Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4826 4827 [4828] 4829 4830 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443673 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72405 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:08 pm »

I think I'm getting sicker.

My fever is getting worse, and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I feel very exhausted.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72406 on: April 02, 2014, 08:25:56 pm »

I think if I ever followed a religion, it would end up being the church of Satan. Primarily because one of the tenants is basically "thou shalt not rape".

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72407 on: April 02, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »

I think if I ever followed a religion, it would end up being the church of Satan. Primarily because one of the tenants is basically "thou shalt not rape".
All religions have that, as far as I recall. Even during antiquity, rape of your compatriots was recognised as something abhorrent.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72408 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:19 pm »

Yeaaah... "compatriot" being the important bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72409 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:53 pm »

Well Christianity is completely OK with rape, as long as you're not raping a virgin, but even if you do, it's all alright as long as you marry her afterwards.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72410 on: April 02, 2014, 08:57:15 pm »

Well, the basic tenants of Descanism are "Don't hurt anybody," "Help as many people as possible as efficiently possible to survive, with the least impact on their choices," "Don't force people to do anything against their will," "Better yourself in whatever way you deem fit as long as it does not interfere with the first three," and "Do whatever you want as long as it does not interfere with the first four."

Also, church services are basically booze and orgies*, so there's that.

*non-orgy and non-booze services available on request. Though what you would actually be DOING with that free time, ya got me.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72411 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

Yeaaah... "compatriot" being the important bit.
And many of the more advanced cultures, such as Romans, Danes and Christians and Muslims in general, got rid even of that distinction.

History contained much less rape than G. R. R. Martin would have you think.

Well Christianity is completely OK with rape, as long as you're not raping a virgin, but even if you do, it's all alright as long as you marry her afterwards.
Not really, no. You are not supposed to rape or hurt anyone period under Christianity's tenets. What you are talking about is non-religious medieval civil law, which obviously had much more power and effect on society than religious dogma.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72412 on: April 02, 2014, 09:05:14 pm »

Eeeeeeeeeehhhh... Prohibition of adultery, much? If you're not even allowed to masturbate, I doubt that rape would be permissible.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72413 on: April 02, 2014, 09:12:37 pm »

Eeeeeeeeeehhhh... Prohibition of adultery, much? If you're not even allowed to masturbate, I doubt that rape would be permissible.
As "The Scarlet Letter" shows, fundamentalist Christians do not look kindly upon any sexual acts outside of marriage at all. The "marry her afterwards" bit was, as I said, added by civil courts because the Bible never said anything about sanctions that should follow those sexual acts and was most often not the only punisment. It was more of a victim compensation/rehabilitation measure, even, as not being a virgin significantly lowered a woman's chances of getting married due to social stigma, so forcing the man who took her virginity via rape or adultery to marry her was a way of helping her reintegrate into society proper.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:18:05 pm by Knit tie »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72414 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:52 pm »

She might be thinking of Leviticus and Deuteronomy laws.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72415 on: April 02, 2014, 09:26:04 pm »

That's old testament and Hebrew, not Christian. Christians were explicitly told by Jesus to stick to the new testament.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72416 on: April 02, 2014, 09:28:37 pm »

I'm not disagreeing with that*, but I'm just saying, what she said sounds very familiar to certain passages in the OT.

*Though technically Jesus said "I come not to abolish the law but fulfill it," so it can be taken either way. >_>

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #72417 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:12 pm »

If you're not even allowed to masturbate.

This was a huge misinterpretation, incidentally. The sin of Onan (spilling his seed), was pulling out instead of knocking up his brother's widow as he was ordered to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72418 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:42 pm »

See my earlier post about victim compensation either way.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72419 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:24 pm »

eh, what? That's news to me. (I actually don't think that's entirely true. :P All Christians I've met, regardless of denomination, have been completely loathing of rape.)

That's old testament and Hebrew, not Christian. Christians were explicitly told by Jesus to stick to the new testament.
For good reason... death was the punishment for just about everything in the old testament - including sex outside of marriage, if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:55:54 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 4826 4827 [4828] 4829 4830 ... 8167