Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5641 5642 [5643] 5644 5645 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9418984 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #84630 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:41 am »

Thinking about the ear thing reminded me about how Van Gogh  died, and then how he lived.  Do not imitate.  He was a catastrophic failure as a human being.  We only know who he is because rich gentry pay huge arbitrary prices for original art in order to show off to each other.  His life story was probably their version of a reality show.

You talking smack about Van Gogh?

I'll tell YA, he makes the best swirly haystacks in the history of swirly haystacks
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84631 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:54 am »

He's kinda... meh. I mean sure, dude knew how to paint, and what he painted is pretty, but there's no comparing him to Monet or many others of the same period.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84632 on: November 18, 2014, 11:04:48 am »

I'm told I'm smart.

Siiiince.... 1st grade. Then at around 7th grade I ended up falling behind in school stuff because fuck if I know. Got the whole "You could do better if applied yourself" talk.

Not that exciting :P
That sounds really familiar. Why? Because I followed the same trajectory. Despite being extremely intelligent by whatever objective measurement you want to use (various IQ tests all above 160 or so and averaging (mean) at 177, any kind of standardized test scores all in the ~95th percentile, whatever,) I barely graduated high school with a 2.12 GPA, and now I've worked my way up into a (mostly) shitty retail job that barely pays the bills and am stuck here for the foreseeable future, even though I have a two-year degree and am qualified to work pretty much anywhere because of management experience and an extremely diverse skill set. What happened? What went wrong? Not too long ago, I actually figured it out, and I'm willing to share.

You're probably bored with your schoolwork. It doesn't provide a challenge, you don't see the point in doing it, and it's a waste of time. It's all completely pointless bullshit. And that's entirely true.

Here's the thing, though: Schoolwork isn't to teach you the basics of whatever it is that you're learning. I mean, sure, you'll learn the very basics of math, science, history, literature and a couple of other things (even though much of what you'll learn in high school is wrong or watered down,) and getting good grades isn't an achievement specifically for you. Schoolwork feels like busywork because it is. It's to teach you to keep going when shit gets boring, because you'll use that almost every day of your life when you're an adult. It's to teach you to prove yourself to the man in order to be placed in the pecking order for college or trade school, which helps you get into the career field you want to be in. It helps you learn to grind. If you don't grind, you get placed with the incompetents and idiots. Grinding is a skill, and it's one that I'm just learning how to do because I didn't take the time to learn it in school.

You'll hear a lot about "potential," and how you're not living up to it. There's a reason for this: because you have natural aptitude, you're expected to work it to a much finer edge than your peers. Vector is a master of grinding that edge beyond razor sharp. She claims to not have super-aptitude in much of anything, (and I don't believe her for one second,) but her strength lies in hard work and grinding that edge. She's accomplished everything she has because she's busted her ass and not stopped for one second to say, "I can't do this." Fuck that. You can do it, you just have to work hard to do so, and right now is the time for you to show that you are willing to put in the work.

If you're an artist, you're expected to be the best damn artist in the world, or you're just another person on the scrap heap. Every kid can draw, and some can even shade a little bit. You need to make real, distinguished art that sets you head and shoulders above the rest. If you're into building things, you damn well better know everything about your math and physical sciences, or you'll get people killed in the real world. No bridge was ever built on hope. No foundation was ever laid on "maybe." If you're into computers, you need to know logic and hardware, programming and security, and people will look to you as some kind of wizard. That said, every kid nowadays can write a basic script and set up a firewall. My first grader has computer classes twice a week, and will probably start programming in junior high. You'd damn well better be able to keep up with the kids who get the head start, or you're no better than anyone else. If you're an athlete, you'd better have professional speed and strength and know everything about your field of play in high school, because your chances of doing it professionally are less than one in a million. (I went to high school with around two to three hundred athletes. Only two of them ever made money in any kind of sports, and one of them was me, and that was only because I was willing to fight for scraps and pocket change.) If you want to go into a field in particular, start learning it now. Everyone else who wants to go into that field has, unless that field has you saying, "Hi, welcome to McDonalds!" on your 40th birthday.

The point of school isn't to get better unless you actively take the time to better yourself. It's not even about learning the stuff in the books. It's about showing what you can do, and what you're willing to do. It's about learning what you want to do with your life, and how far you're willing to go to get there. If you bust your ass now, you'll find that a lot of doors will open for you later. If you don't bust your ass now, well, the establishment will think that you're an idiot or worse, that you're just a regular person. That you're nothing special. That you don't get to go in the special doors (like the one to your own office or business,) because you're not willing to work hard enough to get there.

tl;dr: Bust your ass now. The whole point is learning how to bust your ass, so that life doesn't dump you on your ass later.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84633 on: November 18, 2014, 11:11:53 am »

Hrm. People say I'm smart too, it gets rather annoying. There's a difference between being smart and not doing the homework, so improvising and making points up about the text :P
It makes me feel kinda sad when the notes we get at the end of the year (summary: you write your name on a paper, pass it around, all of the class has to write something good about you) has 20 times "You're really smart" and one or two "You're a good person/friend".
I know that feel. I'm incredibly scared of what's going to come after high school.
I don't have to learn much at all, which just make me afraid of not being able to learn properly when I need to.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:14:31 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84634 on: November 18, 2014, 11:18:31 am »

Every time we get a "gift" or loan from my mother-in-law, there seems to be a hundred strings attached. And every time I feel like we're getting ahead financially, it seems like we're in debt to them again. I'm sick and tired and sad that we keep needing to rely on their help, when it brings so much stress. After we clean up this latest mess (got the email about it from them not 5 minutes after saying to my wife that we were finally getting caught up financially) no more monetary help from them. I'm done.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84635 on: November 18, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »

MZ has the absolute right of it.

If you are stuck in the rut of only applying yourself when you're naturally inclined to be interested, my experience is that you won't accomplish much. If you have aspirations beyond getting a paycheck adequate to support rent, food, and entertainment, your best bet is to decide that it sure would be interesting to figure out how to motivate yourself without being interested.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #84636 on: November 18, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »

MZ has the absolute right of it.

If you are stuck in the rut of only applying yourself when you're naturally inclined to be interested, my experience is that you won't accomplish much. If you have aspirations beyond getting a paycheck adequate to support rent, food, and entertainment, your best bet is to decide that it sure would be interesting to figure out how to motivate yourself without being interested.
Then you just have to motivate yourself to figure out how to motivate yourself without being interested.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84637 on: November 18, 2014, 02:19:58 pm »

-snip-
Amazing wall of text there, but as I've learned from experience, easier said than done. I think my natural state is 'Do it if it interests me', which is rather hard to get over. That's why I'd learned a few things you never hear about until uni in primary school, but ballsed up classes like French and English.
You're right. It is easier said than done. Which is why I work at GameStop past the age of 30. Which is why I'm not a rocket scientist or engineer or architect. Which I why I know something like three chords on the guitar and have a game that I'll never finish. I could go on, but it's depressing and infuriating that I screwed myself by being lazy in the here-and-now and am just making up for lost wasted time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84638 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »

There's a certain pair of pants that I used to have to tighten my belt three notches to wear. I just noticed yesterday that it stays up sans belt. Nothing quite like completely reversing any progress you've made.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #84639 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »

There's a certain pair of pants that I used to have to tighten my belt three notches to wear. I just noticed yesterday that it stays up sans belt. Nothing quite like completely reversing any progress you've made.
Maybe the pants just shrunk over time from washing. That doesn't just happen to me, right?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84640 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:56 pm »

I burst a belt once... that felt pretty terrible.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #84641 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:23 pm »

Feeling worthless. Can't even afford to rent around here.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #84642 on: November 18, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »

He's kinda... meh. I mean sure, dude knew how to paint, and what he painted is pretty, but there's no comparing him to Monet or many others of the same period.
Actually, according to Doctor Who, he is officially the greatest artist ever. Just like the Roman army was the greatest army ever. Even the future ones that laser guns and shit. Because reasons.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #84643 on: November 18, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »

Hitler, though. If Hitler got into art school, everything would be different.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #84644 on: November 18, 2014, 05:27:15 pm »

Nah, he'd try a cultural victory instead.

Has Civ taught you nothing!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5641 5642 [5643] 5644 5645 ... 8167