Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6118 6119 [6120] 6121 6122 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476526 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91785 on: April 14, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:12:29 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91786 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:51 pm »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:51:33 am by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91787 on: April 14, 2015, 05:25:12 pm »

They could be paying back rather fast. And a house costs a lot...

Vec, it's all about what you call 'comfortable'. I talked about this with my girlfriend the other day: I come from an upper-middle-class family, and she comes from the poorest bit of intelligentsia, and our respective backgrounds were strongly reflected in what we called a comfortable life with enough money.
I think 'comfortable' usually means 'what my parents had, plus a bit extra'. That sure would explain why so many people in the US aren't comfortable right now...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91788 on: April 14, 2015, 05:34:23 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:12:23 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #91789 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »

To me, comfortable is "I have meals on the table, most of my clothes don't have (visible) holes, I'm warm most nights, I can afford to sit and sleep off of the floor, and I can go to the doctor when I need to."

So yeah, I guess, what my parents had plus a little extra :/
This + internet access.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91790 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:51 pm »

I'll be comfortable when I'm retired.  The more money I make, the closer I am to that goal.   >:(  I don't know if I'm going to have enough energy to get there some days though...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91791 on: April 14, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »

Comfortable for me means having the funds to purchase whatever I might want at the time. Like a gallium cutlery set, or ten thousand copies of Minecraft, or the EU.
So yeah. What my parents had + a little (read: several quadrillion dollars) extra.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:41:41 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91792 on: April 14, 2015, 05:50:41 pm »

If I had a quadrillion dollars I'd buy ten bottles of Rochefort 10. Can't think of anything else I'd like to buy right now...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #91793 on: April 14, 2015, 05:54:35 pm »

... I'm mostly curious how they're spending like 2.5x on wireless what they are on internet. I... I guess that's, like, phones and stuff?

And yeah, +1 to hugo's + to vec. Minus the off the floor bits, anyway. I'd be perfectly fine with no tables and just a pile (big pile) of blankets and pillows in a corner or somethin'. My comfort has few elevation requirements, outside of being above water and within the bottom half or so of the troposphere, and both of those are negotiable.

Though, mind you, a carpet or flooring or something is preferred in that scenario. Dirt floor would be an issue.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:56:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91794 on: April 14, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »

... I'm mostly curious how they're spending like 2.5x on wireless what they are on internet. I... I guess that's, like, phones and stuff?

And yeah, +1 to hugo's + to vec. Minus the off the floor bits, anyway. I'd be perfectly fine with no tables and just a pile (big pile) of blankets and pillows in a corner or somethin'. My comfort has few elevation requirements, outside of being above water and within the bottom half or so of the troposphere, and both of those are negotiable.

Though, mind you, a carpet or flooring or something is preferred in that scenario. Dirt floor would be an issue.
You remind me of Rigby from Regular Show.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #91795 on: April 14, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »

Had no idea what that was until I checked. Now somewhat saddened my first thought was vague curiosity if that was a racist dig.* Been in this area way too long.

*For those fortunately unknowing, the common diminution of raccoon in this area doubles as a racial slur. Mixed with sleeping on the floor being a common sign of poverty...
Ask not!
Ask!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91796 on: April 14, 2015, 06:03:49 pm »

I suppose I could use a real mattress, on account of all the back pain making me uncomfortable in a very literal sense, but otherwise I've basically achieved my definition of comfortable. Decent food, no threat of homelessness, quality internets, even making progress on my very stupid pile of student debt. Of course, I don't have 3 kids to feed or anything, and I rent a mighty cheap apartment split three ways.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91797 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:10 pm »

Had no idea what that was until I checked. Now somewhat saddened my first thought was vague curiosity if that was a racist dig.* Been in this area way too long.

*For those fortunately unknowing, the common diminution of raccoon in this area doubles as a racial slur. Mixed with sleeping on the floor being a common sign of poverty...
Oh, I didn't mean to worry you about being offended. It was just a reference since he sleeps in a giant clothes pile.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91798 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:34 pm »

Confortable for me would just be enough to live well with my girlfriend and travel anywhere + super high end computer and internet connection + a bottle of moscato for every day of the rest of my life.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #91799 on: April 14, 2015, 06:11:34 pm »

Oh, I didn't mean to worry you about being offended. It was just a reference since he sleeps in a giant clothes pile.
Nah, no worries or anything. Just an idle thought followed by mild exasperation at part of life to date. I've had a headache for like the last six hours, so m'out of it enough I just kinda' posted unthinkingly.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 6118 6119 [6120] 6121 6122 ... 8167