Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4377 4378 [4379] 4380 4381 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419592 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65670 on: September 15, 2013, 10:04:46 am »

Why stop at band names? I'm sure DF could provide us with some great song names as well.
What about: "The Song of Singing"?

Would have to be an a capella song.
Along with The Song of Signing and the Song of Singeing. Brilliant.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #65671 on: September 15, 2013, 04:18:51 pm »

I feel like any DF-affiliated band, or at least the first one, should be named Boatmurdered. Kind of the first spin-off anything of DF should be named Boatmurdered.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65672 on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:28 am »

Carl Sagan died. D:

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #65673 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:19 am »

....in 1996, iirc >__>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65674 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:42 am »

Yeah.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65675 on: September 16, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »

Carl Mercek died. D:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65676 on: September 16, 2013, 01:37:18 pm »

What was the criticism for it? It sounds interesting, perhaps you just presented it poorly or it needs more development or whatever you want to use it for won't work out well

"If the planets are gods why don't they just summon up a destructive force to kill all the pesky humans?"

Which frankly my answer is that they cannot. They aren't omnipotent.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65677 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:44 pm »

Say what. How else do you explain earthquakes, typhoons and volcanic eruptions, HMMMM?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65678 on: September 16, 2013, 02:04:18 pm »

Say what. How else do you explain earthquakes, typhoons and volcanic eruptions, HMMMM?

Yes but why doesn't that god create a SUPER tornado that happens over every single human?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #65679 on: September 16, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »

Well, you did say they're extremely passive. They are living planets: who cares what the humans on them do? Planets survive everything short of a cataclysmic event.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65680 on: September 16, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »

Because it'd be outright MAD to do so. The world would tear itself apart.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65681 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:07 pm »

Well, you did say they're extremely passive. They are living planets: who cares what the humans on them do? Planets survive everything short of a cataclysmic event.

Honestly I my idea was that their hostility towards how civilization enacts upon them is reflected in monsters, creatures, disasters, and such. Where a planet's entire personality and domains are dependent on the environment. Change too much and you create what is essentially an ecological shift.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65682 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:24 pm »

Yes but why doesn't that god create a SUPER tornado that happens over every single human?

here's something for you: the earthgod feeds off misery. humans bring in a lot of misery, and by killing humans once in a while it causes grief, which works like misery more or less

there are so many humans now that earthgodbro has ridiculous amounts of food and has no reason to kill us all (though you can assume they'd be capable of doing so)

i'm not exactly supportive of the "planets are gods" theory but that's more because i've never spoken to earth, it's probably busy doing earh stuff anyway and would yell at me

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65683 on: September 16, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »

The thing is... what is a god is very culture dependent.

Which is what I am starting to see is the largest barrier to the setting, because the modern day perception of what a deity is basically an all powerful being.

When, for example, the Norse Gods were a lot more limited and could even be slain by ordinary humans. Odin couldn't kill all humans if he wanted to, not even close. The Genus Loci of the Romans had all the power of a guardian angel (weak in other words). As well the Celestial Bureaucracy had gods of such diminutive status that they were less powerful then bugs.

The Planets are gods they just aren't the sort of gods who instantly manifest or communicate constantly and clearly. They have great power but in the same way that we have great power over our bodies. We cannot drive our hand into our own bodies to pull out diseases, but we can eat healthy, exercise, and drink anti-biotics.

But the thing is... if I cannot communicate that, then there is no point. If it cannot be understood, there is no point.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:22:59 pm by Neonivek »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65684 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:59 pm »

certainly you are onto something.

a god, in the most simple definition, is a being which takes in power and puts it where it is desired. it's sort of wonky as it puts anything living as a god (takes in matter, processes it to sustain life)

people like to claim it implies sentience but that's not really the case; you see this clearly on the ones which establish "nodes" which are more or less energy transit points between planes

at the least, this is my understanding put into something that isn't a 30 page or larger work.
Pages: 1 ... 4377 4378 [4379] 4380 4381 ... 8167