Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2961 2962 [2963] 2964 2965 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440880 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44430 on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:49 pm »

In serious... define "maturity."

Like "common sense," everyone has their own definition, which is why both maturity and common sense are "uncommon." One person's spewing memes is another's making funny jokes.

Going off on how people are "immature" is saying roughly squat. Being descriptive (like mentioning the game of dwarves whining) is a million times better at communicating what you want to say.

The more you know~
Good Point.  Mainly I stray away because one of the only things I see praised is the violence that the game provides; and while the violence is fun, it's not the main point of the game (to my knowledge).  It's simply there to provide us with thourough and entertaining combat.  That's not to say that violence is the only thing praised; the great story telling and artwork inspiring values of the game are in the upper boards as well, though to a lesser extent.

Let's just say I don't really like focusing on designing the latest pit of spikes to kill dwarf children.  I like focusing on creating a short story based on, say, the assault of a Swamp Titan and the two dwarves who happened to be outside when it happened, and managed to slay the Titan.  And afterwards, when one of the two dwarfs picked up his fallen comrade (since the Titan lit the place around them on fire, giving one severe burns) and ran through the ring of fire back to the fortress, then having the comrade die right outside the drawbridge as it was opening.  That's why I play dwarf fortress and why I shy away from the upper forums, because I often find good DF artwork in the creative projects forum and writing spontaneously throughout the lower forums.

TL;DR Prefers storytelling over the violence aspect of the game.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44431 on: March 10, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress's freedom attracts a certain kind of player who has long been denied the ability to see any available form of violence applied equally to anything they can imagine. Thus they are excited when they are finally given this freedom, and it tends to be a rallying point. Unfortunately, this freedom is pretty much instantly curtailed by these same players who cry violence being the solution to every single thing. This freedom is also curtailed almost instantly with a culture of "Dwarves are the only valid way to live."

I'm an extremely pro-variety person. I do like dwarves, yes. I also really like elves. And humans. And goblins and kobolds. And animal-men. And modded races. And the concept of multispecies forts. I love the storytelling potential of Dwarf Fortress far more than I appreciate MAGMA. And so whenever I see the in-joke "oh, he's just an elf-lover", I tend to lose respect for the person who has said this because I, myself, could be considered an elf-lover.

The reasons I go above Other Games these days are the Future of the Fortress thread, the Modding forum, and the Forgotten Beast artwork thread.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44432 on: March 10, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »

The upper forums have been a hellscape for a long time.  The memes reached critical mass a long time ago and now it's just a self-sustaining reaction that covers every thread in a ten post thick crust of "LOOOL MAAAGMAAAAA"
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44433 on: March 10, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

The upper forums have been a hellscape for a long time.  The memes reached critical mass a long time ago and now it's just a self-sustaining reaction that covers every thread in a ten post thick crust of "LOOOL MAAAGMAAAAA"

This is a bit of an overstatement, but I have to admit, it's tiring seeing the same thread arise several times in the same day...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44434 on: March 10, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »

Be nice to the upper forums :(  We all started there once, y'know?  It's a transitional area.  It's silly, friendly, and gives new people a place to get acquainted with the game, learn how to play it, and post the same old fresh ideas for everyone to see Footkerchief to obliterate.  My favorite forum was the suggestion one, but after learning more about the game I gave up on giving suggestions because its taken like... ten years to get this far?  Sure a massive amount of progress has been made, but there's plenty to go.  I gave up on trying to add to the list.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #44435 on: March 10, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »

A good amount of the lower forum goers started out in the upper forums anyways. They start out as the average DF player then slowly transition to the lower forums.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44436 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »

Had an Irish dance performance today, just on the street of my town, but I kept messing up and it was very chaotic. I don't think many people noticed, but I felt like it wasn't very good and that it was my fault.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44437 on: March 10, 2012, 06:41:43 pm »

So my parents are away in new orleans for the next three days, and it just so happens that this girl I kind-of sort-of like started texting me today. It's very obvious that neither one of us has plans, but one of us doesn't have transportation (me). I feel so lame having to make somebody drive me to places anyway, compounded on the fact that she's already able to drive and I have like two years. The whole situation is to be put lightly, mildly frustrating.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44438 on: March 10, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »

You've got a house to yourself for 3 days, and a girl that likes you with the ability to drive over, and you're /complaining/?

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44439 on: March 10, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »

With two younger brothers hell bent on ruining everything I do, yes. I also live in the middle of nowhere.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44440 on: March 10, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »

Sounds like a good time to kick them out of the house.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44441 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:44 pm »

I think you guys are exaggeration the possibilities of that going on. And that's completely cool, but it's probably not going to happen. Well, I still have two days of weekend left (I'm on a three-day weekend here).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #44442 on: March 10, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

Was playing Ace of Spades, when for whatever reason, the screen went black. Obviously, it was merely another one of the game's many bugs, so I tried respawning, it didn't help, so I left the game.

That didn't help either. It was about that time I began to smell the most terrifying of all smells... the smell of burning electronics. The smell was emanating from my monitor. D:

I'll miss that monitor... It was a mere 19", but had a native resolution of 1680x1050... Now you can't get anything smaller than 22" with that resolution.

But at least those cost about half of what I originally paid for the old monitor 4.5 years ago.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44443 on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »

I feel like the immaturity levels on this forum have gone uP a little lately :(

Yeah, like people whining about pony fanfic than something that is actually real, like the death of a dear family member.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44444 on: March 10, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »

I feel like the immaturity levels on this forum have gone uP a little lately :(

Yeah, like people whining about pony fanfic than something that is actually real, like the death of a dear family member.

Some people just get used to death, and pretty much any media outlet could spark an emotional response.
Pages: 1 ... 2961 2962 [2963] 2964 2965 ... 8167