Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5948 5949 [5950] 5951 5952 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429115 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #89235 on: February 28, 2015, 05:48:20 pm »

Here are some representative examples. They're not terrible, I guess, but they're quite boring. He might have made something of it eventually if he hadn't chosen a different career path.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: The first one was by someone else, removed it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89237 on: February 28, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »

Eh, I could see them hanging on someone's wall as decoration, but yeah, it's not that exciting.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89238 on: February 28, 2015, 05:59:52 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:30:43 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89239 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:49 pm »

In my attempt to pick an example so extreme as to make the point unmissable, I fear I have overreached.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #89240 on: February 28, 2015, 06:11:29 pm »

Hitler's art was also not edgy enough.

Most fine art during that period is about poverty and suffering, so it's kind of passé to be drawing pristine, quaint houses.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #89241 on: February 28, 2015, 06:14:56 pm »

Not really sad about it, but rage thread doesn't exist anymore (though I'm not really angry either): I'm at a resort with family, and the wifi sucks. But there's an option to use better wifi (which I am now doing), though you have to register and only get to use two devices with it unless you pay to upgrade.

Actually, I'm less upset about it since it turns out this is per person, not per room. Though it still seems like pretty shitty practice.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89242 on: February 28, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

While I'm still very very far from being old I'm getting depressingly close to not being young either.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89243 on: February 28, 2015, 06:52:38 pm »

Ouch, falling behind on things :(
What is the truth and why can't you tell it? I'll understand if you don't want to tell it here, either.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #89244 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:34 pm »

-snip-
* Worldmaster27 hugs Caroline
I wish I could help more, though there's only so much random people over the internet can do. Hopefully you'll get more time and less crap soon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #89245 on: February 28, 2015, 11:59:43 pm »

I don't feel like doing anything.  At All.  Not even anything passive, like watching tv.  Not even listening to  music.  I'm not tired.  But I just can't bring myself to put even minimal effort into doing anything I don't have to.  I keep browsing through all the various things I could be doing with my Saturday, maybe engaging in them for a few minutes, then giving up.  And my thoughts keep bending towards work.  All the shit I'll be facing on Monday.  All the things I could be doing now to clean shit up so work is less of a mess when I go back.  I know if I keep allowing myself to think like that, I'm never going to escape the way work has dominated my life the last few months, and I'll continue to get more burned out.  But then again, the more issues at work continue to snowball due to lack of time during normal hours to keep things in proper order while scrambling to keep up with essential tasks, the worse things are going to get and the worse my burnout is going to get anyway.

And while things continue like this, my family continues to get more dysfunctional, as I have less and less energy to spend time with my extroverted wife and kids.  And while I remain distant, they grow increasingly unable to get along with each other.

All because upper management still refuses to hire more people to help, after they more than doubled our workload, because they have profit growth targets to hit.  I'm hoping to escape soon, but I know that my next job will almost certainly be more of the same.  It's the same cycle everywhere.  Keep squeezing workers more and more.  Those numbers have to grow.  Every year.  Forever.  Until something gives, and the whole thing falls apart.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89246 on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:31 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:30:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89247 on: March 01, 2015, 01:15:54 am »

I slept for 11 hours without meaning too. That's like several hours I could have been doing stuff in!
Hey, I've been awake for the last >36 hours without meaning to be! That's many hours I could have been sleeping in!

And I'm still not even tired. I don't feel safe enough to be tired.

D: I wish I could help.

I'm really fucking up my semester. I should be getting a lot done right now, really working on it. I'm probably fucking up my entire future. I'm really busy transitioning though and trying to repair my health to boot, and had the flu for four days straight and THEN my period is fucking me up really bad today, so I'm really struggling. I'm weeks behind on studying and homework and I feel like a loser. I don't know how I'm going to recover from this.

How the mighty fall.

I really doubt you're screwing up your future in any major fashion, given how much you already have going for you.

Plus, things will hopefully look a lot better when you're over the flu and off your period.

I don't feel like doing anything.  At All.  Not even anything passive, like watching tv.  Not even listening to  music.  I'm not tired.  But I just can't bring myself to put even minimal effort into doing anything I don't have to.  I keep browsing through all the various things I could be doing with my Saturday, maybe engaging in them for a few minutes, then giving up.  And my thoughts keep bending towards work.  All the shit I'll be facing on Monday.  All the things I could be doing now to clean shit up so work is less of a mess when I go back.  I know if I keep allowing myself to think like that, I'm never going to escape the way work has dominated my life the last few months, and I'll continue to get more burned out.  But then again, the more issues at work continue to snowball due to lack of time during normal hours to keep things in proper order while scrambling to keep up with essential tasks, the worse things are going to get and the worse my burnout is going to get anyway.

And while things continue like this, my family continues to get more dysfunctional, as I have less and less energy to spend time with my extroverted wife and kids.  And while I remain distant, they grow increasingly unable to get along with each other.

All because upper management still refuses to hire more people to help, after they more than doubled our workload, because they have profit growth targets to hit.  I'm hoping to escape soon, but I know that my next job will almost certainly be more of the same.  It's the same cycle everywhere.  Keep squeezing workers more and more.  Those numbers have to grow.  Every year.  Forever.  Until something gives, and the whole thing falls apart.

I can only say good luck... :-\

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89248 on: March 01, 2015, 01:27:58 am »

I don't know how I'm going to recover from this.
If you figure it out, could you tell me? It's slowly dawning on me that I'm barely keeping afloat with the day-to-day work this semester, and I have a research paper, 3 lengthy essays, and an engineering project that are due by the end that I haven't so much as started. Who's responsible for th- oh wait it was me. In a rare turn of events, I regret wasting time on things that were relaxing. I didn't have the fucking time.

Tomorrow I'm going to do my normal weekly writing assignments and also try to knock out a book review not listed above and coordinate an interview I have to do with somebody (who, I don't even know yet, I still need to figure that out).

If I figure out the magical spell to extend the day by 12 hours, I promise to share. Or any other thing that helps, but that one sounds the most plausible.

And now I'm nauseous for no adequately explained reason. Except it's fairly well explained by my atrocious eating habits today. Blagh.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:29:29 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #89249 on: March 01, 2015, 02:44:41 am »

I'd swear I'm sleeping even more poorly than usual.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 5948 5949 [5950] 5951 5952 ... 8167