Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7995 7996 [7997] 7998 7999 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9507750 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119940 on: May 05, 2021, 07:40:15 am »

Just like there are many kinds of people, there should also be many kinds of God, so that each person can worship the version of God with which they are most compatible.  This allows a lot.

I know this is not a popular opinion in a post-modern world, but I think it's an illogical view that there can be as many "gods" as there are opinions. A deity (or several), if it (they) exist(s), would be independent of opinions.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119941 on: May 05, 2021, 07:58:06 am »

Just like there are many kinds of people, there should also be many kinds of God, so that each person can worship the version of God with which they are most compatible.  This allows a lot.

I know this is not a popular opinion in a post-modern world, but I think it's an illogical view that there can be as many "gods" as there are opinions. A deity (or several), if it (they) exist(s), would be independent of opinions.

How do you know an opinion held doesn’t influence a deity’s existence, a la Small Gods?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119942 on: May 05, 2021, 09:21:12 am »

I would argue that's a limited definition of "deity", because it makes said deity's existence dependent on something external.  I wonder if that's a cultural difference in the meaning of the word "god" though; I make a distinction between general spiritual beings (angels, demons, ghosts, etc.) and gods.

And yes I know that Greek gods are called gods, but I would class them more as supernatural beings, not gods, given they are not omnipotent, omniscient, nor omnipresent.  Some of the Hindu gods (along with the Abrahamic ones) more match the definition to which I adhere.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #119943 on: May 05, 2021, 11:20:21 am »

Shit, Vec, you all right? I'm no medical expert, but I don't think I've heard of iron supplements dropping blood pressure like that. If it happens again, notify someone, yeah? Falls can be dangerous. You staying hydrated?

..I should probably get some iron supplements, now that I think about it- I get a head rush just about every time I stand up and stretch. It's only ever once almost knocked me off my feet, but even that was spooky.

----

Be well, stay well, Yoink. You know we'll always be happy to see you touch base here, ye?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119944 on: May 05, 2021, 01:25:08 pm »

You'll find bad people everywhere. Thats not exactly the same as, say, hanging people from cranes for suspected homosexuality

Ah yes, in the same way that the US doesn't have a problem with systematic racism, because there are only sometimes lynch mobs.

You can´t be this thick. Seriously. Stop and think, if only for a minute.  The UK is a country in which same-sex marriage is legal. We´re talking about political asylum for people who would get prison or corporal punishment in their home countries if their sexual orientation became known, and that if they were lucky. Are you seriously saying that you don´t see a point in those people seeking political asylum in the UK because they might meet someone homophobic that might say something nasty to them?

Yes, I am obviously an idiot for thinking TERF Island is not a loving and caring pro-trans place.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119945 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:29 pm »

Shit, Vec, you all right? I'm no medical expert, but I don't think I've heard of iron supplements dropping blood pressure like that. If it happens again, notify someone, yeah? Falls can be dangerous. You staying hydrated?

..I should probably get some iron supplements, now that I think about it- I get a head rush just about every time I stand up and stretch. It's only ever once almost knocked me off my feet, but even that was spooky.

Thanks for asking. I didn't even think about blood pressure ... I was thinking about nausea ... that can definitely be caused by iron pills w/o food.

I'll try to get more water. The most important thing is probably more exercise, low blood pressure runs in my family.

Yes, I am obviously an idiot for thinking TERF Island is not a loving and caring pro-trans place.

TERF Island hee hee hee hee hee

Honestly, given another option, I wouldn't go to the US or UK to get away from anti-trans sentiment if you could go to somewhere more actively welcoming trans refugees. Again: some places are safer than others and the lack of safety is definitely not the same as places that have the death penalty for homosexuality on the books, but if you can go somewhere with low-medium danger as opposed to medium-medium danger, might as well do it.

Look, we still have the trans panic defense in the US. You screw someone and then find out that they're trans, and then kill 'em because of that, it's legal. I don't actually know any trans people who feel safe here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119946 on: May 05, 2021, 02:10:11 pm »

Look, we still have the trans panic defense in the US. You screw someone and then find out that they're trans, and then kill 'em because of that, it's legal. I don't actually know any trans people who feel safe here.

Defendable, not legal.  Have an article on it instead of my crappy commentary.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119947 on: May 05, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »

Defendable, not legal.  Have an article on it instead of my crappy commentary.

You're right, my bad. That was what I meant but it was definitely an (unintended) abuse of the meaning of legal.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119948 on: May 05, 2021, 02:28:15 pm »

Trans/gay panic defense doesn't have a very strong history as a complete defense, but there have been at least a few cases where it mitigated the severity of the sentence. At least the ban on using it has started to spread more quickly between the states.

Nonetheless, I think objectively the US legal situation for trans people is demonstrably better than most nations. Even places that usually go on the "enlightened" list have a nasty habit of retaining things like sterilization and criminal mental illness laws. I wouldn't put the US in the same bracket as the UK anymore, as TERF Island has really lived up to its name lately. There you'll see Labour MPs openly peddling the kind of anti-trans rhetoric that even Republicans are somewhat shy of saying out loud.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119949 on: May 05, 2021, 03:15:29 pm »

The first precept of faith, as far as I understand, is that GOD is GOOD.

Modern international law and standards say that Torture is BAD.

Ergo, any religion that has to threaten its followers with torture is FAKE, because GOD is GOOD and Torture is BAD.

That, or modern international law is FAKE and Torture is GOOD.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119950 on: May 05, 2021, 03:20:01 pm »

Ergo, any religion that has to threaten its followers with torture is FAKE, because GOD is GOOD and Torture is BAD.

Only with consent and a safe word ;)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #119951 on: May 05, 2021, 04:27:23 pm »

Or if it's not TORTURE if God SAYS IT ISN'T (that's the option I've seen most apologists take.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119952 on: May 05, 2021, 04:49:37 pm »

"what do you mean, torture? I am just trying to save your immortal soul by pulling out your fingernails with white hot pliers"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119953 on: May 06, 2021, 03:50:57 am »

"It builds character"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119954 on: May 06, 2021, 03:58:16 am »

Pain is God's megaphone to rouse a deaf world
     - C.S. Lewis
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7995 7996 [7997] 7998 7999 ... 8168