Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7993 7994 [7995] 7996 7997 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9507519 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119910 on: May 02, 2021, 03:52:38 pm »

You know, some other diseases cause shortness of breath ... maybe you would like to be tested ...

--------

Veckle's got depression. Sad sad sad.

I'm working on it, though.
Been tested, did both a lateral flow test, then PCR. Both turned up negative. I was bitching about the gagging from rubbing my tonsils in the mildly sad thread a few days ago.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119911 on: May 02, 2021, 05:33:04 pm »

You know what else my body is doing? If I don't have a full stomach when I lie down, I start getting really nasty heartburn which makes it impossible to sleep because it constantly feels like distilled hydrochloric is climbing its way out of my stomach.

Remembering my MASH episodes, you might have an ulcer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119912 on: May 02, 2021, 05:37:42 pm »

Could be stress related too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119913 on: May 02, 2021, 05:54:10 pm »

I'm writing some stuff for an Islam-related class, and I'm writing about how parents should spend more time with their kids, so that they're more comfortable with telling their parents about their problems and such. Normally, I'd write that without any issue.

Right now, though, I'm feeling some incredibly strong cognitive dissonance. Like, this particular version of Islam outright says that LGBT stuff is not at all acceptable, and when I'm writing the above, I'm just so deeply uncomfortable with it. Like, realizing that one is LGBT is part of the problems a kid (teenager, I suppose) might face, and when I'm basically saying that these fundamentalist parents should know about that, I'm... it's not right. It's not gonna lead to a happier and healthier life, which I thought is the nominal goal of religion. It's gonna lead to suppression of identity. It's going to lead to years of isolation and pain.

Some day. Some day. I'll find a way out of this homophobic hellhole. I'd probably have to abandon my parents in the process, but I don't live for them, I live for myself.

I disagree.  The goal of children spending more time with their parents is so that the children know what NOT to tell their parents.  Or, if the child is going to tell their parents, exactly how to discuss it. Of course, this is a stupid school assignment, so you just write whatever your teacher wants to hear and move on with your life.  All school is propaganda, to at least some extent.

Get good grades, go off to college, do what you want.  Hardly a foolproof plan, but a common one.

Religion sucks when its others telling you what to believe.  It's the tool of the oppressor to control the masses. It only has meaning when you are able to chose what to believe.  Read up on Religion vs. Faith.

I'm afraid I'm out of my depth on this one, but there is some wisdom to be found on these boards. Sorry if I'm being too preachy.  :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119914 on: May 02, 2021, 07:02:38 pm »

Pretty sure ms is in college already.

They (presuming pronouns, apologies if wrong) just live in a very conservative country, so that’s presumably why they’re doing this kind of thing in a higher learning establishment: make sure they’re sticking to prescribed doctrine.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119915 on: May 02, 2021, 07:11:10 pm »

I'm writing some stuff for an Islam-related class, and I'm writing about how parents should spend more time with their kids, so that they're more comfortable with telling their parents about their problems and such. Normally, I'd write that without any issue.

Right now, though, I'm feeling some incredibly strong cognitive dissonance. Like, this particular version of Islam outright says that LGBT stuff is not at all acceptable, and when I'm writing the above, I'm just so deeply uncomfortable with it. Like, realizing that one is LGBT is part of the problems a kid (teenager, I suppose) might face, and when I'm basically saying that these fundamentalist parents should know about that, I'm... it's not right. It's not gonna lead to a happier and healthier life, which I thought is the nominal goal of religion. It's gonna lead to suppression of identity. It's going to lead to years of isolation and pain.

Some day. Some day. I'll find a way out of this homophobic hellhole. I'd probably have to abandon my parents in the process, but I don't live for them, I live for myself.

If you live in a country where openly coming out will endanger your freedom and safety, be aware that there's quite a few countries in the world that will grant asylum on those grounds.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119916 on: May 02, 2021, 08:14:56 pm »

If you live in a country where openly coming out will endanger your freedom and safety, be aware that there's quite a few countries in the world that will grant asylum on those grounds.
Which ones? Is there a list?

Pretty sure ms is in college already.
I am.

Quote from: hector13
They (presuming pronouns, apologies if wrong) just live in a very conservative country, so that’s presumably why they’re doing this kind of thing in a higher learning establishment: make sure they’re sticking to prescribed doctrine.
I am indeed a they/them. Thank you for remembering, even if you were guessing.

Anyway: Exactly, it's that conservative. I have to learn religious stuff for two whole semesters for some reason. People openly agree with statements like "religion is the foundation of morality" here, and any disagreement is read as some kind of psycho shit, rather than a calm and reasoned rejection of the idea. Fucking hell, just because my religion is "uninitialized", it doesn't mean I don't have morals.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119917 on: May 02, 2021, 08:18:31 pm »

Denmark was one with safe haven for trans people, I think?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119918 on: May 02, 2021, 08:25:10 pm »

Fucking hell, just because my religion is "uninitialized", it doesn't mean I don't have morals.

Avoid praying or taking part in rituals until that gets assigned, it's UB.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119919 on: May 03, 2021, 03:41:44 am »

I don't have a full comprehensive list, but at least my country (the Netherlands), pretty sure Germany as well, Danmark, possibly the UK and Canada too. France, dunno but wouldn't be surprised.

Check out this link. The COC is a Dutch organisation with special advisory status to the UN. They will surely be able to give you a comprehensive list of which countries offer asylum.

https://www.coc.nl/engels
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:48:00 am by martinuzz »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119920 on: May 03, 2021, 07:40:09 am »

I don't have a full comprehensive list, but at least my country (the Netherlands), pretty sure Germany as well, Danmark, possibly the UK and Canada too. France, dunno but wouldn't be surprised.

Check out this link. The COC is a Dutch organisation with special advisory status to the UN. They will surely be able to give you a comprehensive list of which countries offer asylum.

https://www.coc.nl/engels

I'd be surprised if the UK is part of that list. Didn't they just decide that a transphobic/homophobic lobbying group should be considered a charity that gets money from the government?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119921 on: May 03, 2021, 08:40:21 am »

You'll find bad people everywhere. Thats not exactly the same as, say, hanging people from cranes for suspected homosexuality
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119922 on: May 03, 2021, 08:54:58 am »

No no chairman there's no complexity in the world

You're either 100% goody or 100% baddy
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119923 on: May 03, 2021, 10:07:30 am »

"Good" vs "bad" is such a limited scale.  I prefer a combo of "loving" vs "malicious" and "selfish" vs "selfless."  You can stand up for what's loving without being malicious to your enemies for example. (Most of the world is bad at this - they are often malicious toward enemies. Almost tautological...)

Of course I'm perhaps an outlier in US culture; I do not believe that "empowering self" is the greatest goal. I don't believe that "saving the world" or "saving humanity" is even the highest goal. I don't try not to live for myself, I don't put my own personal identity as the most important thing, I don't put my identity in my gender or gender role or my job or my family or my past or even my family's past.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119924 on: May 03, 2021, 10:35:40 am »

No no chairman there's no complexity in the world

You're either 100% goody or 100% baddy
Sounds like the sort of thing a baddy would say *prepares tar and feathers*
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7993 7994 [7995] 7996 7997 ... 8168