Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2767 2768 [2769] 2770 2771 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452081 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41520 on: January 01, 2012, 06:01:23 am »

Ah, don't feel too bad about it, ein. I've got around 5kish*, but a friend of mine has so much of the bloody stuff he hit the point he could play for literally a year straight without repeats a few years back.

10kish isn't that bad. Tip o'th'iceberg, it is.

*Number would multiply substantially if I had the storage for it :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41521 on: January 01, 2012, 06:05:23 am »

Came into work this morning to find that one of our agents was killed off-duty yesterday when he tried to stop an armed robbery of a pharmacy. He was just having lunch with some buddies (off-duty cops), when somebody ran in and said that the pharmacy next door was being robbed. The three of them interceded and at some point, he was shot and killed. Not clear if it was the perp's gun or friendly fire. The perp was then shot and killed as well. All over some cash and Oxycontin.

Happy fucking New Year.

Oh, and I may try and see if the South needs a mathematician when I graduate.  If there's one thing I learned from living out here, it's that I'm damned tired of being treated like a weirdo for enjoying country music and being able to plant things.  Sure, comes with its own problems and I'll still probably be treated like a weirdo, but I'll deal with it.  I need a change of scene.

Don't worry, being eccentric in the South is a lot easier than you might think. Honestly, a town isn't a good Southern town without at least one kindly, awesome oddball character. And if you go somewhere like Asheville, you may find yourself feeling a bit too normal. One of their unofficial slogans is "Keep Asheville Weird".  :P (And they have an excellent public university there)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:12:53 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41522 on: January 01, 2012, 06:10:46 am »

Eh.  *shrug*  If there's enough atmosphere to support professional mathematicians, then I imagine I'll be fine, at least for a little while.  I say this as someone who has an entire conservative half of the family (in Missouri and rural New York, but when I say Missouri, I mean that my grandfather was a Missouri Synod Lutheran minister and his wife thinks people with dyed hair should be deported; my mom's side of my family is from rural California, and she grew up in a town that was pretty much half-cowboy; my father's sister shoes horses for a living).  We get along okay.  My experience is that the social rules are a bit easier: shut up, pet the dog, and say "yes'm."  I've actually had shop clerks around here saying "Wow, I haven't heard someone so polite since I left the South."  On the other hand, I also have people say things like "I haven't seen someone walking barefoot since I left Africa," so your mileage may be all over the place.

On the other hand, there is the little problem of looking Jewish, but hopefully I'll figure something out.

I really just need to get out of here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41523 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:09 am »

Yeah, you'd manage better if you stick around the university towns and aren't too vocal about the progressive thing outside of there. The whole vicious bigotry and insularity thing isn't as bad in those areas.

The trouble is finding and managing relationships beyond shut up, pet the dog, and say "yes'm," without running into that undercurrent of 'holy-hell how can such nice people be vicious hatemongers' that's been pretty endemic to the area, from what I've experienced. M'in a particularly bad area for it, though, so you'd probably have better luck.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41524 on: January 01, 2012, 06:48:30 am »

We're not THAT bad. (Okay, maybe the Florida panhandle is...)

Personal eccentricities are actually well tolerated in the South because every extended family has "one of those", in my experience.
Social activism...perhaps not so much. But YMMV. North Carolina is historically a more progressive Southern state and has a long history of social activists, and not just in places like Asheville, Chapel Hill, Durham and Carrboro. Parts of Georgia (like Athens) are similarly funky, and then you've got the trinity of the big antebellum coastal cities: Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah. They're the American Gothic settings of choice, where eccentricism is a way of life. But they have their own social issues (read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil as a starter).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41525 on: January 01, 2012, 07:09:11 am »

We're not THAT bad. (Okay, maybe the Florida panhandle is...)
Parts of it is. It really, really is. I live there :-\

But yeah, there's less troublesome areas. It's not all bad, but some places are just pretty damn nasty if you're not 'one of their sort,' if you will.

But they have their own social issues (read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil as a starter).
Fun fact: My father actually knew the guy murdered in that book (well, the actual event it was based on, anyway). Was in the trail and everything.
Ask not!
Ask!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41526 on: January 01, 2012, 09:17:48 am »

Quote from: Douglas Adams
There is no such thing as a happy ending. Every culture has a maxim that makes this point, while nowhere in the Universe is there a single gravestone that reads, He Loved Everything About His Life, Especially the Dying Bit at the End.
Hmph. I'm going to die happy though. I've made up my mind.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41527 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:20 am »

I'm going to do just that.No wait that's stupid that'd be implying that I am going to die.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41528 on: January 01, 2012, 09:40:48 am »

It's going to be 42Celsius tomorrow. I'm gonna die. D:

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41529 on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:25 am »

Here lies Reudh: Forgot to turn off Temperature.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41530 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:24 am »

It's not my fault I embarked in a Scorching Savage biome...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41531 on: January 01, 2012, 12:57:24 pm »

So I can't do this alone...

I've known this for a long while, but honestly I think it's about time I addressed the issue. I need to get a friend, preferably two, since I learnt that having just one person to talk to for extended periods of time means that they drive me crazy... Or perhaps that was just that one person, whom we shall call N.

I've set something up for tomorrow when we'll get together and talk about junk, it's nice that she's still willing to be a listening ear from time to time.

N, is probably the only friend I've ever had who is still willing to talk to me, even if she is wary of actually being my friend again. She seems to feel it ended because well... I'm horribly broken, but frankly right at the end she was a complete prick, and decided she was never going to talk to me again over something idiotic and arbitrary, but I'm not sure getting into that argument is going to be productive.

I'm going to talk to her about seeing if I can make some friends. She has a rather wide social network, and she might be able to hook me up with someone? Or at least give some advice or something, I need to get out of the house though...

Trouble is my wishlist for things I want out of a friend is pretty hard to live up to, I want someone I can have weird intellectual conversations with at 2 in the morning, and someone who can give me some constructive feedback on my bad writing... More importantly someone to write fiction for.
But I'm not sure that that is ever going to be a reality, so I guess I'll just settle for someone to talk to.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41532 on: January 01, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »

Damnit, thumb, stop bleeding. Yes, I know I bit a little bit out of you, but that bit didn't look like it belonged, anyway. You can stop, now.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41533 on: January 01, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »

Damnit, thumb, stop bleeding. Yes, I know I bit a little bit out of you, but that bit didn't look like it belonged, anyway. You can stop, now.
tis the first sign of self-cannibalism, denial.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41534 on: January 01, 2012, 03:09:50 pm »

Well, I have two choices here. I can A) leave my car in a nearby lot and pay 20 dollars or so to get it out later or B) leave my car in the lot I have a permit for and walk 40 minutes to get home afterward. I'll take the walk, obviously, but it's an irritating choice. I guess it's luck that I have the shift at work today where I get to sit down the whole time, even if I do hate that one because it is pretty stressful.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2767 2768 [2769] 2770 2771 ... 8167