Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6515 6516 [6517] 6518 6519 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452950 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97740 on: October 07, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »

...the !!fun!! of Philippine weather during this time of year. X_x
Is it raining fire over there? Sounds terrifying.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97741 on: October 07, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »

The issue with Steam can be worked around by loading the games onto a computer which is then kept permanently offline. Augmented reality facial recognition will be broken by Laughing Man-esque hackers within a decade of it's inception and until then there are always Guy Fawkes masks. Several of the predictions are things that people have been saying for centuries and either haven't come to pass or else have been coming to pass so slowly that they haven't upset anything; the article itself notes that people have been scaremongering about automation since the 1800's. Several of the points about the bugs are either invalod or irrelevant; we already have enough food to feed the world, the problem is distributing it, and anyone who gave a damn about them being healthier would be more likely to skip ober them and go straight to vegetarianism.

In closing, I shall leave you with a passage from the Bobliographicon
"And in the Last days it shall be found that they are not the Last days, nor shall there be any casting out of false prophets, but the same old shit, and rumors of the same old shit, shall continue - yea, even unto the end of time." - 13:57, Jesse Sump, Epistle to the Dallasians, Honest Book of Truth
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97742 on: October 07, 2015, 01:36:51 pm »

Furthermore I predict that the new intrusiveness will lead to a society so desensitized to the unusual that nobody will care anymore.

EDIT:
This will be good news for everybody except for supeemarket tabloids which will be hard pressed to find stories that are still shocking, and transgressive artists who will be forced to resort to cannibalism, arson, and murder in order to remain edgy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:40:14 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #97743 on: October 07, 2015, 01:54:34 pm »

have to drop my us history class, because I fucked up in the first week with dates and then after that shit was just ruined
What, you put down the Declaration of Independence as 1492, and the Civil War as 1776 or something?

I missed two quizzes because I wasn't in the class the first day (not late or absent, I hadn't picked up the class yet), and I missed another because of work. I have just learned this. Because of these quizzes, even if I make a perfect 100 on every assignment left I will make no better than a C, which is unnacceptable.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97744 on: October 07, 2015, 02:13:13 pm »

The issue with Steam can be worked around by loading the games onto a computer which is then kept permanently offline. Augmented reality facial recognition will be broken by Laughing Man-esque hackers within a decade of it's inception and until then there are always Guy Fawkes masks. Several of the predictions are things that people have been saying for centuries and either haven't come to pass or else have been coming to pass so slowly that they haven't upset anything; the article itself notes that people have been scaremongering about automation since the 1800's. Several of the points about the bugs are either invalod or irrelevant; we already have enough food to feed the world, the problem is distributing it, and anyone who gave a damn about them being healthier would be more likely to skip ober them and go straight to vegetarianism.

"And in the Last days it shall be found that they are not the Last days, nor shall there be any casting out of false prophets, but the same old shit, and rumors of the same old shit, shall continue - yea, even unto the end of time." - 13:57, Jesse Sump, Epistle to the Dallasians, Honest Book of Truth

what

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97745 on: October 07, 2015, 02:39:33 pm »

what

What what? The stuff about the article Truean linked to, or the scriptural passage?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97746 on: October 07, 2015, 04:02:39 pm »

You'll need to work on two projects aside from classes:

1. Lies. Make up a Christian club or something else that sounds innocent, and claim to have joined it. Make friends with whom you can be honest about who you are. Tell your family that group photos are photos of the club, and if they get too inquisitive ask a friend to pose as a member on the phone, and if necessary explain that they haven't registered with the university or whatever because they don't see a good reason to do so. If they continue to insist on trying to talk to the (entirely fictional) leadership, say you'll see what you can do but you don't want to make people angry and get kicked out of the group, etc. Standard lies that make you seem like you're trying to be helpful, but that there are risks your parents might not actually want you to take that are beyond your control if you press it too hard.

2. Financial independence. Lies will only get you so far. You may or may not be supported by your family while studying. If you are, you need to find a way to save up enough to transition to supporting yourself, so that they have nothing to threaten you with. When it comes to immigration stuff, do your best to avoid giving your parents any authority over the process. However, I will say that if you're feeling particularly vindictive, and loans are involved with your plans, you should get them to co-sign for as many as you can. It seems unlikely that they would, but even though you still shouldn't default on them (it looks terrible on your financial history even if the legal burden passes to them), it can be a nice bit of leverage. Especially if they don't understand the parenthetical not up there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97747 on: October 07, 2015, 04:05:12 pm »

have to drop my us history class, because I fucked up in the first week with dates and then after that shit was just ruined
What, you put down the Declaration of Independence as 1492, and the Civil War as 1776 or something?
To be fair, the latter one is true from a certain point of view.

*sips tea*

*is disgusted by Tory hot drink heresy*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97748 on: October 07, 2015, 05:02:54 pm »

I'm on the verge of failing my course again. This is ridiculous. I can't do the things I need to do because apparently my brain is all "assignments? screw that. it's way more fun to play games and muck around on the internet, right?" and then I can't get any work done.
I suppose I could still turn this around. I have a few days before I need to turn the assignment in, but I've made piss all progress and can't bring myself to do anything.
So yeah. At least my financial situation is comfortable (parents ftw) but everything I do is a failure. RIP.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97749 on: October 07, 2015, 05:10:27 pm »

I'm on the verge of failing my course again. This is ridiculous. I can't do the things I need to do because apparently my brain is all "assignments? screw that. it's way more fun to play games and muck around on the internet, right?" and then I can't get any work done.
I suppose I could still turn this around. I have a few days before I need to turn the assignment in, but I've made piss all progress and can't bring myself to do anything.
So yeah. At least my financial situation is comfortable (parents ftw) but everything I do is a failure. RIP.
Gamify it.  Set up a reward system.
Give yourself 10-15 minutes per assignment (or stage of) completed, or maybe work 10 play 2.  Don't play vidyagaems though.  Just check forums and whatnot.  Vidyagaems will not end well.

And as a fellow procrastinator, I feel you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97750 on: October 07, 2015, 05:27:57 pm »

It's not procrastination so much as I just don't care. I know I "should" do the thing on an intellectual level, but beyond that it's a crapshoot.
Rewards don't gel either. I can't make the mental connection of "work done = cake, etc" because the only correlation between the two is whatever arbitrary reward system I've made up. It's easier to not do the work and have the cake anyway. So that's what I do. It's dumb as hell but I can't do anything differently, as much as I would like to.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97751 on: October 07, 2015, 05:40:55 pm »

It's not procrastination so much as I just don't care. I know I "should" do the thing on an intellectual level, but beyond that it's a crapshoot.
Rewards don't gel either. I can't make the mental connection of "work done = cake, etc" because the only correlation between the two is whatever arbitrary reward system I've made up. It's easier to not do the work and have the cake anyway. So that's what I do. It's dumb as hell but I can't do anything differently, as much as I would like to.
...Have you tried just leaving it open in front of you when you're bored?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97752 on: October 07, 2015, 05:48:03 pm »

Yes. I've tried a great many things. I appreciate you're trying to help, but I mostly just wanted to vent.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97753 on: October 07, 2015, 05:56:40 pm »

Yes. I've tried a great many things. I appreciate you're trying to help, but I mostly just wanted to vent.
D'aw, but I want to be helpful.
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97754 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »

honestly i'm just waiting for the day caroline can, financially and emotionally, go full rant mode on her parents and end with a "get fucked, never talk to me again" or something of that nature

i'll even write her a script if i have to
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6515 6516 [6517] 6518 6519 ... 8167