Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6875 6876 [6877] 6878 6879 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427326 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103140 on: March 19, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »

No, really, there are tons of places without HOAs, and living in even the shittiest 'hood in an area without them is better than tolerating their complete bullshit 'We claim the authority of a government but do not have the mandate of one.'

I will laugh until I cry the day HOAs become illegal, and it will happen, just be patient.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #103141 on: March 19, 2016, 05:44:42 pm »

Not all HOAs are full of asshats?

I don't know.

I've lived in one other HOA neighborhood before, and my experience was the same there.  People with connections use them to make shit up and bully people they don't like.  Culturally, they operate much like high school cliques... except they can impose life consequences more serious than emotional trauma.

But either way I wish you lots of luck and hugs and stuff.

Thanks, TBF

Thing is... when we moved in here, the area was undeveloped.  I don't think there even was an HOA.  I wonder if there's some way we can use that... but I doubt it, because we're only renting.  It would be on our landlord to use that leverage, and he just doesn't want to deal with this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:46:53 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103142 on: March 19, 2016, 05:47:30 pm »

I try.

I just wish I could do more.

Wait, wait, wait.

Is there anything in the contract about whether you are bound by the HOA?  Because if not...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:50:00 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103143 on: March 19, 2016, 05:56:24 pm »

I'm in agreement with TBF, check your lease/rental agreement, and make sure you've got all the details.  If the HOA didn't exist when you moved in and your lease says nothing about it then they don't have any real capacity to enforce shit.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103144 on: March 19, 2016, 06:00:51 pm »

I will laugh until I cry the day HOAs become illegal, and it will happen, just be patient.
It'll happen around the same time the US starts enforcing gun control and stops conflating welfare with communism.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103145 on: March 19, 2016, 06:05:35 pm »

HOAs have already had many of their powers stripped in some states, even to the point of banning them altogether, the only real holdouts are Texas and Florida, and a few other die-hard republican states that have made at least some concessions.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103146 on: March 19, 2016, 06:12:59 pm »

I'm in agreement with TBF, check your lease/rental agreement, and make sure you've got all the details.  If the HOA didn't exist when you moved in and your lease says nothing about it then they don't have any real capacity to enforce shit.

+1 to that.

If you're not part of the HOA, they can't make you do shit.

However, your landlord might be. Not sure how that's work, but yeah...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103147 on: March 19, 2016, 06:18:09 pm »

HOAs are terrible.  Bunches of blatantly self-interested elitists.  They're terrified of their land value going down, and will act to drive out anyone who might do that.

It's probably the landlord who entered the agreement, I would think.  That sucks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #103148 on: March 19, 2016, 06:19:45 pm »

Home Owner's Associations are proof that God hates us and wants us to suffer. You have my sympathies, man.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #103149 on: March 19, 2016, 06:26:55 pm »

+1 to that.

If you're not part of the HOA, they can't make you do shit.

However, your landlord might be. Not sure how that's work, but yeah...

Landlord is clearly acting like he's bound by them.  Even if there was nothing about it in our rental agreement, we still have to abide by his rules on his property.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103150 on: March 19, 2016, 06:29:05 pm »

Move to Canada :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103151 on: March 19, 2016, 06:33:39 pm »

@SalmonGod:Ask the landlord about it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #103152 on: March 19, 2016, 06:37:20 pm »

Move to Canada :V

I want to!  Soooooo much...

My employer has an office in Toronto.  I've recently begun pressuring my manager into helping me get transferred there.  It's actually the only reason I'm still working there.  I personally rescued that office from total collapse last year, so I'm hopeful that the internal reputation that's built for me and my manager's personal gratitude will earn me some help with making it happen.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103153 on: March 19, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »

Good luck, SalmonGod.
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #103154 on: March 19, 2016, 06:44:26 pm »

So a neighbor is making bullshit complaints to police and the home owner's association that started with one reasonable complaint, which we immediately addressed, but have now expanded to a shitload of unreasonable shit beyond our control, half-truths, and blatant falsehoods.  And it looks like it's working.  We're being asked to get rid of the dog we got a few months ago to help our 7 year old with serious mental health issues, and I fear it won't stop at that because they're complaining about our kids too.  And we can't afford to move.
That problems sounds surprisingly familiar to me, unfortunately. I had it a bit different, (something something superintendent I don't know how any of it works), but a lot of people really hated our guts, and tried to get rid of us (also our cat, specifically) and endlessly harassed us, including with bullshit legal suits (the bastards eventually even made us pay their legal fees). It went on for a very long time, until only a year ago I believe, with the intervention of my rich aunt and her squad of lawyers. NINJA-EDIT: Just asked my mom and it only ended exactly a year ago, having gone on for much of my memory. It's terrible. I hope you have more luck then we did. And hopefully a lawyer. This gets very complicated quick (it might be more complicated here because you know, arguing about property is about a full 25% of all that we do here in NYC) but in any case a lawyer might be worth having in this case to avoid getting screwed if you can manage it (we didn't manage to get out of it until my aunt's lawyer got involved). Absolute best of luck, it sucks to holy hell. At least you are doing a good job by documenting things, that's the best thing to do.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 6875 6876 [6877] 6878 6879 ... 8167