Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8119 8120 [8121] 8122 8123 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9530634 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121800 on: July 12, 2023, 06:51:09 am »

Has the EU approved it? I was hoping they wouldn't
The EU gave the thumbs up in May
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #121802 on: July 12, 2023, 07:12:56 pm »

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23790923/facebook-meta-woman-daughter-guilty-abortion-nebraska-messenger-encryption-privacy

Someone's going to jail for refusing to have a baby.

Dear God man, by your implied sympathy I can only assume you didn't look into this. It is repulsive in the most extreme.

'The charges include having an abortion after 20 weeks, false reporting, and tampering with human skeletal remains.'

The mother-to-be was 17, and the granny-to-be acquired the pills for her. They burned the body and buried it in a field.

These charges, by the way, apply to the granny-to-be. The mother, Celeste 'now 18, was charged as an adult and pleaded guilty in May to removing, concealing or abandoning a dead body. She is scheduled to be sentenced on 20 July. She faces up to two years in prison.'

In other words, she doesn't appear to be convicted of abortion so much as hiding the burned corpse of her child.

Beyond that, she was 29 weeks pregnant.

A foetus at that stage has a working heart, brain, limbs, etc. It can hear and react to noises outside the womb. For Christ's sake, it's only two months before birth.

To sum what you seem to assume is a tear-jerk story of woman vs impersonal machine:
The mother-to-be is (potentially) going to jail for hiding a body.
Her mother is (potentially and rightfully) going to jail for encouraging/supplying the means for an abortion, lying, and hiding a body.

On top of this, the abortion came at 29 weeks. That's.... abhorrent.
The earliest a baby has been born and survived is 21 weeks and 5 days.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121803 on: July 12, 2023, 07:21:40 pm »

That final line is the reason places that allow abortions tend to have a limit of ~20-24 weeks to have it without restriction, and with conditions after that point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121804 on: July 12, 2023, 09:17:27 pm »

Don't worry, father-to-be.  We have the technology for you to volunteer yourself to carry as many fetuses as you want!  You can even call them babies if you prefer.  Not in any real sense, but clearly it's important to you.

Currently it's not an option for people assigned male at birth, for some reason, but there are no physical barriers.  In the meantime I suppose you could donate some organs.  People are dying every day specifically because you haven't done so- humans who can "hear and react to noises" and even love and have conversations!

I'm not saying you should be compelled to donate, that would be inhuman of me.  Truly abhorrent.  A total breach of your bodily autonomy.
But if you feel so strongly...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121805 on: July 13, 2023, 01:39:56 am »

To sum what you seem to assume is a tear-jerk story of woman vs impersonal machine:
The mother-to-be is (potentially) going to jail for hiding a body.
Her mother is (potentially and rightfully) going to jail for encouraging/supplying the means for an abortion, lying, and hiding a body.

On top of this, the abortion came at 29 weeks. That's.... abhorrent.
The earliest a baby has been born and survived is 21 weeks and 5 days.
29 weeks? At that point it becomes a more serious matter, as especially after the burning of the body it becomes impossible to verify thereafter whether a live birth had taken place or not. And regardless of the legal/moral implications, if you must terminate the fetus in the 29th week, ensuring fetal death before termination is only right; it's the least you can do for the fetus to offer palliative or as proper an end possible. Facebook is still fucked and it's a nightmare surveillance state we live in, but this is something else :-\

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121806 on: July 13, 2023, 04:24:27 am »

I don't see why it's bad to abort babies, I think people should do it more often.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121807 on: July 13, 2023, 07:28:02 am »

Don't worry, father-to-be.  We have the technology for you to volunteer yourself to carry as many fetuses as you want!  You can even call them babies if you prefer.  Not in any real sense, but clearly it's important to you.

Currently it's not an option for people assigned male at birth, for some reason, but there are no physical barriers.  In the meantime I suppose you could donate some organs.  People are dying every day specifically because you haven't done so- humans who can "hear and react to noises" and even love and have conversations!

I'm not saying you should be compelled to donate, that would be inhuman of me.  Truly abhorrent.  A total breach of your bodily autonomy.
But if you feel so strongly...

I'm going to be frank, Rolan. My initial reaction to your post was 'Oh, fuck off.' Your tone was disrespectful and intended to incite. Congratulations, it worked.

My more reasoned and collected response is this  -  you're making a transparent reductio ad absurdum. We're not talking about preserving imperiled life, we're talking about preventing life from being imperiled. By the 29th week there are two lives to consider, even if, as LW notes, it is only to provide palliative care.

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121808 on: July 13, 2023, 07:47:01 am »

Don't you think people who reeaally want a kid and can afford to sink as many ressources as they want will keep pushing the record for viable after least duration of pregnancy? If one day rich women start to outsource the peoblem as to not ruin their figure, and we are having the ovussesses broodoodeded routinely after 2-3 weeks, will that then become the standard?

I think they were kinda based in antiquity in those regards. Don't like the face? Rejected after birth, better luck next time.
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121809 on: July 13, 2023, 07:54:42 am »

Don't you think people who reeaally want a kid and can afford to sink as many ressources as they want will keep pushing the record for viable after least duration of pregnancy? If one day rich women start to outsource the peoblem as to not ruin their figure, and we are having the ovussesses broodoodeded routinely after 2-3 weeks, will that then become the standard?

I think they were kinda based in antiquity in those regards. Don't like the face? Rejected after birth, better luck next time.
Football punting babies off of mountains is sadly an anti-Spartan propaganda dreamed up by conniving Delians

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121810 on: July 13, 2023, 08:03:40 am »

No I was not referring to that hole in specific, nor the spartans in specific. But to fail to see the nuance between litterrally throwing it in a pit, and leaving it somewhere, is kind of poetic symbolism.

Yeah I bet they football punting them while the mothers cheered on -.-
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121811 on: July 13, 2023, 08:14:53 am »

Hmmm, I believe they did it culturally in Scandinavia. More 'can't afford to feed this child? Too much a girl? Leave it outside.'

The catholic church permitted it depending on whether the child was baptised/had a name.

If it had a name, then there was a possibility the dead child would return to haunt those who abandoned it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121812 on: July 13, 2023, 08:23:33 am »

I'm going to be frank, Rolan. My initial reaction to your post was 'Oh, fuck off.' Your tone was disrespectful and intended to incite. Congratulations, it worked.

My more reasoned and collected response is this  -  you're making a transparent reductio ad absurdum. We're not talking about preserving imperiled life, we're talking about preventing life from being imperiled. By the 29th week there are two lives to consider, even if, as LW notes, it is only to provide palliative care.
Back atcha, dude.  You can take that "grandmother-to-be" shit and keep it to yourself.

The point of the analogy is that if this was about lives, there's *plenty* you could do.  But you don't, because it isn't about lives.  I can only infer your honest opinion, but I think it's pretty obvious from your hardly-restrained contempt.

I don't care what you convince yourself she "deserves", or what you think is "natural".  She's a human being and you have no right to force her to do anything.  No more than we have the right to force you to save lives.

Even if you actually think the fetus is "a life", hell, you can even think it's a full human being in there... so what?  YOU won't sacrifice jack to save a life, why should she be forced to?  Withholding the use of one's body is NOT murder.

And if the fetus WAS viable that far ahead of schedule, well, I'd place that death on the system which doesn't give pregnant people a choice in the use of their body.  She could have had the baby removed and everyone would be happy.  But she couldn't do that, could she?  Because of laws you're supporting.  This is the fault of YOUR position.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121813 on: July 13, 2023, 08:33:21 am »

What makes me really angry: do we call people who starve victims of murder? No that's over the top! The callousness is a feature not a bug. But then when it gets to antagonising pregnant people suddenly the civil courage boileth over, when the only possible outcome of this discourse is to lower medical care for women. For a fucking blob that's less functional than a two weeeks old kitten, less motherfucking functional than an 8 hour old foal. For a fucking blob so incredibly dependant on it's mother that you will inevitably hurt it too some way down the road, if you hurt the mothers. So what really rubs me the wrong way is that this discourse is allways draped as rational, just because those words make up an internally coherent argument... Bitch if I've ever seen an argument that's entirely hormonal, this is the one, despite how you manage to make yourself sound.
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121814 on: July 13, 2023, 08:35:19 am »

Everyone please amplify their relaxed states; no one here should be placing moral judgements about how likely someone is to care about life. We do not need to devolve to the babykillers vs moral hypocrites when we all know each other are not that -_-
Pages: 1 ... 8119 8120 [8121] 8122 8123 ... 8169