Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4375 4376 [4377] 4378 4379 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423747 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65640 on: September 14, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »

I've already moved past the "woe is me" shit a long while ago. It's that it doesn't matter if life sucks because that's only relevant in the context of your continued mental existence, and as soon as that and the ripples created by it end, that's it. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I am incapable on a fundamental level of rationalizing away the concept of mortality, and I'm not certain that that's a bad thing. Uncomfortable, maybe, but I've never been one to choose easy ignorance over painful truth, at least not on matters this critical. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65641 on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:29 pm »

It's rather sick, really, to have existence without meaning and still wish beyond anything else to continue it, existing purely for the sake of existing.
Why?

I just spent 30 minutes thinking about your post. I wrote 3 multi-paragraph posts in that time and scrapped them all. Because they all seemed to fall down to this single question at this particular sentence. Just...why is it bad, to want to exist? Later you have the sentence that life will continue until "all existence comes to an end", but you mark it as futile, and doomed. The rest of the post is a desire for understanding and meaning, but I just don't understand why the lack of those makes life bad, or why not reaching the apex discards the steps that you have made.

EDIT: Isn't the whole point of your post that mortality is unavoidable? Why worry about universal constants? Constants seem kinda non-critical to me.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #65642 on: September 14, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »

I've already moved past the "woe is me" shit a long while ago. It's that it doesn't matter if life sucks because that's only relevant in the context of your continued mental existence, and as soon as that and the ripples created by it end, that's it. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I am incapable on a fundamental level of rationalizing away the concept of mortality, and I'm not certain that that's a bad thing. Uncomfortable, maybe, but I've never been one to choose easy ignorance over painful truth, at least not on matters this critical. :|
RELEVANT COMIC TIME
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65643 on: September 14, 2013, 04:40:33 pm »

It's not that it's a bad thing to want to live in spite of the fact that life is inherently meaningless, just that it's somewhat perverse. S'like... It's that there is no meaning to life, and the closest thing we could have to true meaning is impossible by virtue of the fact that we can never truly and completely understand one another. The myth of Sisyphus really is a perfect allegory for this situation: not only does the eternal pushing of the boulder up the hill accomplish nothing, but we desire to continue to do so, in spite of the fact that we are incapable of ever breaking the cycle.

We're drinking from an empty glass while dying of dehydration, yet we don't want to stop because an empty glass to drink from at least carries the fantasy of water, as opposed to nothing at all.

Hm, on another note, I was positing that the cycle would continue until the extinction of our species however many years-centuries-millenia-millionsofyears down the line, not until the end of the universe. Apologies if I was unclear. The point I was getting at was that, futile though it is, we as a species would continue to invest in the same delusions and desires until the last human consciousness ceases.

Perhaps I place too much value on understanding of others, but we are at the core social animals. What higher truth can we find than understanding another human entirely, to understand them as perfectly as we can understand ourselves if we cast aside the mental tools we use to disguise and ignore our flaws. I don't think that I can think of anything more quintessentially joyful than that. I worry about the constant of death because it removes human minds from the universe without their true voice ever being heard by another. I mourn the loss of every mind, soul, whatever you want to label the spark of awareness that defines us. I dread my own death because with it I lose not only my own consciousness but the hope of ever truly understanding another, futile though it may be.

It's rather sick, really, to have existence without meaning and still wish beyond anything else to continue it, existing purely for the sake of existing.
FD's going nihilistic!

Quick! Use kittens!

Anyways, I don't see anything bad about there not being some sort of ultimate meaning, goal or what have you. You can make up your own meanings, goals and so on.

"There can't possibly be any meaning in this world. But isn't that wonderful in its own right? Because if there isn't any, we can find our own."
That's the heart of my concern, though! Those meanings are only meaningful for as long as we live. At best, they may survive a few centuries longer if we are truly notable individuals whose works are thought on often, but even then a great deal of truth is lost with our death. It's an excellent way to distract oneself, certainly, but it is ultimately not enough, at least for me. I don't much care for the faffery of nihilism as it is commonly expressed; I'm trying to avoid mindless angst.

RELEVANT COMIC TIME
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hehe, maybe it is a tad presumptuous of me. But I'm only concerned with my own existence by extension, as a part of the larger issue of our inability to understand others. If I could believe that someone else could know me to the very bottom of my soul, and that that knowledge could be passed on, I would be much more willing to accept death on my own part, and nothing would bring me greater happiness than being able to understand others in the same fashion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #65644 on: September 14, 2013, 05:35:43 pm »

What does it matter if 'your meaning loses it's meaning' when you're gone anyway?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65645 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »

This moment will lose meaning at some point in the future, but that has no bearing on the meaning it has in this moment.  Every moment has meaning, unless sacrificed to the desire for something more.  If you live in the moment, then you will never hunger for meaning.  You're not pushing the boulder because you hopelessly yearn to reach the top of the hill.  You're pushing it because at that moment, it's what you want to do.  A life lived as such is perfect.  Your entire life mattered to you, and the question of what matters or not ceases to be when you're not around to ponder it.

And I don't know about the complete understanding of another bit, either.  There's something romantic to the notion, but there's also something romantic to the notion that the combination of your self and experiences is completely unique.  In fact, it's the only unique thing about you.  If anyone else is able to absorb that in totality from you, it may become less so.

Also note that a core element of beauty is fragility and transience.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #65646 on: September 14, 2013, 05:42:58 pm »

Personally, I prefer: If all we are is what we do, then make what you do what you are. If you're in front of a firing range, it may seem futile to spend your last moments making jokes. But the better question is, what do you gain by focusing on the guns? Then again, personally I've never understood the whole "We needs to has meaning" stuff. So most people find the fact that the entire universe isn't designed specifically for them...upsetting? Does seem like an odd form of species-wide Megalomania...

In truth, you could be said to have already died. Many times. Consciousness is a stream, a river and not a stone. Who you were is no longer how you are, you are incapable of truly thinking in that way, truly being that way as you were at that moment. All that remains is a memory, as interpreted by you. And that memory will fade, change. You of then no longer exist, soon you as you are will be in the same state. May happen today, may happen in a year, but eventually there will be a point where you-as-you-are can be considered dead, usurped by you-who-you-will-be.

Events, experience, there will always be more for you-as-you-are to experience, and slowly you-as-you-are will become you-as-you-will be and not even notice it. That's the difference between simply having changed and death-death: One still carries the promise of more experience, the other ends it.

Of course, the ultimate goal is for me-who-will-be to join the club.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:50:51 pm by MorleyDev »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #65647 on: September 14, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »

Band's last gig in probably a good while was last night, didn't go so great thanks to shitty equipment and whatnot.

Keyboardist is likely being kicked out if the whole band doesn't just dissolve, she's the least responsible person I know and her boyfriend is both an enabler and a sociopathic arse to anyone who tries to talk her out of doing stupid shit we don't have time for, drummer's already decided to leave for his own independent reasons

Band breaking up will inevitably tear apart lead guitarist, who has literally nothing else going on in his life right now; no house, no job, and a hell of a childish conviction against getting the latter

I honestly don't know what's happening to my circle of friends in the next few months
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65648 on: September 14, 2013, 10:11:26 pm »

I dropped my pizza. It's sacrifice will be remembered. I'm eating it anyway i don't give a shit.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #65649 on: September 14, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »

I dropped my pizza. It's sacrifice will be remembered. I'm eating it anyway i don't give a shit.
Fuck yersh

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65650 on: September 14, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »

Sad:  Still no news on Brutal Doom v19
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65651 on: September 14, 2013, 11:40:16 pm »

Afraid so. This is the downside of SgtMkIV being a perfectionist. On one hand, everything he makes is delicious. On the other hand, delays, delays, delays.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65652 on: September 15, 2013, 12:17:39 am »

Went to sleep an hour before midnight, woke up at 3:00.
Story of my life right here.
You see? I have to go to work at 9:30 in the morning, so what do I have?

An alarm set to 7:30.
Another alarm set to 8:30.
A third alarm set to 8:45.
A fourth alarm set to 9:00.
And a fifth alarm to 9:15.

I WILL NOT MISS WORK, DANG IT.
With anything less than two or three alarms, there is very little chance that I will actually wake up and stay up, it's terrible.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65653 on: September 15, 2013, 12:54:37 am »

I had someone I respect highly tell me my setting idea was no good.

I still think it has merit, but he is a genius...

So I feel unconfident and like I let myself down right now.

The concept was that the setting would take place entirely on moons surrounding planets. Yet each of these moons are essentially living planets that chance according to what occurs. The living planets also serve as the gods in this setting but due to how they perceive time and their semi-sentient nature they are extremely passive.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65654 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:32 am »

My wife's voice is the only sound that wakes me.  I will sleep through any other, without fail.  I've slept through lightning striking my house.  The only idea I have for how I'll cope if she's ever not around is to record her voice and make an alarm with it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 4375 4376 [4377] 4378 4379 ... 8167