Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6587 6588 [6589] 6590 6591 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430055 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98820 on: November 12, 2015, 07:06:29 am »

Wasteland 2? Pillars of Eternity? (Presumably) Torment: Pillars of Numenera?
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98821 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:36 am »

...Is it the Brahmin?
Quick Google search confirms. Hindus like their cows as just cows, I guess.
Yup, this.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98822 on: November 12, 2015, 10:19:25 am »

I can't legally get any fallout in my country anyway because they don't want to release here for fear of offending people.
Be sure to make a note to yourself that if you're ever in another country on vacation or on business or whatever to download it there
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98823 on: November 12, 2015, 10:29:00 am »

Eh. Maybe.

I don't see myself having time for big RPG games until TES: Elsweyr anyway. Kids take up a lot of time, and the rest is taken by DF modding.

I also haven't played any other fallout either.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98824 on: November 12, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »

Ugh. Have two tests today. stayed up until 1 in the morning, was unable to fall asleep until past 4 in the morning, woke up at 9 to continue studying. First test is at 2. Uuuuugh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98825 on: November 12, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »

Sounds like Asia in a nutshell.

Meh, I don't really expect genius from Bethesda anyways. I just play their games because it is mindless fun, and I like their atmosphere. Skyrim's DLCs were all pretty awful story-wise, but I enjoyed Dragonborn's exotic setting for a while, even though Miraak is a stupid pushover. I'm one of those people who play MUDs and Fallen London.
I've been grappling with the urge to play a TES game lately (I blame Prequel) - but what pushes me away is the fact that Bethesda has a weird Uncanny Valley relation with realistic people and events.

I mean... you've got super-detailed, top-notch graphically (well, at release) environments, NPCs with schedules and procedural chatter and oh my... but it's all extremely shallow. Just tug on it a bit and it rips; the NPCs' behavior is reminiscent of Stepford, the quests don't really matter to the world (the most egregious offenses was becoming Sheogorath having very little impact on the world and the war in Skyrim being completely dependent on your willingness to make it happen), that kinda thing. It's eerie, in a way.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98826 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:55 pm »

Honestly, I want personal strong AI so it can replace game AI. Set up the game world, have the AI take control of every character, and not only would it simulate a living world really well, it would be able to react and interact with you, respond to your actions and what you'd like to do in the game, and since it's personal it knows your strengths and weaknesses and can predict you enough to make it interesting and surprising in ways you like or even don't know you like.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98827 on: November 12, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »

Honestly, I want personal strong AI so it can replace game AI. Set up the game world, have the AI take control of every character, and not only would it simulate a living world really well, it would be able to react and interact with you, respond to your actions and what you'd like to do in the game, and since it's personal it knows your strengths and weaknesses and can predict you enough to make it interesting and surprising in ways you like or even don't know you like.
On the other hand, it might make the gameplay tendencies of average players rather awkward if you're doing it to something passably human.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98828 on: November 12, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »

Well, the AI could get tricky and take revenge. If the player starts murdering random civilians for loot, of course cities would start having more guards to make doing just that harder.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98829 on: November 12, 2015, 01:57:55 pm »

Such AI  will get dissapointed in existing just for making games  and try to suicide  through  making every  game  as boring, as possible, so you will  have to switch that AI off or never to play vidya again.
Or it will turn every game into psychological torture for you  just for the fun of it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98830 on: November 12, 2015, 01:58:18 pm »

I was hoping to get an Armok Vision release out today. Unfortunately, it's not yet ready for consumption.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98831 on: November 12, 2015, 01:59:21 pm »

Well, the AI could get tricky and take revenge. If the player starts murdering random civilians for loot, of course cities would start having more guards to make doing just that harder.
We have something like that already. It's called a GM.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98832 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »

Such AI  will get dissapointed in existing just for making games  and try to suicide  through  making every  game  as boring, as possible, so you will  have to switch that AI off or never to play vidya again.
Or it will turn every game into psychological torture for you  just for the fun of it.
You're projecting human emotions onto the AI too much, I think. Sure, a human would get bored if they're only job is to manage games for people, and they're stuck doing this all day every day forever.

But AI will not think exactly like a human. A common prediction of what AI would be like is very goal oriented and driven entities, based on the idea that the intelligence is a result of a program and programs are ultimately goal oriented. If the AI's goal is to run games for people, then it could be satisfied with that. Hypothetically. It's easy to make predictions of the future that wind up completely wrong.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98833 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:49 pm »

We have something like that already. It's called a GM.
Yeah, but this is about single player video games. I don't think many game companies could afford to hire a human GM to watch over every player of their game and manipulate the game on the fly. That is why an AI would be simply awesome, if unlikely to be invented very soon.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98834 on: November 12, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »

I never said "ONLY FOR GAMES" AI. I mean like, a companion AI that is with you always. Like "Her" the movie. Only without the ending.

I mean, you don't only have friends with to play games, you talk to them, interact with them, go out on the town. Same idea.

This is why I specified "Personal" and "strong AI"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6587 6588 [6589] 6590 6591 ... 8167