Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3506 3507 [3508] 3509 3510 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465502 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52605 on: September 21, 2012, 12:16:04 am »

I thought the 'normal' human sleep scheduale was actually divide into two 3-5 hour stretches, with a little teeny bit of awake in the middle. The eight hour sleep scheduale is a modern invention.
The "normal" human sleep schedule depends a lot on conditions. If you are sleeping in short bursts, check the area for sabertooth tigers that want to eat you. Your brain may be telling you something.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #52606 on: September 21, 2012, 12:16:20 am »

I thought the 'normal' human sleep scheduale was actually divide into two 3-5 hour stretches, with a little teeny bit of awake in the middle.
Nope. Broken sleep actually means you need to start the cycle all over again. If you sleep three hours, and then three more, they don't add up into six. Your body just doesn't work that way I'm afraid. HGH is always in your system, but naturally it needs to be replaced from time to time, just like most things in your body (protein, oxygen, etc.). The largest amounts of HGH are released during the first few hours of sleep, during REM, and this continues until about six hours into your rest. Its !!SCIENCE!! baby!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:23:51 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52607 on: September 21, 2012, 12:18:28 am »

I thought the 'normal' human sleep scheduale was actually divide into two 3-5 hour stretches, with a little teeny bit of awake in the middle.
Nope. Broken sleep actually means you need to start the cycle all over again. If you sleep three hours, and then three more, they don't add up into six. Your body just doesn't work that way I'm afraid.
Actually, if you break between REM cycles, and go to sleep shortly after, it will add up.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52608 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:28 am »

The "normal" human sleep schedule depends a lot on conditions. If you are sleeping in short bursts, check the area for sabertooth tigers that want to eat you. Your brain may be telling you something.

Ah, this explains much. When I was getting all high, it often (depending on what I was using) triggered fight or flight... Then I went to bed. So I'd wake up halfway through the night, or at the tiniest noises.

Now I'm all sober and suchlike, and I sleep all the way through. Except for all the shit Drug Court makes me do in the ungodly hours of the morning.

Actually, if you break between REM cycles, and go to sleep shortly after, it will add up.

Yeah, like less than an hour of awake time between sleep times.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52609 on: September 21, 2012, 12:22:02 am »

ungodly hours of the morning.
I will never understand why businesses and suchlike open so freaking early. Modern humans just aren't meant to be up with the sun! The fact that we drink so much coffee is proof!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52610 on: September 21, 2012, 12:22:08 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

tl;dr: there's a good deal of evidence that waking up in the middle of the night for a half hour or so is quite normal. My father does it, even; there's rarely a night that goes by where he doesn't come downstairs for a snack.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #52611 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:41 am »

Nope. Broken sleep actually means you need to start the cycle all over again. If you sleep three hours, and then three more, they don't add up into six. Your body just doesn't work that way I'm afraid.
If you wake up during a REM cycle, then the next time you go to sleep it needs to start all over again, resulting in broken sleep patterns.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52612 on: September 21, 2012, 12:26:09 am »

If you wake up during a REM cycle, then the next time you go to sleep it needs to start all over again, resulting in broken sleep patterns.
Exactly.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52613 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:51 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

tl;dr: there's a good deal of evidence that waking up in the middle of the night for a half hour or so is quite normal. My father does it, even; there's rarely a night that goes by where he doesn't come downstairs for a snack.
That seems to be more normal with age. My four year old will sleep for 12 hours straight if we let her, I usually get up once for a little bit to stretch (argh, back pains,) and my father gets up every two to three hours.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52614 on: September 21, 2012, 12:28:44 am »

ungodly hours of the morning.
I will never understand why businesses and suchlike open so freaking early. Modern humans just aren't meant to be up with the sun! The fact that we drink so much coffee is proof!

See, I don't drink coffee and I work nights. Waking up before 9 or ten o'clock makes me really hateful. REALLY hateful.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #52615 on: September 21, 2012, 12:28:58 am »

Exactly.
Did I say "start over"? Too bad I can't take that back..
I meant "continue where it left off in order to make that up". Which means you're getting only half a night's rest for at least two nights.

This conversation doesn't make me sad, but "normal" Internet conversations make me sad (i.e. the YouTubez). :(

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52616 on: September 21, 2012, 12:30:18 am »

You need to upgrade to some speed, bro.

Maybe you should get a bit of sleep. And, protip: Caffiene doesn't give you energy, it allows you to process what energy you already have even faster. It's like gasoline on a fire. Burns nice and hot... For about ten minutes.

I don't normally do this. This was a special occasion. Game release and all that.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52617 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:09 am »

Hmm. I discovered something interesting on wikipedia, I wonder if anyone has ever managed the Uberman sleep schedule. (6 20 minute naps. one every four hours.)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52618 on: September 21, 2012, 12:32:43 am »

Hmm. I discovered something interesting on wikipedia, I wonder if anyone has ever managed the Uberman sleep schedule. (6 20 minute naps. one every four hours.)

No thank you. I like sleep. Naps don't cut it.
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52619 on: September 21, 2012, 12:33:48 am »

No thank you. I like sleep. Naps don't cut it.
Oh, me too. Anyone who has managed it is a god.
Pages: 1 ... 3506 3507 [3508] 3509 3510 ... 8167