Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6340 6341 [6342] 6343 6344 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435123 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95115 on: July 12, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »

My chair has broken.

=\
Aaaaand my OS (ye olde XP) has broken after that.

I spent an entire first half a day cleaning up stuff to place a new chair, and I've been forced to spent the second one to fix up my computer via reinstalling the fuck out of it (thank god I've had backups of all important stuff and that I've kept most of the non-important stuff on a non-system folder).
._.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #95116 on: July 12, 2015, 07:13:05 pm »

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:16:00 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #95117 on: July 12, 2015, 08:14:43 pm »

Satoru Iwata has passed away.

Definately saddening and worrying, there were several times he was way more than a pencil pusher and I'm sure that habit never stopped. Doesn't exactly leave a good potential picture of Nintendos future given how they're doing though. This is definitely going to shake things up.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95118 on: July 12, 2015, 08:19:23 pm »

Oh no! He was one of those rockstar video game programmers, too, comparable to John Carmack. Pokémon Gold/Silver were too big to fit on the cartridge; Iwata was brought in to compress it and he got it small enough that they could put Kanto in. Super Smash Bros. Melee wouldn't ship in time for the Gamecube's launch, so they brought Iwata in, and he managed to get it to the state we see today (with the number of bugs that actually matter in gameplay countable on your hands). Earthbound was entirely rewritten by him at one point, during which he invented a scripting language for the game's dialogue system over the course of a few weeks. IIRC, he was the one who programmed Pokémon Stadium... which he had to do without any access to the original code, reverse-engineering the entire Pokémon combat system from gameplay.

Dude was freaking insane. Him being one of the best programmers in the world and CEO of a company is a life not many can say they've lived up to.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95119 on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »

Man, only 55 years old.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #95120 on: July 12, 2015, 08:32:53 pm »

Oh no! He was one of those rockstar video game programmers, too, comparable to John Carmack. Pokémon Gold/Silver were too big to fit on the cartridge; Iwata was brought in to compress it and he got it small enough that they could put Kanto in. Super Smash Bros. Melee wouldn't ship in time for the Gamecube's launch, so they brought Iwata in, and he managed to get it to the state we see today (with the number of bugs that actually matter in gameplay countable on your hands). Earthbound was entirely rewritten by him at one point, during which he invented a scripting language for the game's dialogue system over the course of a few weeks. IIRC, he was the one who programmed Pokémon Stadium... which he had to do without any access to the original code, reverse-engineering the entire Pokémon combat system from gameplay.

Dude was freaking insane. Him being one of the best programmers in the world and CEO of a company is a life not many can say they've lived up to.
Holy shit that's some track record. I played almost all of those games as a kid. He had a huge impact on my childhood and I didn't even know it until now, after hearing about his death.

Sad. His legacy will live on in video games. :C
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #95121 on: July 12, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »

Quote from: Masahiro Sakurai
"The president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has passed away. He was my former employer, but even when my situation and location changed, he was always the most understanding [of me and my work]. A hard worker and a virtuous man, he always supplied me with quick, fair guidance. I believe that he was the greatest leader I could have imagined. May you rest in peace.”

Iwata also slashed his own salary in half when Nintendo's profits went down so that the company wouldn't have to make cuts, and in 2013 when shareholders asked why he hadn't laid people off in reponse he said "If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease, I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:53:40 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95122 on: July 12, 2015, 09:34:06 pm »

Just heard the news. Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

You were directly responsible for some of my favorite Nintendo games and you were incredibly memorable at every E3 you attended.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95123 on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:44 pm »

Requiescat in Pace, Gamedev-CEO extraordinaire.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #95124 on: July 13, 2015, 02:48:36 am »

Aw, crap. I was about to complain about my own problems (Adventures in depression and self-loathing, wee), but now they seem trivial in comparison to this. The world's lost a great man, it's average IQ just dropped a ton due to the loss.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #95125 on: July 13, 2015, 07:06:00 am »

Rest in peace, Mr Iwata.
Heard of you since many years ago when researching Nintendo and snippets of stories about the company. It was very inspiring.
Aw, crap. I was about to complain about my own problems (Adventures in depression and self-loathing, wee), but now they seem trivial in comparison to this. The world's lost a great man, it's average IQ just dropped a ton due to the loss.
Err, I'd poke at the compliment there ._. It misses out on 90+% of the world who are not outspoken or well known individuals.

...Also I doubt that when anyone posts in this thread, its in a comparative narrative. Though I do get yer point. :O

Sads:
Last Active:
July 5, 2015, [some time in the pm; didn't save the info]
Now Active:
    Today at 07:02:30 am

Sickness + Weather = x_x
Monsoon rains toppled some trees--our fire dept. and other volunteers arrived quickly to the scenes of the emergency. Been raining non-stop ever since the first week of July.
I'm sad because I got sick and had to miss volunteer duties as well as my Psych teammates and mentors [+1 week backlog of stuffs to do here!]. :<

Main point of this post is me being sad about that news.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95126 on: July 13, 2015, 07:28:43 am »

Aww, RIP Mr. Iwata. You dun good. Only 55 too, too young.

In other news, I don't enjoy my job any longer. It might just be because of the fact that I'm working the same damn shift all the time and it's getting boring and monotonous to the point where I could nearly do it in my sleep, but honestly I'm growing to hate it. I don't like the fact that my empathy for people has gone down as a result of working there, I don't like the fact that working there basically takes up my entire day (I shouldn't be complaining there though given that there's people who work way longer than I do in shittier jobs, but still) and leaves me with no motivation to clean up or eat or anything, I don't like that between working there and going to karate I've no free time to hang out with what few friends I've managed to make - ironically due to working there - I either do karate or work, nothing else aside from go on the internet during the transitions from one to the other, I'm even growing to dislike the food I give to people, and I'm not in a position in life right now where I have to worry overly much about money because I'm a lucky fucker and don't have to pay rent right now - again, I shouldn't be complaining when there are people in much direr straits than I am but I can't help it - I'm pretty sure the only reason I still work there is because the person I'm in love with works there. If they left I couldn't give less of a fuck, even though I like the people I work with and enjoy talking to them I never hang out with them outside of work anyway and their appreciation isn't enough to offset the bone deep weariness this thing gives me. I just ...
I'm tired of throwing out over 200-300 dollars worth of food every time I work because of the store manager's insistence on keeping a full selection long after rush hours have gone by. I'm tired of having to throw out fucking cookies and danishes and shit like that instead of bringing it up to the break room or something for the night staff because apparently that would be stealing from the company and surely throwing it all out is less wasteful. I'm tired of doing nothing more with my life than giving food to people. I wanna do more than that with my existence.
Of course probably a good 40% of the discontent I feel right now is due to the emotional turmoil working with the person I'm in love with causes, but I can't really do anything about that so I'm not really counting it.
Sigh. Either this or further school, neither of which I enjoy, since both of them pretty much serve to crush my self esteem, sleep cycle, emotional balance, and hygiene. Only difference is that with this I'm not paying for it.
I'd say I'm probably only this despondent because I've been working 4 days in a row which due to my fucked up sleep cycle effectively means I've spend 32 straight hours there, but then I realize that spending a lot of time at your job shouldn't make one seriously question the futility of their existence.

Fuckin emotions man.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:04:53 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95128 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:25 am »

Goodbye Mr. Iwata ;~;7

When you meet Kenji Eno in the afterlife, tell him he can only come back when he promisses to make another "D" game.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #95129 on: July 13, 2015, 01:47:18 pm »

-snip-
You have the ability to apply to other jobs, if you can get the time/effort together.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 6340 6341 [6342] 6343 6344 ... 8167