Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8076 8077 [8078] 8079 8080 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9534062 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121155 on: October 28, 2022, 02:14:15 pm »

Where are you hearing that from?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121156 on: October 28, 2022, 02:15:20 pm »

Almost certainly not. The atmosphere is extremely good at keeping most rocks out - even the biggest "impacts" in recorded history were stopped in the upper atmosphere and killed nobody even when they airbursted directly over a city. One large enough to actually reach the ground is a multi-millenial event, and most of those are more likely to hit empty ocean than populated land. Real killers haven't happened in human history, but are rare enough that an equal amount of history is likely to pass before they're "due".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121157 on: October 28, 2022, 02:57:52 pm »

Man I just love outer space, there's so much shit that could annihilate us instantly, but it's so vast and empty that it's pretty unlikely we'll ever run into any of it. Meteorites moving at relativistic speeds, gamma ray bursts, something going supernova just slightly too close to us, a quasar jet momentarily grazing us, a hypothetical alien species infecting us with a super virus, an orphaned planet drifting through space colliding into our solar system, the sun getting gassy one day and farting in our general direction (via a solar flare) and stripping the Earth of its atmosphere. Really just any number of things.

IIRC, something wouldn't even need to necessary hit the Earth. If something catastrophic happened to any of the 9 planets, like if a meteor hit Venus or Mercury with enough force to upset its orbit, then the delicate gravitational balance of the Solar System might be disrupted enough to pull the Earth closer to the sun, or whip it further away; both death sentences for us.

Man space is so cool, despite being so deadly.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121158 on: October 28, 2022, 06:20:01 pm »

These are all excellent reasons to establish off-Earth colonies as soon as feasible. It won't stop something like a nearby supernova sterilizing the entire star system, but the sooner we can't all be wiped out by a single stupid rock from space the better our long-term chances are.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121159 on: October 28, 2022, 08:47:18 pm »

Problem. Any offworld colonies we could build currently would be very dependent on earth anyways. It's something to work towards, but "get better at living outside of any biosphere" is a tall order. Might be easier to fit the human to the environment than the other way around such as by turning ourselves into star whales with peanut sized brains who just drift and absorb the sun in solar orbit

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121160 on: October 29, 2022, 01:05:02 am »

IIRC, something wouldn't even need to necessary hit the Earth. If something catastrophic happened to any of the 9 planets, like if a meteor hit Venus or Mercury with enough force to upset its orbit, then the delicate gravitational balance of the Solar System might be disrupted enough to pull the Earth closer to the sun, or whip it further away; both death sentences for us.

While that's technically true, the amount of energy needed to disturb the orbits of any of the eight planets is absolutely ludicrous. Pretty much anything that could do it would either be massive enough to distort orbits by sheer passage, or traveling at many, many nines. Sheer mass would be detected centuries in advance (we'd be able to detect shifting distortion in starlight), and pure speed would cause significant erosion or even destruction from simple space dust.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121161 on: October 29, 2022, 03:45:55 am »

Problem. Any offworld colonies we could build currently would be very dependent on earth anyways. It's something to work towards, but "get better at living outside of any biosphere" is a tall order. Might be easier to fit the human to the environment than the other way around such as by turning ourselves into star whales with peanut sized brains who just drift and absorb the sun in solar orbit
I'm thinking we terraform a planet before we colonise it

e.g. we identify a suitable planet, make sure there's no life on it before we arrive, then drop loads of pioneer leafy grasses on them. Then the ferns and trees. Then we start dropping the insects and fungi & meaty animals. Then the humans arrive to a planet that is like Earth but not fucked up

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121162 on: October 29, 2022, 09:26:29 am »

Space is awesome

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121163 on: October 30, 2022, 02:57:08 am »

I wonder how people would feel if the sun suddenly grew a face?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121164 on: October 30, 2022, 03:09:08 am »

I can’t imagine many would notice.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121165 on: October 30, 2022, 03:21:56 am »

It looks like the sun did grow a face.

Its shit eating grin irritates me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121166 on: October 30, 2022, 03:51:34 am »

I can’t imagine many would notice.
Not immediately, anyway. Once the astronomers noticed and started screaming at people that something incredibly strange has happened, more folks would figure it out.

Exactly what the overall response would be would have a lot to do with what the sun did with its new face, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121167 on: October 30, 2022, 04:04:13 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121168 on: October 30, 2022, 04:11:08 am »

They hated him because he spoke the truth
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121169 on: October 30, 2022, 05:54:25 am »

I always find it interesting how the dark spots on the sun are actually blindingly bright, but the areas around it are just brighter yet still
Pages: 1 ... 8076 8077 [8078] 8079 8080 ... 8169