Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6347 6348 [6349] 6350 6351 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428825 times)

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95220 on: July 16, 2015, 09:53:58 am »

O__o That sounds... pretty counter-productive.
"Hey, thanks, you saved my life! What? Your certification expired last month ? I'll sue your arse off, you dirty harrasser!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95221 on: July 16, 2015, 10:09:14 am »

I thought there were "good samaritan" laws to protect amateurs with good intentions...  Looks like we do here in NC, anyway.  I just assumed it was a federal thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95222 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:36 am »

Hmm. In Aus (Or maybe just my state), you don't have an obligation to help out, but once you're on site you have an obligation to keep helping out until professionals arrive.
So if you decide at the time of an accident that you want nothing to do with it, that's on you, but you can't turn up, do some CPR and then piss off when your arms get tired.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #95223 on: July 16, 2015, 11:05:12 am »

I thought there were "good samaritan" laws to protect amateurs with good intentions...  Looks like we do here in NC, anyway.  I just assumed it was a federal thing.
They're on the books, but the law's loose enough that you can't just get a lawsuit or worse immediately thrown out, particularly since so many forms of first aid are inherently damaging. I've known more than a few people that were in that situation, eventually got the cases against them dismissed, but were still nearly ruined by legal fees before getting to that point.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95224 on: July 16, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »

On a more serious note, probably changing consensus. Essentially, once everyone declares something[Transphobia being the relevent issue here] silly, then it will become the new norm and deviation from it will be treated the same way as before.

Tolerance or not, I can't see trans not being in the uncanny valley. The pointless systemized oppression will stop, and people will accept them, but in the same awkwardly polite way that they avoid  drawing attention to someone with extra fingers on their hands or webbed toes or that skin disease that Michael Jackson had
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95225 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:56 pm »

Can you get out of the house at all for a while? Because that would probably be a nice thing to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #95226 on: July 16, 2015, 03:18:55 pm »

On a more serious note, probably changing consensus. Essentially, once everyone declares something[Transphobia being the relevent issue here] silly, then it will become the new norm and deviation from it will be treated the same way as before.

Tolerance or not, I can't see trans not being in the uncanny valley. The pointless systemized oppression will stop, and people will accept them, but in the same awkwardly polite way that they avoid  drawing attention to someone with extra fingers on their hands or webbed toes or that skin disease that Michael Jackson had
I don't really agree with this.

Both the trans people I've met passed so well it makes no difference.  As I understand it, most of the visible differences after someone transitions are not readily apparently as long as they're wearing clothes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95227 on: July 16, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »

I have a hard enough time telling the gender of some non-trans people.   :-X
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95228 on: July 16, 2015, 04:07:07 pm »

Listening to/reading up on what ISIS does makes me so goddamn angry.

How the hell can people voluntarily act like that? It goes well beyond ' they believe their religion told them to' because they don't even listen to half the rules in the Qu'ran, they just go and fuck things up, seemingly for the sheer hell of it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because they can never hope to achieve their goals of world domination. The most they can hope for is to expand to the point where the major world powers (especially the USA, who seem to be most at odds with them) decide to take the gloves off. Because we have something more powerful than their god. We have hundreds of Nuclear missiles.

Glory be to the Bomb and to the holy fallout as it was, is, and ever shall be, forever and ever, amen.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95229 on: July 16, 2015, 04:12:54 pm »

Anger is a powerful thing. "These people did something bad, so they deserve to be punished." There's no limit to what "punished" turns out to mean. You see it all the time, really - ever talk to Americans about what criminals deserve? There's a lot of people out there who honestly think prison rape is supposed to be a part of the experience, for example. Once people decide that hurting people is righteous justice, they get real bad at introspection, real fast.

This is just that, only more. When you decide the world's become corrupt and needs to be punished, fucking things up for the hell of it is an obvious answer. If the whole world's gone wrong, then no matter who you hurt, it's somebody who deserved it. And maybe destruction doesn't save the world, but it's easy and it's defiant - like the action hero spitting in the villain's face, as far as they're concerned.

Because we have something more powerful than their god. We have hundreds of Nuclear missiles.

Glory be to the Bomb and to the holy fallout as it was, is, and ever shall be, forever and ever, amen.
Yeah, no. That's not how politics or military strategy actually works, unless you're in a novel, film, or video game.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95230 on: July 16, 2015, 04:56:50 pm »

Anger is a powerful thing. "These people did something bad, so they deserve to be punished." There's no limit to what "punished" turns out to mean. You see it all the time, really - ever talk to Americans about what criminals deserve? There's a lot of people out there who honestly think prison rape is supposed to be a part of the experience, for example. Once people decide that hurting people is righteous justice, they get real bad at introspection, real fast.

This is just that, only more. When you decide the world's become corrupt and needs to be punished, fucking things up for the hell of it is an obvious answer. If the whole world's gone wrong, then no matter who you hurt, it's somebody who deserved it. And maybe destruction doesn't save the world, but it's easy and it's defiant - like the action hero spitting in the villain's face, as far as they're concerned.

Because we have something more powerful than their god. We have hundreds of Nuclear missiles.

Yeah, no. That's not how politics or military strategy actually works, unless you're in a novel, film, or video game.

I'm talking about an extreme worst case scenario where they actually do conquer all of the middle east and move on to conquering parts of the European Union and/or Russia

The odds of it happening are probably less than one percent of one percent, but if it comes to that I sure hope someone will have the good sense to put an end to it before they get a hand on long-range nukes themselves
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:09:22 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #95231 on: July 16, 2015, 05:26:58 pm »

Worse-case scenario is the whole thing dragging out for many more years, with no government willing to get off their arse and stop it.
I can't see nuclear weapons being employed by anyone other than the terrorists themselves.

Believe it or not, that's actually incredibly rude.

((also, please point me in the direction of the systematic oppression, i can't seem to find it anywhere))
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95232 on: July 16, 2015, 05:32:02 pm »

Worse-case scenario is the whole thing dragging out for many more years, with no government willing to get off their arse and stop it.
I can't see nuclear weapons being employed by anyone other than the terrorists themselves.

I can't see it being likely in any plausible scenario, but I can see it being likely in possible scenarios

Believe it or not, that's actually incredibly rude.

Do you know what a "spiral of silence" is?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:34:16 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #95233 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:20 pm »

Do you know what a "spiral of silence" is?
By the power of Professor Google, sure. But you're going to need to spell out what it's got to do with this?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #95234 on: July 16, 2015, 05:55:43 pm »

He's trying to say he's being oppressed again.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 6347 6348 [6349] 6350 6351 ... 8167