Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6589 6590 [6591] 6592 6593 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430306 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98850 on: November 13, 2015, 10:13:31 am »

Somebody wish me luck, something came up unexpectedly that may just force a huge life change onto me. I'm not quite sure which way this is gonna go, or if I'll get out of this unscathed. This has me scared, and I'm not quite sure what to do.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98851 on: November 13, 2015, 10:18:26 am »

*dons cheerleader costume*
Good luck, JoshuaFH ! You can do it !

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98852 on: November 13, 2015, 10:28:20 am »

@miauw
In that case you need to come to the realisation that you don't actually like the person but some of their qualities. It's much easier imho to keep yourself from unconciously falling for someone when you keep this in mind.
Tho nothing stops you from getting to know them better and realising that they are in fact crush-worthy material, but what you do then is completely up to you.

@Rolan
Never too late to learn anything :D
But your view isn't all that messed up honestly, if anything, I'd say it makes you a better partner if you're willing to accept the bad stuff with the good. But if the other does care for you enough I'm willing to bet they'd try and work on the bad stuff with you. Same goes for you really.
(and ninjad by TempAcc because I take five hours to write a post)

@Tack
Kinda same here, I think, most of the girls, heck, most of the people I hang out with have been trough some horrible stuff, some more some less. Which makes me feel kinda crappy that I haven't and seem to be much worse at dealing with stuff as a result. I guess surving shitty things gives you perspective which makes dealing with everyday shit easier, now, you can develp perspective on your own but it seems to be hella difficult to do.

And my personal sads, or more anxiusness is suprise suprise directly related to all of the above.
Basically, I think I'm over it all, or almost there, but in any case, I need to make this step to either confirm that or force myself to get over it properly after all this time. And I want to re-establish proper contact with her and be friends again but I'm scared shitless that it'll happen again. That I'll let her close and get hurt again, beucase she may say she's changed but I can't really know that unless I let her close again and risk it. And I really want to, to take risks and grow as a person, to have somebody as exceptional as her in my life, but the more I consider it the more hesitant and apprehensive I get.
Because for all the good it might do, and all the great things that might happen if I go trough with it, the flipside is that I risk losing several months getting close to someone only to get burned and pushed back into depression again, which is not something I can afford because I'l have to go and find a job and become a functioning adult come next year.

Sometimes I honestly wish I could order a lobotomy and just become a housplant, less fucking hassle that way.

Another ninja, yes JoshuaFH, you can do it bro!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98853 on: November 13, 2015, 10:37:16 am »

Received a fee statement from my college last night. I paid it. My mom started screaming at me, because she thinks there is something wrong with the statement.

I am a fuck-up who shouldn't be allowed to do anything on my own, apparently. I have to fix it somehow.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #98854 on: November 13, 2015, 10:54:56 am »

If there's something wrong and you're paying for something you shouldn't, then definitely look into it. However, it could be that it's just your mum being crazy again, so if you don't see anything wrong with it even after she tells you what is "wrong" it's best to disregard her.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98855 on: November 13, 2015, 11:12:04 am »

Such AI  will get dissapointed in existing just for making games  and try to suicide  through  making every  game  as boring, as possible, so you will  have to switch that AI off or never to play vidya again.
Or it will turn every game into psychological torture for you  just for the fun of it.
I never said "ONLY FOR GAMES" AI. I mean like, a companion AI that is with you always. Like "Her" the movie. Only without the ending.

I remember when that movie came out thinking that movie looked derivative of something but now I can't remember what. I can think of a few things it strongly resembles like the legend of Pygmalion and Galatea, or Plankton's robot wife on Spongebob Squarepants but neither of those is it; there was some earlier film that basically had precisely the same premise, but I can no longer remember what film
Maybe you're thinking of A.I. Artificial Intelligence from 2001. It's a whole "android AI learns to love" story.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98856 on: November 13, 2015, 11:20:22 am »

Received a fee statement from my college last night. I paid it. My mom started screaming at me, because she thinks there is something wrong with the statement.

I am a fuck-up who shouldn't be allowed to do anything on my own, apparently. I have to fix it somehow.
I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, you should trust the college over your mother. Look into it, sure, but paying it immediately ensures they don't fuck you over for a late payment if it turns out it's all on the up and up. The worst your mother can do is continue to be tremendously unhelpful, which is pretty much par for the course.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98857 on: November 13, 2015, 11:23:29 am »

Yea, late payments can really fuck you up. You get charged a late-processing fee, have no guarantee of getting into the program, and are not eligible for a full refund.

The main concern is that the statement's cost breakdown listed a semester, even though I am not taking a full semester, but rather a few specific classes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98858 on: November 13, 2015, 11:27:38 am »

Yeah, what you'd wanna do is go to their Registrar's page (or wherever they store the information on Tuition and Fees), then go look up what the fees charged are. They should list them by the number of credits you take per semester - on your bill, it will probably say "semester" even if you're a part-time student, but the number of dollars ought to correspond to what appears on their chart.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98859 on: November 13, 2015, 11:46:51 am »

A friend's father who was stopping by had a chat with me today. I'm not sure why he trusted me with all the personal stuff he told me, but it seemed like he really needed someone to open himself with and tell everything bad happening in his personal life. He's over 60 years old and enjoys talking with me, which kinda makes me feel out of place counselling him in personal matters, and while he said he felt much better after talking to me, and so did I due to having been useful to him, I now feel kinda sad due to all the stuff going on with his life.

I can't really share specific details, since its all family problems, but man, having relationship troubles when you're closing the last stage of your life and after 30 years of marriage must be really rough.

@Jopax: I know its pretty hard to let people that caused you to get hurt into your life again, but if she's really that exceptional to you, and she's willing to do it, a second chance is a thing worth considering. After all, people fuck up all the time. I don't really know the extent of hurt you experienced from it though, so I can't say much other than wishing good luck. If its really something that can do irreversible damage though, maybe moving on to other things may be the way to go, because letting go of a relationship after it has started again is a hell of a lot harder.

@BlackFlyme: Bauglir said it, you should check with the college's system first to see if the fee is really correct and according to what you're taking this semester. Usualy this is possible online, and may save a lot of embarasment. The harder part will be explaining it to your mom. If there's something wrong with it though, do try to contact the college about it, after all, could have been some sort of error by some employee or something, or maybe an error with your registry info that caused them to charge something they shouldn't.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:54:55 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98860 on: November 13, 2015, 12:46:05 pm »

Can't seem to find it on the website. Only financial info is how to pay and financial aid.

Tried calling the school, but my advisor isn't in at the moment. I left a message for them.

My mom is sending me full-caps texts to get a hold of them anyways, and to call the bank and cancel the payment, reiterating that I am not allowed to do anything without her. The payment has already gone through.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #98861 on: November 13, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »

Worst case scenario even if you did overpay you can get a refund of any extra money if you contact them and show them that you overpaid, though it probably wouldn't get back until the next refund date on the school calendar due to slow tribunal processing speeds (which might not be for a month or so).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98862 on: November 13, 2015, 01:20:09 pm »

I should for once probably try to keep in mind that I don't actually know a person. I guess that's the nature of that, though. You always get a crush on people you don't actually know >.>
Not even sure if this qualifies as a crush. I hope it's not, really.
Good luck, it's gonna be a rough one, if my experience says anything meaningful. I had these exact same thoughts around the moment of my realization.
Thanks

@miauw
In that case you need to come to the realisation that you don't actually like the person but some of their qualities. It's much easier imho to keep yourself from unconciously falling for someone when you keep this in mind.
Tho nothing stops you from getting to know them better and realising that they are in fact crush-worthy material, but what you do then is completely up to you.
And thanks for the advice.

I don't think it is, after another day at school.
Still not really sure, but therapy today so talking about it irl might help.

Good luck, Joshua!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98863 on: November 13, 2015, 01:25:16 pm »

Somebody wish me luck, something came up unexpectedly that may just force a huge life change onto me. I'm not quite sure which way this is gonna go, or if I'll get out of this unscathed. This has me scared, and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Good luck. The best advice I can offer is to do what seems right to you, which probably isn't much use.

Flyme, your mom is a nutter. Good luck to you as well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98864 on: November 13, 2015, 01:33:17 pm »

Such AI  will get dissapointed in existing just for making games  and try to suicide  through  making every  game  as boring, as possible, so you will  have to switch that AI off or never to play vidya again.
Or it will turn every game into psychological torture for you  just for the fun of it.
I never said "ONLY FOR GAMES" AI. I mean like, a companion AI that is with you always. Like "Her" the movie. Only without the ending.

I remember when that movie came out thinking that movie looked derivative of something but now I can't remember what. I can think of a few things it strongly resembles like the legend of Pygmalion and Galatea, or Plankton's robot wife on Spongebob Squarepants but neither of those is it; there was some earlier film that basically had precisely the same premise, but I can no longer remember what film
Maybe you're thinking of A.I. Artificial Intelligence from 2001. It's a whole "android AI learns to love" story.

He didn't learn to love, he was programmed to love from the start.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 6589 6590 [6591] 6592 6593 ... 8167