Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3621 3622 [3623] 3624 3625 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466585 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54330 on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:25 am »

Or shelving supports. Gotta store those books somewhere.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #54331 on: October 17, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

Or the array operator?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54332 on: October 17, 2012, 10:56:49 am »

Braces.
Yes, English is not my native language and that kind of terms are not exactly things i know.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54333 on: October 17, 2012, 11:00:16 am »

No worries....I was just nonplussed at first trying to figure out why installing brackets would keep you out of school.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54334 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:21 am »

Hehe :P

It could normally be done out of school, but as it takes quite a long time it has to be done during school hours.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54335 on: October 17, 2012, 11:59:24 am »

I-ve got a shitload of work due tommorow, but I'm too tired to do it, even though I've been sleeping about 14 hours a day the past couple of days. Also my grades are currently horrible and somebody destroyed my only gym shirt when they tried to steal it through the grate in my locker.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54336 on: October 17, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »

Braces.

Congratulations! You get to look forward to a life of constant pain for the next several years! Good luck!

(It hurts just to remember when I had braces at this point.)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54337 on: October 17, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »

Braces.

Congratulations! You get to look forward to a life of constant pain for the next several years! Good luck!

(It hurts just to remember when I had braces at this point.)
If all goes right, it should only be 1.5-2 years.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54338 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:26 pm »

I'll never understand why so many of you guys insist on being heart-achingly lonely. All of you, gather 'round, it's pep talk time.

Look. There are 6+billion people in this world. People relatively close to you are fewer than that, sure, but you have an advantage with those people: language. You can talk to them. You can ask them questions. You can find out stuff about them. If you find out that you like them, you can tell them. If you do tell them, the very worst that can happen is that they say "no, thanks" and you move on to the next person. Seriously, that's the very worst. You don't have to be crushed, or bitter, or whatever, so long at you make a legitimate attempt.

The biggest obstacle to loneliness is realizing that people can't fucking read your mind. If someone shows interest in you, and you're interested in them, all you have to do is get some way for them to figure it out. Tell them. Not ballsy enough? Write a letter/email/whathaveyou. Not your style? Serenade them. Try to start a rumor chain. Do interpretive dance. Fucking do something to let them know. You don't even have to gusto up to do it. Usually social clues will let a person know, even if you don't know you're giving them off.

The easiest way to do this, though, is usually just walking up to someone and asking, "Hey, you wanna go get something to eat sometime?" Seriously. Try it.
+1 to this. I realize I'm being hypocritical here, because I was totally Mr. Cripplingly Shy Guy in my teens and early 20's. But I'm trying to save you what it took me 15-20 years to learn: it really doesn't hurt that bad to get turned down. I have not only been stood up on dates, I went with a bro on a double-blind date one time and the females ended up breaking the speed limit and endangering life and limb in order to lose us. Which was kinda harsh but at the same time fucking hilarious.

You'll get a lot of chances, but you may not necessarily get a lot of *good* chances. So if one comes along....carpe diem.

I realize I've never mentioned the other reason over in this forum. You see, I'm stuck in a love triangle with my bestfriend and that girl. I feel compelled not to do anything at all because that might sour my relationship with my bestfriend. We both know we have/had feelings for the girl, but I don't want to steal the girl from him, so to speak, as I believe she isn't interested in him, but rather in me. And I'm (reluctantly) rooting for them, mainly because I have a bunch of personal (usually self-esteem/confidence) issues I want dealt with before I start doing anything.

But time is ticking. I really have to move. Might have to use Facebook chat to convey the message, although I fear it might be premature. Dx

The guy is taking so long. The girl might be losing interest in me. I have to do something. I must.

But how? I lack the confidence to approach her, let alone ask her out on lunch or something like that. I don't even send her text messages. I feel I might be out of character if I suddenly started doing that, and part of me is believing that I'll be losing whatever charm I had if I did.

But no matter. Better to do something than nothing at all. It's just that fear is almost insurmountable, and if I did build up enough courage, fate would go as far as to interrupt my moment of doing something and reduce my courage to ashes in the passing hours. D:

TL;DR, it's not fear of rejection. It's fear of losing a friend.

Don't mind if the girl tells me she'll think about it and throw her statement in limbo. But I do mind if it does yank a chain into motion, one that will sour a relationship between me and my bestfriend (which will most likely involve other people too, the part which I fear the most).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:32:56 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54339 on: October 17, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »

Wait, are they going out or not?

If it's been over, say, two months? And they aren't going out?

You aren't stealing anything from anyone.

I mean, if you know your friend is going to be vindictive about his own shortcomings and you value him more than her, don't do anything on that front. But you clearly want to, so maybe you should tell him to step up or back off?

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #54340 on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

I'll never understand why so many of you guys insist on being heart-achingly lonely. All of you, gather 'round, it's pep talk time.

Look. There are 6+billion people in this world. People relatively close to you are fewer than that, sure, but you have an advantage with those people: language. You can talk to them. You can ask them questions. You can find out stuff about them. If you find out that you like them, you can tell them. If you do tell them, the very worst that can happen is that they say "no, thanks" and you move on to the next person. Seriously, that's the very worst. You don't have to be crushed, or bitter, or whatever, so long at you make a legitimate attempt.

The biggest obstacle to loneliness is realizing that people can't fucking read your mind. If someone shows interest in you, and you're interested in them, all you have to do is get some way for them to figure it out. Tell them. Not ballsy enough? Write a letter/email/whathaveyou. Not your style? Serenade them. Try to start a rumor chain. Do interpretive dance. Fucking do something to let them know. You don't even have to gusto up to do it. Usually social clues will let a person know, even if you don't know you're giving them off.

The easiest way to do this, though, is usually just walking up to someone and asking, "Hey, you wanna go get something to eat sometime?" Seriously. Try it.
+1 to this. I realize I'm being hypocritical here, because I was totally Mr. Cripplingly Shy Guy in my teens and early 20's. But I'm trying to save you what it took me 15-20 years to learn: it really doesn't hurt that bad to get turned down. I have not only been stood up on dates, I went with a bro on a double-blind date one time and the females ended up breaking the speed limit and endangering life and limb in order to lose us. Which was kinda harsh but at the same time fucking hilarious.

You'll get a lot of chances, but you may not necessarily get a lot of *good* chances. So if one comes along....carpe diem.
+2. One of the truest and best things I've seen written on here in a long time. I always figured I'd be ostracized for saying something like that, but it seems you guys are a bit more articulate and thoughtful than I am. I am mantid, after all.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54341 on: October 17, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »

Yeah, there's a statute of limitations on the "poaching" rule.

As to the "not texting because it's out of character"...that could be a good thing. She might think, "Wow...he likes me so much he actually texted me. He never texts me." Doing things out of character can often turn out to be a good thing, not only for the immediate results but for the increased confidence. Once you've made that leap of faith once, it becomes a little easier.

FWIW, I've been there. Buddy of mine in college was sort of interested in this girl but kept dragging things out (even dated another girl during this time). She and I became good friends in the meantime. I held off taking things any further. He ended up with her. And then proceeded to take her for granted. So we ended up in this weird place where she was dating him, but would hang out with me when he was off doing whatever and ignoring her. And we'd cuddle on the couch and watch movies and talk, knowing full well that she'd probably be happier with me, but.....yeah. Even now, it's always a little awkward when I see her because we both know what almost was.

Moral of the story: Better to try and fail than to spend the next 20 years going "What if...."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54342 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »

Noted.

If the guy takes too long to get her, I'll be doing it myself by the next semester.

PS: What are good topics to ask if I ever wanted to talk to her? Something general and mundane, yet not a cliched "What's up and How's life going?"
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54343 on: October 17, 2012, 12:50:52 pm »

Seriously, as a massive extrovert, I find simply asking what someone has been up to and discussing that is a good first topic. Maybe they have done something cool and want to talk about it. If not, well, your gonna have to do the running there I am afraid. This has the bonus of coming across as not too sleazy, polite, and also the big plus that it makes it sound like you actually care about them if asked in the right way.
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54344 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:01 pm »

PS: What are good topics to ask if I ever wanted to talk to her? Something general and mundane, yet not a cliched "What's up and How's life going?"
Politics and religion are always a good way to filter out the obvious wingnuts.

pleasedontkillme
Pages: 1 ... 3621 3622 [3623] 3624 3625 ... 8167