Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6490 6491 [6492] 6493 6494 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452291 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97365 on: September 22, 2015, 04:33:02 pm »

as going into a fourth grade class and hearing the students chanting multiplication tables (a method that was once used for brute-force memorization as the "proper" way to teach math)
This is how I learned multiplication.
I just didn't learn them. Git gud at mental maths son.
No, I meant that was how they made us learn them.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97366 on: September 22, 2015, 04:34:03 pm »

For what it's worth, I write in cursive when I don't really want people to read something but don't mind overmuch if they do.

Discouragement, yo.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97367 on: September 22, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »

@Fish Yeah if you want to write fast, learn legit shorthand. Or just make shortcuts while taking notes. Cursive bleeds into people's print and makes a nasty incomprehensible mess. From looking at my relatives' penmanship.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97368 on: September 22, 2015, 04:36:41 pm »

Things are going well and I should probably be happy but I'm not. Damn hormones.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97369 on: September 22, 2015, 04:42:45 pm »

Its a useful skill to have if you actualy hand write things often,

Provided, of course, that no one will ever be called upon to read it

And, of course, with the additional assumption that you're using some old-ass quill or dip-pen and not a modern ballpoint or felt-tip.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97370 on: September 22, 2015, 04:50:52 pm »

Cursive should have died a long, long time ago - nobody benefits from knowing how to write it,

What about prop-makers for movies set in ye olde times?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97371 on: September 22, 2015, 04:51:45 pm »

Back to the doctor's sometime today. They open at 5, so by the time I get there, it will probably be packed.

I ran out of medication on Sunday. I think. Or my mom forgot to give me a pill yesterday and the day before, like she often does. Because she carries them around with her. Even after my doctor said that I should be the one in charge of making sure I take them.

My mom is embarrassed by it, I think. Absolutely no-one, not even our own family must know about this. Except my nan. Okay, so my mom's side is allowed to know, but not my dad or his side of the family.

I've felt down all day.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97372 on: September 22, 2015, 04:52:51 pm »

No, I meant that was how they made us learn them.
Yeah, I was "made" to learn them as well. And then didn't. It probably helped that I had a sympathetic teacher though, he pretty much said "I know you're not stupid and are capable of multiplying things so maybe just don't bother?"
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97373 on: September 22, 2015, 04:53:39 pm »

Cursive should have died a long, long time ago - nobody benefits from knowing how to write it,

What about prop-makers for movies set in ye olde times?

Touché.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97374 on: September 22, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »

That's fascinating....I actually had the same thing happen to me when I was about that age. My grandmother had taught me cursive between 1st and 2nd grade, and I was getting in trouble for using it at school and chastised for not knowing how to write, because I kept adding all these little tails and loops onto letters (sometimes block print that I made "cursive-y").

My grandmother came in for a meeting with the teacher, who pointed out my writing and said she didn't understand where this was coming from, at which point my grandmother (a non-confrontational little old woman) just gave her the SRS BSNS look and this exchange followed:

Grandma: "He's trying to write in cursive."
Teacher: "That can't be, we haven't taught them cursive yet."
Grandma: "I taught him cursive last summer."
Teacher: "What? Please don't do that, it makes our job much harder when the kids learn things ahead of schedule."
Grandma: *VRY SRS BSNS look*

If I remember right, this is the same teacher that I got into an argument with on a science test. The test was on the solar system, and the question was "Which planet do you think is the hottest?"

Being an astronomy geek, I answered Venus, because I knew the average surface temperature of all the planets. She marked it wrong, which I protested.

Teacher: "You were supposed to answer Mercury, because it's closest to the sun."
Me: "But that's not right! Venus is hotter, I can show you in the encylopedia where it says that."
Teacher: "Yes, but the textbook didn't tell you that, so you were supposed to answer which one you thought was hottest."
Me: "I did. I answered Venus, because I know it's hotter, so that's the one I think is hotter."

Took my grandparents getting involved in order to get her to change the test score.

Should've gotten lawyers involved...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97375 on: September 22, 2015, 04:57:25 pm »

I read != as equivalent, IE in both directions. Might depend on context since I don't think it's real notation outside programming languages...
!= means "is not equal to" in programming languages, though...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97376 on: September 22, 2015, 04:59:58 pm »

I read != as equivalent, IE in both directions. Might depend on context since I don't think it's real notation outside programming languages...
!= means "is not equal to" in programming languages, though...
Well it really means "is this not equal to the other?".
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97377 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:37 pm »

Well actually, it would evaluate as true in any actual program context.
The set of all squares is not the exact same thing as the set of all rectangles, let alone dealing with ordering.  But I meant it to be read (Assertion that) "Set of all squares is not subset of set of all rectangles".
In a program context squares =! squares can be true if your set is an object and these sets are different objects.

The sensible thing to do is to properly overload the equality operators, obviously.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97378 on: September 22, 2015, 05:12:20 pm »

My attempt to defend cursive writing goes awry mid-creation.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97379 on: September 22, 2015, 05:14:44 pm »

:v your cursive is even worse than mine, and even I managed to read it with no hitch.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 6490 6491 [6492] 6493 6494 ... 8167