Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3451 3452 [3453] 3454 3455 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465199 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #51780 on: September 12, 2012, 07:30:54 am »

... I'm not entirely sure I understand. Uh... It's basically how we view ourselves in regards to other people?

I mean.. sure, those are all things, but I'm not entirely sure what they have to do with me...
The first one is certainly a thing that influences my emotional state - I guess that would factor into self esteem? Not sure how it is related to self-image or ideal self...
That second question is one the psychs always ask and I end up freaking out because I don't know how to give them the answer they want. It would be like asking me my opinion on the moral value of the color blue. (Though it's not as bad as asking what others think, which is literally impossible)
I guess I can see the third one playing a role in all of those, and is the only that even feels related to who I am or how I think of myself, to me. I imagine it's a bit inappropriate to simply limit it to employment though - and it's certainly not something that's temporally static or exclusive since we all fill multiple social roles all the time.
And as for the last... yeah, i don't really have a group. And even when I did have groups, I never really identified with them, anymore than I identify with my apartment building. A group is just a place to live for me, I guess? Like here at bay12... It's sort of a home made up of people. But while I can see how that would /influence/ my self, I'm not sure how it is supposed to define it?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51781 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48:52 am »

Well, happy to talk on about it! :P

... I'm not entirely sure I understand. Uh... It's basically how we view ourselves in regards to other people?

That's my belief. Those four factors are from a study in 2008. It is my belief, based on that study, that the group is the defining factor for MOST people. Even cases in which they define themselves as AGAINST a group, they are basing who they are on a group.

I mean.. sure, those are all things, but I'm not entirely sure what they have to do with me...

Well, so the theory goes, anyone with a self-concept has these things 'understood', even if its not at a conscious level (I'm not sure how many people go out and try and find out the net worth of their neighbours, for example). They don't necessarily have to be correct, just have to be believed to be correct.

The first one is certainly a thing that influences my emotional state - I guess that would factor into self esteem? Not sure how it is related to self-image or ideal self...

Well, to give an example: Person A has a crush on Person B. Person B rejects Person A, saying that Person A is ugly. In this simplified example, Person A takes this comment to heart and develops a warped view of herself as ugly, regardless of actual appearance. This is the SELF-IMAGE. The IDEAL SELF is now, then, a beautiful version of Person A (as Person A sees it). Because of the lack of CONGRUENCE (a fancy word meaning the similarity between SELF-IMAGE and IDEAL SELF), Person A suffers from LOWERED SELF ESTEEM.

That's the basic theory for this part.

That second question is one the psychs always ask and I end up freaking out because I don't know how to give them the answer they want. It would be like asking me my opinion on the moral value of the color blue. (Though it's not as bad as asking what others think, which is literally impossible)

Well, with this one (as with all of these) it is best not to think about the question /too/ much. How you answer the question is just as important as the answer itself. It is hard to do, yes, but them's the breaks.

I guess I can see the third one playing a role in all of those, and is the only that even feels related to who I am or how I think of myself, to me. I imagine it's a bit inappropriate to simply limit it to employment though - and it's certainly not something that's temporally static or exclusive since we all fill multiple social roles all the time.

Yup, that's pretty much it. It's not just employment, but what you do outside of that. If you're a mother, or father, or a charity worker in your spare time, or lead a hobby group, or whatever.

And as for the last... yeah, i don't really have a group. And even when I did have groups, I never really identified with them, anymore than I identify with my apartment building. A group is just a place to live for me, I guess? Like here at bay12... It's sort of a home made up of people. But while I can see how that would /influence/ my self, I'm not sure how it is supposed to define it?

Think about when you ask a person who he supports in the sport of choice for your area. That's about the best I can think of an example this late at night for me :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51782 on: September 12, 2012, 07:58:57 am »

Think about when you ask a person who he supports in the sport of choice for your area. That's about the best I can think of an example this late at night for me :P

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean like as a superficial identifier? Like I say I support the All Blacks because even though I don't really know anything about or really care about the all blacks it is useful as a social indicator to find people with shared national experience in new zealand? Though I'm not really sure I've ever asked that question... So is it something to do with how we wear our allegiances to promote social interaction or something?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51783 on: September 12, 2012, 08:05:11 am »

Hmm. Sort of. To give a more detailed explanation, the identification with groups is more related to our social roles. So (for example) I'm a doctor at a leading hospital. It has the lowest rate of malpractice in the world. By my association with them, I see myself as a great doctor. It's more of a self-identification of the third point than anything else.

If I am a garbageman in a society where garbagemen are reviled, but I like being a garbageman, I will have a low quantity on the third factor, but a high quantity on the fourth. Does that help?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51784 on: September 12, 2012, 09:02:05 am »

So I have to study again, and it's getting sickening right now because I've gone over this stuff over the past two weeks a number of times, and as soon as I see something familiar my brain just glosses over it thinking it knows. Worse yet is that it isn't certain that there will be another term for physics (the head professor is going on a holiday next week, lasting until the end of the month, which is when the third semester starts), which makes it even harder to focus on this stuff knowing that there is a rather high chance that it will be all for nothing (because after this the next attempt is next year in April I belive).

And it's no help at all that my parents don't miss a chance to mention how I should be studying or else I'll fail at life forever everytime they talk to me. And then they wonder why I dislike having conversations with them :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #51785 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:30 am »

Must study too, and I fear if I don't get a 10% or higher relatively speaking, my chances of being able to pay for an American college will be square root'd.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51786 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44:34 am »

Must study too, and I fear if I don't get a 10% or higher relatively speaking, my chances of being able to pay for an American college will be square root'd.

If that were the case, you should stop studying immediately.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #51787 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:49 am »

And why's that?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51788 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52:12 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/africa/libya-us-ambassador-killed/index.html?hpt=wo_c1

O balls. I hope this doesn't start a war or something. Not that I think it will necessarily, but they've been started over less. :(
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51789 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52:22 am »

And why's that?

A square root is less than the original by a lot?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #51790 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:12 am »

It's the chances of paying, not the amount to pay.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51791 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:03 am »

And why's that?
If you take the square root of something between 0 and 1 (and a chance is always between 0 and 1), it will be greater than or equal to the original number.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #51792 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:11 am »

My chances are between 0 and 100, because my point of reference is 100 for a total. :D

... Screw the matematical meaning of %! I have a permil sign and I'm not afraid to us it!

‰‰‰

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51793 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:29 am »

You people and your damned newfangled math. What ever happened to plus and minus? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #51794 on: September 12, 2012, 10:04:40 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/africa/libya-us-ambassador-killed/index.html?hpt=wo_c1

O balls. I hope this doesn't start a war or something. Not that I think it will necessarily, but they've been started over less. :(
Oh dear.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 3451 3452 [3453] 3454 3455 ... 8167