Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5408 5409 [5410] 5411 5412 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419596 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #81135 on: September 10, 2014, 08:23:36 am »

Spehss, next time you bump into her, ask her if she'd like to get some coffee. Proceed with the knowledge that the only thing you can lose is hope*, and you don't seem to have too much of that right now anyway. At some point during the coffee, if she agrees, ask her if she'd like to get together for something more clearly datelike.

*Game theory, y'see. If she's not interested, it doesn't matter what you do. Failure if you do ask leads to the same outcome as never having asked at all, only with fewer regrets because at least you don't have any "what-if"s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqBV6LhuW8
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81136 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:02 am »

Spehss, are you past me that time-traveled forward?
Regardless, I'm going to give you the verbal kick-in-the-ass that past me should have gotten.

1. Stop projecting forward into horrible "what-if" scenarios. You aren't Muad'dib, you don't see the future. You can, however, trap yourself in potential futures and use it to rationalize not doing anything because you're scared. Some people spend their whole lives doing that.

2. Be confident. Be honest. You're bound to run into her again in the near-future, ask her if she wants to grab some lunch/dinner and then just talk to her. Ask her about herself, where she's from, etc. Let the conversation open up naturally.

3. After doing this a couple of times, ask her out to see a movie. Or maybe to go look at some exhibit at your school's art gallery, since you're both into drawing.

4. Don't worry about the roommate. Yes, some guys are just born womanizing dicks (MSH's Scumbag Steve roommate comes to mind) but a lot of guys kind of lose their freakin' minds when they first to college and have cute girls in proximity pretty much around the clock. Though if you and Likes-To-Draw-Girl hit it off and become an item, don't hesitate to draw a line in the sand. It's not chauvinistic or sexist (imho) to "stake a claim", especially in a competitive environment like a college dorm.

5. Trust me, any perceived potential humiliation you're worried about? It's small potatoes compared to the humiliations you'll have later in life. Not trying to be a downer, but life just does that shit to people. And you'll still survive.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81137 on: September 10, 2014, 08:47:01 am »

You can do it, Spessh_

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81138 on: September 10, 2014, 08:48:30 am »

(MSH's Scumbag Steve roommate comes to mind)
Oh, nostalgia.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81139 on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:12 am »

(MSH's Scumbag Steve roommate comes to mind)
Oh, nostalgia.
Whatever happened to that dude anyways?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81140 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56:50 am »

No, he simply failed to maintain the minimum GPA requirement, and as such was not permitted to return for a year, as well as being kicked out of his fraternity (I happened to run into another member of the frat who knew him, he was rather infamous with them). It's been over a year now, but I doubt he's going to re-apply.

Honestly, he's better off pursuing a musical career anyway, he was legitimately good at it (8+ years experience at 18, could perfectly reproduce any heard guitar track within a minute), despite all my complaining.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81141 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11:31 am »

No, he simply failed to maintain the minimum GPA requirement, and as such was not permitted to return for a year, as well as being kicked out of his fraternity (I happened to run into another member of the frat who knew him, he was rather infamous with them). It's been over a year now, but I doubt he's going to re-apply.

Honestly, he's better off pursuing a musical career anyway, he was legitimately good at it (8+ years experience at 18, could perfectly reproduce any heard guitar track within a minute), despite all my complaining.

Ahh, a future Fred Durst.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81142 on: September 10, 2014, 09:21:22 am »

I have another appt with my therapist today. I still just feel like shit though. I saw myself in a clear mirror today, and was surprised by it. I suddenly had this overwhelming feeling that I'm just continually transforming, more and more, into someone I hate and disgust, and I have no idea how to stop it.

I wish I didn't exist, I wish I was never born, just so I could have the luxury of never having to worry about actually living my life. It all just seems like too much, a grandiose dream that can never be aspired to, it's just so scary and painful, I don't know what to do.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81143 on: September 10, 2014, 10:21:06 am »

Your brain is lying to you. That is anxiety talking. Life is no more grand than you want it to be (and often less), you're not transforming as much as you think, and there's no external standard for you to fail to live up to. You're doing fine at life, and if it helps you feel better, the anxiety is a sort of Challenge Mode - you may feel like you can't do things others consider easy, and that may make you doubt your worth, but the fact is that those things are harder for you than the people you're comparing yourself to, and whatever progress you do make says a lot more in favor of your courage and strength than you think. Because it represents a much greater ability to invest effort than if your goals were trivially achieved.

Doesn't make it any easier. But at least you can take pride in the steps you do take - like going to the gym, for instance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81144 on: September 10, 2014, 10:23:39 am »

Bluh, I'm confused.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81145 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:22 am »

Doesn't make it any easier. But at least you can take pride in the steps you do take - like going to the gym, for instance.

Unless you hurt yourself twice in the first two visits like this idiot I know who sometimes posts on this forums and has a username similar to scriver's.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81146 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:06 am »

Unless you hurt yourself twice in the first two visits like this idiot I know who sometimes posts on this forums and has a username similar to scriver's.

scribble is a pillar of the community do not call them an idiot thanks

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81147 on: September 10, 2014, 10:49:05 am »

scribble is a pillar of the community do not call them an idiot thanks

I'm lazy, is that an actual registered person here?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #81148 on: September 10, 2014, 10:49:24 am »

Sibling rivalry is a proud American tradition.
We're not all Americans. I'm Canadian.
This irks me in a way I can't rightly explain. But I want to say something along the lines of: duh.

-snip-
Uh, ask her out.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81149 on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:28 am »

Sibling rivalry is a proud American tradition.
We're not all Americans. I'm Canadian.
This irks me in a way I can't rightly explain. But I want to say something along the lines of: duh.

Assuming all USA traditions are universal throughout North America is a proud American tradition :P
Pages: 1 ... 5408 5409 [5410] 5411 5412 ... 8167