Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5401 5402 [5403] 5404 5405 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424258 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #81030 on: September 09, 2014, 04:23:30 am »

I can't do ANYTHING today, because I physically cannot extend either of my arms beyond the right angle. At least not without pain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81031 on: September 09, 2014, 05:05:24 am »

I always wonder why people get so mad about same sex relationships...
I mean, it's not like it matters to them if two other people decide they like each other. I don't actually understand humans that well, you are all so weird...

And if someone tells me same sex attraction is a choice, I ask them if liking chocolate is a choice. It's not like you wake up one day and go "I decide I like chocolate from now on!"
They never got over the 'eww' phase, and it just got worse.
Closed Mindedness, Kal :s
Or assumptions from extreme negative situation (which is very vulnerable for generalizing...) that it's a binary thing [This will ALWAYS happen//VERY GREAT POSSIBILITY if {x} is allowed to happen...which isn't holistic in understanding, at all :v] ie perceiving a wrong where there is none.
Or HOmophobia (which is illogical in its foundation; attaching something negative and attributing it as a future happening instead of a probable reality//looking at the reasons why)
I mean, I could say 'religion', but that's generalizing--its the interpretation of what's in the religion.
Proof here; we're a predominantly Catholic country and 'yet' (dunno why there's a yet but :v) are the most gay friendly place in Asia...it's ok here, though obviously there's respect to limits and all such.

Basically, what greatorder said.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:32:22 am by Tiruin »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81032 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:01 am »

Search any two-word term on DeviantART (barring peoples'/characters' names)
If you get less than 16 results, you lose
If you find any of the following within the first 2 pages of results, you lose:
-Anime/Manga style submissions of any kind
-Ponies
-Sonic
-Furries
-Sparkledogs
-Selfies with photoshop filters.
Why are sparkledogs even still a thing.

Also "intercontinental trebuchet" was an instant win. Hah!

Edit: so does most scientific terms
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:30:51 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81033 on: September 09, 2014, 07:46:16 am »

Maybe it has a label? "FYI: I AM NOT A PONY"?
Nah, that doesn't even work for pipes, much less mammals.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81034 on: September 09, 2014, 08:22:02 am »

I feel like I should contribute something to the homosexuality discussion (partly because I live in a very... Let's say "judgemental" area)
I have never understood the hatred towards that, despite being surrounded by said hatred. People around here will frequently threaten gay people openly, and never get punished for it, I've heard people compare homosexuality to beastialty (as if there is any comparisson to that whatsoever).

I still don't get why some people are so narrow-minded on the subject, but *shrugs*. I've seen the hate towards it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81035 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:37 am »

... Homosexuality... Cool.

Spoiler: Warhammer. Not toohoo (click to show/hide)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #81036 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:49 am »

I always wonder why people get so mad about same sex relationships...
I mean, it's not like it matters to them if two other people decide they like each other. I don't actually understand humans that well, you are all so weird...

And if someone tells me same sex attraction is a choice, I ask them if liking chocolate is a choice. It's not like you wake up one day and go "I decide I like chocolate from now on!"

I don't care what people do privately, or even in public. (As long as it isn't dangerous, you understand.)

It's the blatant shouting out "I am gay! Look at me! Weehee!" that I don't understand. I mean, sure, if it were to tell all the "homophobes" that there are gay people, get used to it, that would be fine. Still irritating to anyone who already knows that, but fine. However, there are quite a few who don't do it for that...they just shout it out for the sake of it. I mean, I don't care if you're gay. I don't care if you like leeches. I don't care if you're straight.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #81037 on: September 09, 2014, 11:59:47 am »

It's almost as if homophobes turn being gay explicitly into attention-seeking behavior [in their own mind] and then come up with half-reasoning to explain how they aren't homophobes, just against the 'ones who always shout it out'
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #81038 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:22 pm »

I don't know about rationalising homophobes, but I really cannot fault anyone for getting annoyed when people decide that they are going to obnoxiously rub one of their characteristics in everyone else's faces. I'd get just as angry at a guy alternately loudly making out with his girlfriend and screaming "Look how straight I am!" as at a guy doing the same but with his boyfriend and how gay he is.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81039 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »

It's almost as if homophobes turn being gay explicitly into attention-seeking behavior [in their own mind] and then come up with half-reasoning to explain how they aren't homophobes, just against the 'ones who always shout it out'
That's wrong. You can't use homophobia- a crime- as a stamp to put on someone who has a problem with a certain guy's attitude.

I have sat and spent 45 mins bitching about the outrageous flamboyance of a gay guy at a friend's party. Am I a homophobe?
Probably, unless you consider that I was sitting with my gay friend and his boyfriend, whilst the three of us were being snarky and annoyed together. The fact I even have to Stoop to the "I have gay friends so I'm not a homophobe" cliche makes me mad.
So maybe, possibly- I'm not a homophobe, and that guy actually was an attention whore.

There's a problem- flamboyance is now synonymous with gayness because of the stereotypes circulating; they are circulating because the archetype of the flamboyant, attention seeking gay man is common. "Manly men" are an archetype who are usually reserved and dislike large displays. So therefore because one Archetype dislikes another, they're homophobes- regardless of the fact that they're perfectly allowed to dislike "omggirls", etc.
Discrimination can go two ways, and closed-mindedness certainly can. Someone is perfectly able to have a problem with your attitude without having a problem with your sexuality, even though saying they're a gay-basher is so much easier than coming to the difficult conclusion that you may have a personality clash.

This being said- some homophobes Do, and some say things like "I don't mind gays as long as they stay quiet about it"- that's wrong.
But Mictlantecuhtli, your post sounded incredibly accusatory, and if there's One group of people that I'll feel suitably meta in white-knighting, it's mis-labelled WASPs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:21:27 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81040 on: September 09, 2014, 12:27:06 pm »

You have to draw a line on tolerance at some point, and for me it's feather boas. Though TBH that's more of a fashion thing as I think women too should be banned from wearing feather boas in public.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81041 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:11 pm »

Not to mention all those thousands of poor quetzalcoatls that get slaughtered...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81042 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »

I have sat and spent 45 mins bitching about the outrageous flamboyance of a gay guy at a friend's party. Am I a homophobe?

If your complaints centered around his "unmanliness" and felt that he was the "wrong kind of gay" then yes. Most homophobia tends to target the femme aspects in gay men. If you just find his behavior grating rather than attempting to label his differences as a grab for attention or otherwise insincere, and not related to him being gay, then no. Or maybe to clarify that last bit: You can find flamboyant personalities annoying without being a homophobe, but when you consider it a problem with (some) gay people you've crossed a line.

And homophobia isn't a crime in itself. Even in Hate Crimes the additional punishment is because it aggravates an act to have wider social consequences rather than being homophobic itself.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81043 on: September 09, 2014, 12:48:18 pm »

Discrimination is a Crime- at least in Australia.

In other news- we actually did just pick out the annoying aspects of his personality. I guess all three of us are homophobes. If him calling every woman "honey", aggressively hitting on vaguely uncomfortable straight men simply in order to get a reaction, and constantly praising his own looks are things that are inextricably linked to his sexuality, then I apologize.

Facetiousness aside, after a big rant on open-mindedness I'd be hypocritical not to think on what you're saying.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #81044 on: September 09, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »

There are people that are simply annoying

It doesn't matter if they harbor sexual attraction to man, woman, or mayonnaise
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 5401 5402 [5403] 5404 5405 ... 8167