Port to OSX
- 7 (8.4%)
Printing
- 0 (0%)
Other: Describe in new post
- 6 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's next for Dwarf Therapist?  (Read 7428 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: What's next for Dwarf Therapist?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 04:14:25 pm »

"Other".

I'd like a function that shows the dwarf's (highest) moodable skill, and a big X if "none".  (Stupid woodcrafts...)

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 04:56:15 pm »

Other: Saving and loading your labor configuration. This would allow the whole fortress to rapidly switch gears without having to manually go in and rearrange everyone's labors.
Example: When traders arrive, load a profile in which all non-essential labor is turned off in favor of hauling, and all your broker's labors are disabled.
When you are done trading, load a previous profile to put everyone back to work.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 06:43:13 pm »

"Other".

I'd like a function that shows the dwarf's (highest) moodable skill, and a big X if "none".  (Stupid woodcrafts...)

This.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:46 pm »

"Other".

This.
I'm going to need you guys to explain this to me a bit better. I understand some labors have skills that are "moodable" meaning they have at least 1xp in that skill, which may factor into what they try to create when they are taken by a mood. But I don't understand how that is chosen. Is it the highest skill always? And would this be shown in the details pane?

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 07:12:50 pm »

I'd like to be able to identify families, if they have housing, and what kind of housing they have...if that's possible.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 11:20:42 am »

The mechanics of moodable skills should be explained in reasonable detail here on the wiki.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:38 pm »

Hey Chmod. I've played DF for a few months and recently came across Dwarf Therapist and your program really helped me get a fortress going, before I had trouble getting any fortress over 20-30 dwarves running effectively. I'd like to toss a vote for working on a military and would like to suggest a feature I'd love to see in the future.

I'd love to see a... I suppose you would call it secondary interface to the grid interface of jobs you see in DT right now. Something like an interface where you can set a number of dwarfs you want in a certain job (either pre-defined jobs, custom professions, or based off of the duties alone) instead of modifying the duties of each single dwarf. Like you could go in after removing all duties from every dwarf and say you want two dwarves to work on mining, one on wood cutting, and another on carpentry and so on. Maybe there could be an option where you can have the game assign dwarfs to jobs based on who has the highest skill rank (the two dwarfs with the highest mining become miners) or where the dwarves with the least training take up a job (two random dwarfs become the miners and while work is slow, you don't produce as much garbage rock :) ). I'm not too sure how hard it would be to program this into DT so I hope I'm not asking too much, but it might be a nice addition as I sometimes get confused over how many dwarfs I have working on a certain job.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 02:14:48 pm »

Hey Chmod. I've played DF for a few months and recently came across Dwarf Therapist and your program really helped me get a fortress going, before I had trouble getting any fortress over 20-30 dwarves running effectively. I'd like to toss a vote for working on a military and would like to suggest a feature I'd love to see in the future.

I'm happy to hear it's of use!

I'd love to see a... I suppose you would call it secondary interface to the grid interface of jobs you see in DT right now. Something like an interface where you can set a number of dwarfs you want in a certain job (either pre-defined jobs, custom professions, or based off of the duties alone) instead of modifying the duties of each single dwarf. Like you could go in after removing all duties from every dwarf and say you want two dwarves to work on mining, one on wood cutting, and another on carpentry and so on. Maybe there could be an option where you can have the game assign dwarfs to jobs based on who has the highest skill rank (the two dwarfs with the highest mining become miners) or where the dwarves with the least training take up a job (two random dwarfs become the miners and while work is slow, you don't produce as much garbage rock :) ). I'm not too sure how hard it would be to program this into DT so I hope I'm not asking too much, but it might be a nice addition as I sometimes get confused over how many dwarfs I have working on a certain job.
So some sort of job assignment wizard? I think it's a good idea, but it would require an enormous amount of code to get going. I would think sorting by skill order would get you about 80% of the way there. But it would be awesome to allow filtering on more than just names in the future. Say if you could write a filter something like this.

"All male dwarfs with Rage >= 70, toughness < 2" ASSIGN: Pump Operation (to prep guys for military service etc...)

Good idea, just a long way off.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 07:21:00 pm »

Since Military features seem to be winning so far, I spent some time today fleshing out weapon choices and squad hierarchy...

Here's a teaser (NOTE this is still showing a lot of sleight-of-hand, and not fully functional)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 07:44:51 pm »

You sir a full of 'win'.

Reminds of X-Com for some reason...makes me want to sort the soldier out by mental aptitude.  Cautious guys go to crossbow while the high stress folks go into hammer training.

Excellent work.  My OCD approves of your work!

Yoj

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 12:09:58 pm »

You sir a full of 'win'.

Reminds of X-Com for some reason...makes me want to sort the soldier out by mental aptitude.  Cautious guys go to crossbow while the high stress folks go into hammer training.

Excellent work.  My OCD approves of your work!

Yoj
X-Com-ishness is high praise! Thank you Yoj! The more I add to this gui the more I feel like I'm playing an RPG. I stayed up way past bedtime last night trying to get someone to level 10 stonecrafting :) Stupid progress bars...

Angellus

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »

Hey, this seems to be going very much in a winning direction :D
I'd like to ask if it is possible to integrate the manager queue list into DF
(http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43407.0)

I think this would be a very nice add-on for DT.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 02:08:33 pm »

While technically possible to integrate the manager list, I think it would have to be read only. Creating new jobs means allocating memory inside DF which so far I've been able to avoid. Would just showing the managed jobs list be of any help?

Angellus

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »

While technically possible to integrate the manager list, I think it would have to be read only. Creating new jobs means allocating memory inside DF which so far I've been able to avoid. Would just showing the managed jobs list be of any help?
That would also be great, the allocating memory part would be greater, but the showing of manager jobs would be great on it's own.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 04:29:55 pm »

The manager (like most of DF interface) is so bad it would needs a WHOLE new external tool on the scale of DTherapist to make it usable.  In fact I doubt the DF code can even support a sensible manager at this point as it probably riddled with hard-coded limitations and oversights.

BTW chmod, how are things going with the Military work, any kind of ETA for next release?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 [2] 3