Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6443 6444 [6445] 6446 6447 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446165 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96660 on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »

Do it. Be a(n urban) legend.

Build yourself the most shiniest meat bicycle.

I don't like camping. Too many mosquitoes. And drunks with access to firepits and gasoline.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #96661 on: August 27, 2015, 07:44:23 pm »

Build yourself the most bitchin' meatcycle.
FTFY
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96662 on: August 27, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »

>tent
>few day's clothes
>basic supplies
>motorcycles

You have to make those from bone, bark and leather in the sweet wilderness.

Honestly, people just move to Alaska the Deep Calahari if they want that.
No he wouldn't. If we as a species wanted to go back to a hunter gatherer, then we wouldn't do it stupidly, we'd set it up proper-like :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96663 on: August 27, 2015, 08:16:49 pm »

No he wouldn't. If we as a species wanted to go back to a hunter gatherer, then we wouldn't do it stupidly, we'd set it up proper-like :v
I can't see us as a species doing anything properly unless it involves killing other members of our species.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #96664 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »

I mean clearly we haven't done that properly, look how many of us survived.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96665 on: August 27, 2015, 08:42:42 pm »

In other words, collectively, we suck at everything.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #96666 on: August 27, 2015, 08:46:51 pm »

The only thing we suck at is agreeing how not to make things suck for each other, especially as relates to dealing with the people who willfully make things suck for others.  Just about everything else imaginable we've figured out at least in theory.  For being such social creatures, we're really, really bad at being socially functional.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96667 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:16 pm »

The only thing we suck at is agreeing how not to make things suck for each other, especially as relates to dealing with the people who willfully make things suck for others.  Just about everything else imaginable we've figured out at least in theory.  For being such social creatures, we're really, really bad at being socially functional.

No, you just have to see it from a different view. One where the individual doesn't matter. It's really quite an impressive machine we've built when you take a step back and look at it. Sure some gears have a tendency to jump or grind, a or few belts get burned out and stop. We've even had a few fires break out in the main assemblies, but over its very long lifespan the machine has been vigorous enough to bounce back from even the most catastrophic failures, and keep growing just like it's supposed to. At the end of the day, what's the cost of a few spare parts? And why try to fix something when it functions well enough as-is? As long as it keeps working more or less as it should, there's not anything really wrong.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96668 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:40 pm »

Yes sir, the Greater Good is always adequate justification for whatever the little people have to put up with.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #96669 on: August 27, 2015, 10:45:45 pm »

I'd say it's still great from an individual perspective, at least for most people. There were complications when I was born - I'd probably be long dead without modern medicine. We've just eliminated many of our worries so thoroughly that it's hard to imagine dealing with them.

Everyone can imagine themselves as the hunter who lives a fulfilling life providing for their tribe or whatever, but nobody wants to imagine themselves as the sad baby who dies of some easily preventable disease before their first birthday. The reality is there would be a lot more of the latter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:48:01 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96670 on: August 27, 2015, 11:36:03 pm »

I'd say it's still great from an individual perspective, at least for most people. There were complications when I was born - I'd probably be long dead without modern medicine. We've just eliminated many of our worries so thoroughly that it's hard to imagine dealing with them.

Everyone can imagine themselves as the hunter who lives a fulfilling life providing for their tribe or whatever, but nobody wants to imagine themselves as the sad baby who dies of some easily preventable disease before their first birthday. The reality is there would be a lot more of the latter.
Now there's an argument.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96671 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:58 pm »

Monty Oum entered my thoughts again, and every day since he passed away.
Mayherestinpeace.  A unique artist.

I finally watched Apocalypse Now on Netflix (almost two weeks ago) and it was really moving.  A proper classic, and very dark.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96672 on: August 28, 2015, 12:25:19 am »

Yes, but so what?
Said child dies before it has the chance to understand just what it's missing out on. In many ways it's the lucky one, then or now.
Depending on what you believe in, it may even move on to a better place, or be reincarnated to have another go at things.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96673 on: August 28, 2015, 12:43:20 am »

Yes, but so what?
Said child dies before it has the chance to understand just what it's missing out on. In many ways it's the lucky one, then or now.
Depending on what you believe in, it may even move on to a better place, or be reincarnated to have another go at things.
Yes, but WE understand that if we break society that badly, we'll be killing them, and murder would, y'know, damn you to a bad fate.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96674 on: August 28, 2015, 01:12:17 am »

IMO being deprived of life is way worse than having a crappy life.
Pages: 1 ... 6443 6444 [6445] 6446 6447 ... 8167