Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8077 8078 [8079] 8080 8081 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9533835 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121170 on: October 30, 2022, 11:28:19 pm »

Billy Joel's Vienna always makes me cry. It hits me where I hurt the most.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121171 on: October 30, 2022, 11:33:52 pm »

Billy Joel's Vienna always makes me cry. It hits me where I hurt the most.

I had to look up the song, listen to it for the first time... it's beautiful, thank you
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121172 on: October 31, 2022, 07:37:17 am »

One of my friends committed suicide; I don't know the exact details but I was told the method he chose showed very much he had no intention of surviving. I knew he was high risk but I still can't quite believe it's reality

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121173 on: October 31, 2022, 07:50:42 am »

Never a good thing to hear. "Sorry to hear that" feels wholly inadequate.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #121174 on: October 31, 2022, 10:32:32 am »

My condolences, LW. Be well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121175 on: October 31, 2022, 12:37:51 pm »

Cheers m8s, I get that there's nothing proper or adequate you can put in words, because I can't really find any either. Mournful because he's gone, angry he didn't reach out to anyone, tired and in disbelief that he is gone and hopeful that he's at least found an end to his troubles. The living shouldn't envy the dead, and I can't help but wonder if the last time I saw him and he was talking about how grateful he was for having met us that he wasn't already thinking of saying goodbye. And I don't even really get time to acknowledge my own griefs before helping others with theirs! But I enjoy most of all helping others, so this is not so bad

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121176 on: November 02, 2022, 05:01:35 pm »

About as definite as it can be, grandfather's starting to transition towards passing. Made it about a month and a half after his wife passed, sounds like it's unlikely he'll last until the end of the month.

Know it's not uncommon for things to go like that, but that don't make it any easier.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121177 on: November 03, 2022, 05:16:30 pm »

I'm stressed out and overwhelmed. Please wish me luck, /bay/. I have too much to do and not nearly enough emotional support from the people around me to be coming out at work and organizing for the strike and trying to get a PhD. I wish I could just sit here and cry but it's not like that will make the mountain of tasks any smaller.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #121178 on: November 03, 2022, 05:46:51 pm »

Take care, Vector! Know that we're all rooting for you here, always.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121179 on: November 03, 2022, 06:22:17 pm »

Remember that things are hard for you not out of some natural development, but because people are making things hard for you. You need to, first of all, get them off your back. Everybody deserves to live a calm, comfortable life. It's POSSIBLE for everybody to live a calm, comfortable life.  The work you're going through now, organizing for a strike, is a momentary investment for a lasting better state.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121180 on: November 03, 2022, 06:27:49 pm »

I wish I could do more for you Vec besides writing 'DO YOUR BEST AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL! FIRE YOUR BLOOD ENGINES AND GET THAT OXYGEN FLOWING!!!'
Sometimes you really have to just go full lone ronin when your colleagues are barely colleagues

About as definite as it can be, grandfather's starting to transition towards passing. Made it about a month and a half after his wife passed, sounds like it's unlikely he'll last until the end of the month.

Know it's not uncommon for things to go like that, but that don't make it any easier.
Yeah, I wish him all the best as he journeys well beyond. One of my colleagues just found out the same - he'd self-diagnosed himself as anemic (he's a medical doctor) but collapsed in work today. Our other docs ran some blood tests and he just found out he'd actually been walking around with late stage liver cancer. It's sombre, but we all have to go one day
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:31:23 pm by Loud Whispers »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #121181 on: November 04, 2022, 12:54:08 am »

Death, Death, Death, Death; Dad in winter '21, Brother in spring '22, Mom in summer '22, love of 25 years fall '22.

I'd still wish on a genie to live for 10,000 years, but it'd be the third wish.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121182 on: November 04, 2022, 06:02:46 am »

Jesus, kaenneth. What calamity has befallen you? I can't even begin to imagine the impact.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #121183 on: November 04, 2022, 12:58:59 pm »

Wow, that's terrible. My condolences, kaenneth. I can't imagine what that must be like to deal with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #121184 on: November 04, 2022, 02:35:58 pm »

Oh man, that's horrible. My condolences. I hope you're doing well despite the circumstances.

I've been in a somewhat similar situation with lots of folk dying within a short period (though not nearly as close/related) and it's not something I wish for anyone to have to deal with.
Pages: 1 ... 8077 8078 [8079] 8080 8081 ... 8169