Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6143 6144 [6145] 6146 6147 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466884 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #92160 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »

Hey, I dropped out of school and lived with my parents. Then I graduated and lived with my parents. And then I got laid off and lived with my parents.

It's a rough economy right now. Just do what you can do.
The slashed though part was mostly me sarcastically poking at myself. Mostly.

And you've accomplished waaaay more than I have, so you can totally justify anything you've done.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92161 on: April 20, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »

I lived with my parents four times, dude. There's a reason this semi-generation is nicknamed the boomerang generation. It happens to a lot of us, and it's not necessarily your fault.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92162 on: April 20, 2015, 09:37:51 pm »

I have too much trouble telling people "no". ._.
Same here. My first word as a baby was apparently "no," so I'm not sure what went wrong along the way.

This is true for most kids.  It's a very easy word to pronounce, and the one that kids hear most often.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92163 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:31 pm »

My first word was 'Milk'.
I was a child of priorities.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92164 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:00 pm »

I lived with my parents four times, dude. There's a reason this semi-generation is nicknamed the boomerang generation. It happens to a lot of us, and it's not necessarily your fault.
Aye. Despite my best damn efforts, I spent 6 months with my family when I got back to school. And, financially, it's been an awful fucking decision to leave - it's one I made for purely psychological reasons, and even then only because it was just barely doable.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92165 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:20 pm »

I have too much trouble telling people "no". ._.
Same here. My first word as a baby was apparently "no," so I'm not sure what went wrong along the way.

This is true for most kids.  It's a very easy word to pronounce, and the one that kids hear most often.
I thought the most common was some variation of "mama" or "dada"?
My friend's first word was allegedly "ashtray". Go figure.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92166 on: April 20, 2015, 09:41:02 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:56:04 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92167 on: April 20, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

I distinctly remember being told that my first word got me in a lot of trouble, as it was four letters long and started with "f". I'm not sure if that's entirely true, but it would make a lot of sense.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92168 on: April 20, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »

I was forced to move out due to friction with my sister, who is the favorite.  She quite obviously pushed for it to happen.  She had a celebration with her friends the day it was decided, and moved into my room only two months later.  It happened before I was really able to get my life on track, locked me into the job I had at the time, and subsequently the shitty career path I'm still stuck on and increasingly unlikely to ever escape.  It robbed me of the support and flexibility I needed to focus on my studies and portfolio-building about two years before I graduated, which was the most crucial time.  Yes, I'm quite bitter.  I only just began acknowledging her presence again in the last year or so, about 8 years later.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92169 on: April 20, 2015, 10:40:39 pm »

Huh.  This means a lot to me, actually, thanks.  I switched from family member to family member until about 26...
Maybe I didn't literally *have* to, but it was the most financially secure option by far.

And now I'm free and perpetually drunk hooraaaay this isn't good
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:42:31 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92170 on: April 20, 2015, 11:40:05 pm »

I was forced to move out due to friction with my sister, who is the favorite.  She quite obviously pushed for it to happen.  She had a celebration with her friends the day it was decided, and moved into my room only two months later.  It happened before I was really able to get my life on track, locked me into the job I had at the time, and subsequently the shitty career path I'm still stuck on and increasingly unlikely to ever escape.  It robbed me of the support and flexibility I needed to focus on my studies and portfolio-building about two years before I graduated, which was the most crucial time.  Yes, I'm quite bitter.  I only just began acknowledging her presence again in the last year or so, about 8 years later.

For what it's worth, I can sympathize with that situation. My siblings and I were always close, but I started college at the worst part of my Mom's alcoholism, and the least stable part of her relationship with my Step Dad. I left, with no preparation or savings, after refusing to fight back on a night when my Step Dad attacked me. Honestly, their house had always been a really toxic environment, and I had been needing to leave it for a long time. Demands of living with a profoundly sick and psychologically-abusive parent, and violence vented toward me from my parent's partner notwithstanding... the bizarrely-absolute curfew and policy on forbidding computer and internet use at home unless it was in the living room during the day, was making fitting classes in with my job, and made my coursework and correspondence for my class impossible.

But, yeah... I left the house with no preparation that night, and was lucky enough to call and get a ride to escape my Step-Dad's pursuit (from the only friend who was in town that weekend). Apart from carefully coordinated trips to their home to get whatever things I could carry into boxes and bags, I didn't see them for years. I stayed for a semester at the efficiency apartment my Sister was storing her junk at while moving in with her boyfriend. I tried to avoid student loan debt, afford college out of pocket, make a living wage, and do full time coursework at the same time, but that was insane. The economy was terrible, I had no roommates or friends to stay with, and I was working under 2 decades of abuse and psychological damage that messed with me in ways I had no tools to handle. I spent about 5 years being my own therapist, finding and losing friends, and fighting to not have to give up my college plans, before bankruptcy decided for me.

I often think about how much different my life would probably be, had I had the support of a stable parent or a safe household while growing up or starting out on my own, instead of fleeing sick and destitute into adulthood. But all we can do is work with what we have, and every day do whatever we can to get closer to the life we want for ourselves.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92171 on: April 21, 2015, 12:18:56 am »

Maybe I didn't literally *have* to, but it was the most financially secure option by far.
I didn't have to either, but the last two times I had a wife and kid, so going back to homelessness was not an attractive idea.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:10:57 am by MaximumZero »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92172 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:32 am »

Mine was "baa". Which is oddly appropriate.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92173 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:17 am »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #92174 on: April 21, 2015, 09:36:35 am »

Mine was "baa". Which is oddly appropriate.
*insert a joke about Kiwis*
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 6143 6144 [6145] 6146 6147 ... 8167