Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6218 6219 [6220] 6221 6222 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9492466 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93285 on: May 19, 2015, 12:51:26 pm »

The ending of Chappie is rather bittersweet...

Does bittersweet meet the criteria for this thread, or do I head over to the happy thread for this?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93286 on: May 19, 2015, 12:52:14 pm »

The ending of Chappie is rather bittersweet...

Does bittersweet meet the criteria for this thread, or do I head over to the happy thread for this?
I'd assume it depends on whether you felt more sad or happy from the bittersweet-ness. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #93287 on: May 19, 2015, 12:58:46 pm »

That sounds unhealthy. If you're going to do some partial fasting, at least make sure the little food you do eat is something nutritious, even if you have to go over a little. Punishing yourself like this can only hurt you.
Yeah, the damage's done. If you normally ate biscuits as part of a daily plan, then you could skip them to catch up, but otherwise it's less healthy than the alternative - especially since you risk going into starvation mode, which renders the efforts moot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93288 on: May 19, 2015, 01:14:20 pm »

*hugs the gunner-chan*
Wish I could help... :/
Unfortunately, that ends up being my response to just about everyone's problems. I wanna just be able to make everybody happy. :<

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #93289 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:03 pm »

School is over, and I cannot shake the feeling that I will be forgotten by those I called friend within the month.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93290 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »

I just wanna say that what SG said is kinda beautiful and poetic. It also brightened up my day in a sad kind of way. Thanks for that :)

Also hang in tight guys, whatever is bothering you. Sure shit passes, and sure shit comes back again, but those shitless moments are pretty damn sweet, right?

Edit:

Time for sads. First off saw These Final Hours, quite a depressing movie, pretty good, but depressing nonetheless.

Second is the pattern that I've noticed, in which I predict or anticipate something shitty or just not good happening, people telling me that I'm being silly or worrying for no reason, then the thing that I expected happens.
The worst part is I'll believe them and beat myself up over being an idiot and just thinking negatively all the time, but then I'm proven right and I feel even worse somehow, probably because I've let others convince me into something that I know is not true.

And funnily enough most of these are linked to a certain person, which could explain a lot but I'm trying not to think about that as much as I can, mostly because I end up feeling like shit afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:57:35 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93291 on: May 19, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »

Second is the pattern that I've noticed, in which I predict or anticipate something shitty or just not good happening, people telling me that I'm being silly or worrying for no reason, then the thing that I expected happens.
The worst part is I'll believe them and beat myself up over being an idiot and just thinking negatively all the time, but then I'm proven right and I feel even worse somehow, probably because I've let others convince me into something that I know is not true.
The way I deal with this is two simple questions. The first is "Is there anything I can I do about it?", and the second is "Is the cost of doing that worth what I would save minus the chance it doesn't happen?". If the answer to either of those questions is "no", then it's not worth thinking about. If both of them are "yes", then do whatever it was that you thought of. Either way it's not worth worrying about, because either you are going to do something that should work, or whatever bad is going to happen can't be changed anyways.

For example let's say you are going to a party tomorrow and you predict it's going to rain. So is there anything you can do about it? Yes, you could check the weather and see if it is going to rain and if so, bring an umbrella. Is the cost of doing that worth the bad things it would prevent minus the chance it wouldn't happen? Yes, the cost is fairly low. Done, no need to worry. Alternatively I might be worried about nuclear bombs falling and the whole world dying. Is there anything I can do about it? Not really, so it's not worth worrying about.

It's also my secret for how I'm so calm right before I perform or give a presentation/speech. Going up to it I'm constantly asking, "Is there anything I can do to make this go smoothly?" and then "is it worth the cost?" and if so, doing it. Eventually you reach a point where there isn't anything more you can do, so there's no reason to worry or be nervous, because you have already prepared as much as you possibly can (or as much as you chose to).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93292 on: May 19, 2015, 04:43:42 pm »

My question usually is 'How much do I really care if this goes wrong?'

This tends to backfire when I care a lot.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93293 on: May 19, 2015, 04:46:50 pm »

My question usually is 'How much do I really care if this goes wrong?'

This tends to backfire when I care a lot.
That's generally included in the "save" part of "Is the cost of doing that worth what I would save minus the chance it doesn't happen?" for me, and it's behind the filter of "can I do anything about it" already, which stops it from backfiring. :P

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93294 on: May 19, 2015, 04:50:00 pm »

I've been thinking about a certain situation. I don't know WHAT I did to honestly end up so hated by that person. But whatever it is I'm apparently never getting a chance to make up for it.

I've been debating the actual value in sticking around a lot the past hour. Especially when life keeps taking a shit on me in every single facet of my life. The only positives I end up too fucked up to enjoy at all.

And he's even browsing around right now. He might be reading this.

What did I do?

SalmonGod said some pretty wise stuff earlier. To add, if it's any consolation, your situation was pretty much precisely the one I was in circa a month ago. Suddenly losing someone close to you that way is every bit as hard and painful as dealing with the death of someone. It leaves you with the same hole in your heart, just as many unanswered questions, and just as few chances to say things again. In some ways it's worse, because the dead don't often leave by choice, whereas when people you trusted choose to completely abandon you this way... that's another kind of pain, which comes with a lot of confusion and anger too.

There's more I could say, but I'm going to take it to PM. Don't be afraid to feel what you're feeling, but do hang in there. It really will get better.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93295 on: May 19, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »

The only pair of shoes I have that doesn't give me large blisters and sore feet when I go to my job at the stadium is falling apart
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93296 on: May 19, 2015, 08:21:50 pm »

Should I live a lie or just throw everything away?
What?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93297 on: May 19, 2015, 08:23:53 pm »

Those aren't your only options. Being trans is difficult, especially when your family is hostile, but it's possible to escape that and live true to yourself. Most trans people do manage to find ways to live happily with themselves.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93298 on: May 19, 2015, 08:37:15 pm »

Both options are lies, but you should strive to live the one that makes you happy; the one that you don't consider a lie. As it is written, "Pull the wool over your own eyes and relax in the safety of your own delusions" (-The World Ends Tomorrow and You May Die p.5)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93299 on: May 19, 2015, 09:14:20 pm »

Sorry that I keep posting sads and not much talking/comforting other sads.
I'll try to not do that as much anymore.
I don't really have much to say on the current sad though, sorry.

Sad: My mother just got taken to the hospital by relatives because she's been having chest and back pains... I hope she's alright... I pray she's alright
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 6218 6219 [6220] 6221 6222 ... 8167