Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3947 3948 [3949] 3950 3951 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476663 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59220 on: March 15, 2013, 01:58:48 pm »

So I have figured out the reason this lawyer might cut my pay and/or shitcan me, etc:

He's not in the best of shape.... He does need, very badly, somebody to plow through his backlog of crap to do, and despite being a VERY good lawyer (having literally gotten people off in murder trials several times) people are not really paying him.... Rather, enough people are not paying him that money is relatively tight. His cash is tied up in the expenses of litigating his cases.... He may not get this back....

Moreover, several of the personal injury cases he does, leaves him guaranteeing court and medical costs for clients until and unless the case either settles or wins at trial. It is not an exaggeration to say that he has easily got six figures or more out guaranteeing medical bills of clients. He will not get those back until and unless he wins those cases or they settle. It seems people do not get how plaintiff personal injury lawyers have massive expenses, namely, other people's medical expenses. All they read about in the paper is $large amount of money. That's before expenses (gross) and the larger the award, the bigger the doctor's bill.... Med bills are not small.... I do not understand how secretary has kept this place going....

All this translates badly for him. He may not be ABLE to pay me for what I'm doing. Of course this fact, if known would mess up his business even moreso than it already is.... Thus, one can predict a person in his position would take active measures to conceal this and keep others such as myself from saying anything. It would be so much easier and cheaper to fire my ass and say I didn't do a good job than to say he's having business difficulties.... This is especially true given that his business depends upon reputation....

Frankly, he has too many freeloader clients as well.

I don't think he'll fold up as an institution in this area, but damn.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #59221 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:13 pm »

Truean's Reasons Being a Lawyer Sucks #452

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #59222 on: March 15, 2013, 02:05:30 pm »

I have never ever heard of a lawyer paying medical bills for his client for injury claims. My own mothers neck was broken once by a student who threw a desk at her and again by her principal who assaulted her in his office afterwards. Why did her lawyer not pay for medical expenses?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #59223 on: March 15, 2013, 02:05:54 pm »

I think I just saw my first non-ironic 'YOLO' on facebook.

I was hoping I could make it, but... I mean, I still got pretty far, but still...
;_;

You Obviously Love Owls!

...Somebody's been reading Questionable Content ;)

Someone linked me to it, and then I spend about 4 days straight reading the entirety of it. Was upset when I got to the end. :(

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59224 on: March 15, 2013, 02:13:19 pm »

I have never ever heard of a lawyer paying medical bills for his client for injury claims. My own mothers neck was broken once by a student who threw a desk at her and again by her principal who assaulted her in his office afterwards. Why did her lawyer not pay for medical expenses?

Lawyers don't HAVE to pay for their client's medical expenses.... Several don't have the resources. Medical bills are extraordinarily expensive with relative ease.... Think about a business paying these from an economic standpoint. It really doesn't make sense, and that's also kind of my point..... It is impractical and sometimes impossible do to. It's amazing that he does at all....

Also I was oversimplifying it, because I didn't wanna get into the technicalities. He didn't pay any of them upfront. He signed a letter guaranteeing the doctor's payment and making him liable. With this letter, the doctor will work.... It would be foolish for anyone to sign such a document unless they thought they had a very good case.

In any event, any medical bills would be paid out of any judgment or settlement in that kinda case, should one occur. Problem being companies have lobbied for "tort reform" for decades and it's largely killed off the personal injury plaintiff practices, or at least severely hurt them. Additionally the idea of "personal responsibility," has killed jury verdict amounts. "Personal responsibility" doesn't enter into things when they are an accident.... If 1% of the people in the US get into an accident that'd be what...? 300,000,000 x .01 = 3,000,000 people. So 2% would be 6,000,000? 3% would be 9,000,000.... It isn't that there are "too many plaintiffs." It's all about probability.... Try explaining that to people though....

Not only can you not afford a lawyer when you need one, but the lawyer might not be able to afford your case....

Point being, I might be screwed/out of a job/paycut.... Who knows.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:32:08 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59225 on: March 15, 2013, 02:46:06 pm »

It's a marketing gimmick. Kind of like "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back." Or CarFax's "No Lemon Guarantee".

@Truean: Your boss might have freeloader clients, but it sounds like you might have a freeloader boss. Taking advantage of your skill and hard work when he knows he might well have to can you to avoid paying you? Supreme dick move.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59226 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21:37 pm »

@Truean: Your boss might have freeloader clients, but it sounds like you might have a freeloader boss. Taking advantage of your skill and hard work when he knows he might well have to can you to avoid paying you? Supreme dick move.

Yup. Worst case scenario, he fires me like that, I am going to have to keep up the appearance and relationship with him, so as to avoid his wrath and avoid appearing disgruntled.

This is the kinda stuff that happens when markets get cornered....

Please don't quote me.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59227 on: March 15, 2013, 06:53:56 pm »

There are so many books and I can't read them all.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59228 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:10 pm »

No one person can read all the books. Not even immortality would allow for that. Books are created faster than any human can read.

One can see it as despairing, for you shall never read them all. I see it as glorious, for I shall never have to stop reading.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #59229 on: March 15, 2013, 09:03:59 pm »

I think I've just had one of those days that was all buildup and a huge letdown at the end. Leaving me just feeling depressed and empty.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #59230 on: March 15, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »

No one person can read all the books. Not even immortality would allow for that. Books are created faster than any human can read.

One can see it as despairing, for you shall never read them all. I see it as glorious, for I shall never have to stop reading.

Unless everyone except you dies...
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59231 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44:56 pm »

Boy.  I am having a big sad.

Relationship crap, wondering why it's not over already, wishing I had some closer friends to somehow deal with this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59232 on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:39 am »

There are so many books and I can't read them all.

Book reading corollary to Sturgeon's Law: read the good 10%, forget the 90%. They were crap anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59233 on: March 16, 2013, 09:37:14 am »

Books are created faster than any human can read.
Books are written slower than all the humans could read. One hive mind, all dedicated to reading, all sharing information on what has been read. Soon humanity would catch up to all the books. All of them.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59234 on: March 16, 2013, 10:07:17 am »

Books are created faster than any human can read.
Books are written slower than all the humans could read. One hive mind, all dedicated to reading, all sharing information on what has been read. Soon humanity would catch up to all the books. All of them.
But wouldn't the hivemind already know what's in the book, since it was the one that wrote it?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 3947 3948 [3949] 3950 3951 ... 8167