Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3379 3380 [3381] 3382 3383 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477229 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #50700 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »

It appears I fucked up my classes. After selecting your classes you are supposed to do an additional step to lock them in. I forgot about this and thought the pre-selection field was actually the locked classes. Generally locked classes de-register if there is a problem after 24 hours, so seeing the classes still there a day later made me foolishly think they were locked in and fine.

I have no idea how to break this to my father. I have no plans for the semester. My father finds the prospect of finding a job over this time laughable. He also has issues with shocks and major changes to plans. In this state of shock he'll either storm off and make life at home miserable, rampage and possibly break the computer, or evict me.

But I'm still gonna go through this like a man. No saying the college messed up. It was my own mistake from my own faults.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #50701 on: August 27, 2012, 04:41:48 pm »

After selecting your classes you are supposed to do an additional step to lock them in. I forgot about this and thought the pre-selection field was actually the locked classes... I'm still gonna go through this like a man. No saying the college messed up. It was my own mistake from my own faults.
Oh for Christ's sake... I HATE that kind of nonsense. It's never happened to me with classes (thank God), but it's happened with other stuff and made life quite difficult. I imagine you've already talked to your counselor and the Registrar's Office about it? If not, try that first--it is possible that not all hope is lost. If all hope is lost, however, I am really sorry about that. Honestly. It's an awful situation to be in. I support your decision in breaking it to your father, though. This goes doubly if you're going to school on his dime rather than your own (which is how it sounds). Just ride it out as best as possible and remember to be flexible, no matter what. Life will go on, and you will come out of its fires a harder, more reliable self.

P.S.- Try not to dump magma on your Pa. He is your father unit, after all.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50702 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:34 pm »

Advisers, counselors and registration offices were not feasible options seeing as during the first week of class the entire student body is in line for them for one reason or another. Line closes around noon because the offices will close by the time they get around to the back of the line.

And I'm not terribly bashing my father for the reaction I know he's gonna have. I know the frustration of having plans, only for them to fall apart. Of seeing your kid just sorta waste his time on a computer doing stuff he has no idea about. I speak only in fear.

I do thank you for the support. I do appreciate you taking a practical approach to this. It does wonders for helping psyche me out for what's about to go down.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50703 on: August 27, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »

I can see it now...

GET ME AN ADVISER RIGHT NOW!

*fires into the ceiling*

I NEED COUNSELING!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50704 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:50 pm »

So I managed to swing from doing the best I've done in years, to being incredibly suicidally depressed...
*sigh*...
Here.
I'm torn between WTF and Awwwww. It's a strange feeling.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50705 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:10 pm »

I spent a lot of money getting ready for a hurricane, now its going somewhere else.
Well, at least you'll be ready for the zombies. Or ready to start a fort with the B12ers. Your move.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50706 on: August 27, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »

I sometimes wonder how life would be if videogames and the internet and high technology like that were just never invented. I wonder if my life would have been give a better basis had I, as a youth, never even received the opportunity to procrastinate and grow into a habit of laziness and a desire for easy rewards, and throw so much time into such tasks that they precluded all others. I'm curious if my life would have turned out to be more wholesome and rewarding, and I wouldn't be moping so introspectively all the time.

Though, I believe that it's wishful thinking to believe that modern technology hindered me, the cynical portion of my brain is quick to remind me that I would have most likely killed myself due to my dismal and neglected childhood and it was only the various forms of technological escapism that saved me...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50707 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sigh. Obviously being sober has made such an improvement in my life. Alongside the constant threat of prison time.

I sometimes wonder how life would be if videogames and the internet and high technology like that were just never invented. I wonder if my life would have been give a better basis had I, as a youth, never even received the opportunity to procrastinate and grow into a habit of laziness and a desire for easy rewards, and throw so much time into such tasks that they precluded all others. I'm curious if my life would have turned out to be more wholesome and rewarding, and I wouldn't be moping so introspectively all the time.

Though, I believe that it's wishful thinking to believe that modern technology hindered me, the cynical portion of my brain is quick to remind me that I would have most likely killed myself due to my dismal and neglected childhood and it was only the various forms of technological escapism that saved me...

Well, now I feel bad for feeling bad. Don't feel bad, Josh. I'm here, depressed too. We'll be depression buddies.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50708 on: August 27, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »

Re: ye olden times... long story short, you probably would have been even more miserable, assuming you lived this long. Or survived childbirth. And in any case, your future would be toil and more misery followed by an early death, more likely than not. Your small pleasures would be (maybe) sex and (almost certainly) alcohol, but both would be small highs leading to greater spikes of misery (child raising, liver disease).

You probably would have been more active, but likely not in anything approaching wholesome or rewarding. Menial labor in a hope to scrabble by and fuck enough for the next generation to get out and maybe not have it as poorly. Just how bad it got would depend on how far back you go, but as a general rule... we're a lot better off these days, in many, many ways. You'd have to go way back (pre-agriculture) before you hit what we think was pretty decent, and even then you'd be lucky to survive 'till thirty or so, and likely to die of something horrible at a fairly young age.

My sad usually comes from thinking off all that and how bad off we still are. Thanks, thought-tangent :-\ Still, better somewhat more down than starting to slide toward glorifying the shitty, shitty past.

And Hans, sympathy. Wish I could offer advice, but other than trying to find the root environmental causes (which you might not be materially or legally able to fix at the moment) not sure what you can do. Try to find and treat causes, though, not symptoms. Alcohol et al just covers up the latter, for a short period of time. Doesn't actually help, just pushes the symptoms away for a little while.

Though actually being able to do something about it's always a problem. Gods fucking know I wish I knew a reliable way to get out of this hellhole of a town and get a little existential security (somewhat better guarantee of not starving to death in a ditch, homeless) without shoving half my waking life up some corporation's rotting asshole and without having to resort to something that'd leave my spine a twisted mess before I'm forty, but... still working on that. Buggery hell, I really do hate this country. Most of the modern world, really. Problem being most everything else is (has been) even worse off. Gods damn this species, bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50709 on: August 27, 2012, 10:12:16 pm »

-massive snip-

Thanks. Right now, there really isn't anything I can do but work my way through another year of Drug Court. They say they want to help me, but I can't get my broken hand fixed because they want all my money. I can't move back out on my own for the same reason. I can't change my location to get away from all the shitty old memories because I'm on superprobation. I can't relax and have down time because that will make me want to use, apparently, even though having to do all this shit they make me do makes me want to get high WAAAAY more than having free time does.
They want me to have friends, but not ones that use. Well, shit, I got some bad news for you guys, EVERYONE AROUND HERE GETS DRUNK OR HIGH. If they don't, they some of those fundamentalist psychos and I'm not going anywhere near that. So I'm isolating. But they don't want me to isolate, that makes me use! Except being around people makes me want to use!
Christ. Next time you people build a program for methheads, consider the possibility that someone who isn't a methhead might get put on it. Sigh.

Anyways, end of drug court rant. I'm sure you all have heard enough about it from me. :/ Thanks again Frumple.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50710 on: August 27, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »

Re: ye olden times... long story short, you probably would have been even more miserable, assuming you lived this long. Or survived childbirth. And in any case, your future would be toil and more misery followed by an early death, more likely than not. Your small pleasures would be (maybe) sex and (almost certainly) alcohol, but both would be small highs leading to greater spikes of misery (child raising, liver disease).

You probably would have been more active, but likely not in anything approaching wholesome or rewarding. Menial labor in a hope to scrabble by and fuck enough for the next generation to get out and maybe not have it as poorly. Just how bad it got would depend on how far back you go, but as a general rule... we're a lot better off these days, in many, many ways. You'd have to go way back (pre-agriculture) before you hit what we think was pretty decent, and even then you'd be lucky to survive 'till thirty or so, and likely to die of something horrible at a fairly young age.

Well, I don't wasn't talking about all modern technology, just those ones that can be most easily blamed for sapping away my childhood one webpage and gameover at a time. I don't want to live in the horse and buggy era as your post may imply, I just want the time back that I could've been spending building the social skills that I'm only now trying to master.

-massive snip-

Thanks. Right now, there really isn't anything I can do but work my way through another year of Drug Court. They say they want to help me, but I can't get my broken hand fixed because they want all my money. I can't move back out on my own for the same reason. I can't change my location to get away from all the shitty old memories because I'm on superprobation. I can't relax and have down time because that will make me want to use, apparently, even though having to do all this shit they make me do makes me want to get high WAAAAY more than having free time does.
They want me to have friends, but not ones that use. Well, shit, I got some bad news for you guys, EVERYONE AROUND HERE GETS DRUNK OR HIGH. If they don't, they some of those fundamentalist psychos and I'm not going anywhere near that. So I'm isolating. But they don't want me to isolate, that makes me use! Except being around people makes me want to use!
Christ. Next time you people build a program for methheads, consider the possibility that someone who isn't a methhead might get put on it. Sigh.

Anyways, end of drug court rant. I'm sure you all have heard enough about it from me. :/ Thanks again Frumple.

I can't sympathize with the feeling of having an addiction, and thus can't sympathize with trying to overcome it, but still you have my sympathies Hans. I hope that the hard place you've been put into can be triumphed over.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #50711 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »

"What are those black things that have been jumping off my dogs for the past week? And why are my legs itchy?"

I have fleas bay12. Stay classy.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50712 on: August 27, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »

I was able to consolidate all my classes to Tuesday and Thursday. Four classes, starting from 9:30 am and ending at around 6:00 pm. Although after a long talk with the family I'm still on the fence on if I should take the semester off. In the meantime I'll use Wednesday to check my contacts and resources for what I can do over the fall/winter. If I see a glimmer of hope I'll take these months off and get a small job or something. Otherwise I'll go through this rigorous schedule for the last time: Just need two of these classes for an associates.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50713 on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »

"What are those black things that have been jumping off my dogs for the past week? And why are my legs itchy?"

I have fleas bay12. Stay classy.
You too, huh? Going to have to do something chemical in short order, m'self. Legs are starting to look torn to hell again, and there's at least two rooms in the house that are lightly infested. Not looking forward to it, bleh. Fleas are on my hate list. Anyone know if anything important eats them? How much damage would flea genocide actually do, anyway?

S'kinda sad, only a day or two before the dog got ran over it managed to bring in enough fleas they established a beachead. Helluva' parting gift :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #50714 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:53 pm »

People being absurdly Anti-theist on the Youtube Comments for the TED talks bugged me. I know it's Youtube, but Damn. And Racist too, since there's a shitton of trolls pretending to be muslim for some reason. I guess because Islam somehow became a backwater religion for most people, despite most of their history claiming otherwise.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 3379 3380 [3381] 3382 3383 ... 8167