarf details pane.
ESTIMATE: 3

Port to OSX
With windows and linux versions cranking along now, OSX is another natural choice. I was able to get my hands on a busted old macbook, but it is only temporary. I was able to get DT building on OSX, but it doesn't read or write data from/to DF yet. At least it launched though :) Would still take a considerable amount of work to get it to the windows level.
ESTIMATE: 10

Printing
A somewhat rare request, but for some reason it keeps popping up in my head that it would be good to do. I could see it being useful to print out your dwarfs for a fort, then go take a crap/sit on your deck/smoke a cigarette etc... While perusing your fine handiwork, and making decisions for when you're back in front of the game.
ESTIMATE: 6 (never done a print setup before)

Other
You tell me!

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's next for Dwarf Therapist?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:50:04 pm »

I demand.........

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:41:32 pm »

I voted for States, but Thoughts is a close close second, imho.

I demand.........

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I totally heard the "DAANAAAAAAAH" when I read that. Wild.
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:02:12 pm »

I totally heard the "DAANAAAAAAAH" when I read that. Wild.
+1

What's next is the removal of counting snatched children. :D

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »

Other.
Code in auto-enablers, so different professions automatically get jobs assigned, for example:
A lye makers migrates, and is automatically assigned to farming.
A child grows up to be a peasant, and is automatically assigned masonry.

Pretty please!!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:16:46 am »

Militairy, then Dwarf states! :D
I love the way this is going ^^
Other.
Code in auto-enablers, so different professions automatically get jobs assigned, for example:
A lye makers migrates, and is automatically assigned to farming.
A child grows up to be a peasant, and is automatically assigned masonry.

Pretty please!!
Also seconded, I'd love to make every immigrant instant-Hauler :D

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:36:45 am »

I would love military feature to auto-designate non-sleeping, non-eating, non-drinking squad member as squad leader

Zavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:02:56 am »

Voted military features. I would also like to see parts of the dwarf states visible in military view. Mainly, any injured parts if they have any. Now thats why the dwarf aint sparring!

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 10:33:00 am »

Of the ones you've listed I must say military. The various iconography ones are nice, but as you said it's mostly just waiting for someone else to show up with a decent set.... no reason you can't do something else while you wait. :P

Military, though, seems like the one most in-line with the program as a whole - extending the functionality in a meaningful direction. Most of the other things would be nice tidbits, but not really that useful.

And after military... I must say something more to do with the core functionality. Other people have already said automatic conversions for immigrants and whatnot, and that makes sense as a next step for a superior version of Dwarf Manager.

Also a sort of more simple thing that could happen at any time - "strict" mode, where you can't change the labors of the nobles and children. I despise removing functionality to align with a set of rules, but a simple "option" with default "on - can't change child/noble jobs" would be... appropriate.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »

For those of you choosing other, please make a new enhancement request here: http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/  Issues -> New Issue. If your suggestion is only here, I guarantee I will lose track of it :)

Look's like Military has taken the lead. I'll give the poll a couple more days, and then let everyone know what I've started on.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »

Also a sort of more simple thing that could happen at any time - "strict" mode, where you can't change the labors of the nobles and children. I despise removing functionality to align with a set of rules, but a simple "option" with default "on - can't change child/noble jobs" would be... appropriate.
That is already in the next version :)

Massena

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07:08 pm »

Mac version would be very appreciated! :D

Great work so far!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 12:29:12 pm »

Would it be possible to have DT check if the military dwarf has all the proper equipment available?
<3

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:01 pm »

Would it be possible to have DT check if the military dwarf has all the proper equipment available?
Hmm, you mean make sure your spear dwarf has a spear? I suppose it may be possible to run through the list of owned items. But that would have to be a step 2.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 03:06:33 pm »

Hmm, you mean make sure your spear dwarf has a spear? I suppose it may be possible to run through the list of owned items. But that would have to be a step 2.

Technically, it wouldn't be a matter of owned items, but of the dwarf's inventory, since dwarves don't own their equipment the same way they own their clothes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3