Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2749 2750 [2751] 2752 2753 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451104 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41250 on: December 26, 2011, 12:04:46 pm »

yeah. but in a few months I'm going to the US, and will need to change to dollars. It doesn't look like I'll get much.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41251 on: December 26, 2011, 12:05:18 pm »

Ouch. That sucks. You could always change it into Euros first so that you feel better about it...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41252 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:52 pm »

My boss had a seizure while I was out on a housecall Friday.  He's fine but it made me sad through the holiday and probably didn't help his much either.

But it means today he's not working and he may be out of the shop a few days resting.  We had a big client thing in progress which I am not qualified to handle. Not only did my boss already have stuff partially in place that I was not privy to, the old stuff is debian, which I know next to nothing about.  There haven't been any calls from them but I keep worrying we might end up losing the client which would be a big hit to the company right now.

It seems like I'm always either in a job I hate, or in a job I love that also just happens to be on the precipice of disaster.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41253 on: December 26, 2011, 01:03:00 pm »

Feeling generally shit today, didn't get much sleep, there is tasty food in the house but I don't feel like eating. Just one of those days where everything can be fixed with some talking but you just don't feel like talking.

So I'm just gonna drink these two liters of beer I have left while playing some tanks online.

Change of plans, tanks induce too much annoyance and rage. Gonna watch Breaking Bad, this way I can blame the authors for shit that happens.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:30:35 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41254 on: December 26, 2011, 03:22:50 pm »

Two points:
- It's a bad idea to start telling your diagnosis guesses because you might be making the diagnoser biased for or against what you said, and neither is a good thing.

- An alternate possibility about mononucleosis: they did not diagnose it early on because it wasn't that clear it was that at that point:
After only a minute examining me he declared that I had glandular fever and gave me a course of medication that cured me within a week.
It's a  viral infection.  Normally it's only treated symptomatically, and insofar as I recall none of the current antivirals is routinedly used against it.
Yeah I don't do this any more for the reasons you highlight. I just wish they'd be more professional and diagnose problems regardless of what the patient thinks is wrong with them. How do doctors treat people with delusions, for example, and still avoid bias? What's worse is when you have a good idea who you caught it off and that they have been diagnosed but bringing it up only jeopardises your own diagnosis (like in my case).

As for it not being clear what was wrong early on I'd say this was definitely possible. The only thing to change was the severity but a few problems seem to cause similar symptoms: sore throat, fever, headache, swollen glands, etc.

I might be remembering the final diagnosis incorrectly what with the fever/codeine induced hallucinations and delusions; I was bedridden by the end. The doctor definitely said it was bacterial and related to tonsillitis but then I remember him saying tonsillitis and glandular fever were related and that one could turn into the other. Having just looked it up I now know he must have been bullshitting me. Now I wonder what the medications and the illness really was.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41255 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »

That right there is why if you're not sure, you go get a second opinion. Like, ASAP.

Yeah, especially since it was obvious it was the same thing.

yeah. but in a few months I'm going to the US, and will need to change to dollars. It doesn't look like I'll get much.

Can't you buy dollars now, before it rises further?
Love, scriver~

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41256 on: December 26, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »

My computer's fan is borked, and I haven't been able to get a new one today because we've been having Christmas lunch/dinner (we're celebrating today because yesterday my mother was working).

The fan was making such an obnoxious sound that I couldn't stand having the computer on anymore. Fortunately I have my new laptop I got yesterday, which gives me a good chance to break this thing in.

Unfortunately we've had a rather obnoxious guest over. She isn't a bad person, she's just rather old and irritating. I know I shouldn't hold it against her, but I really want to spend as little time as possible around her.

There's also been a few other annoyances, just one of those days I guess.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41257 on: December 26, 2011, 06:56:59 pm »

I might be remembering the final diagnosis incorrectly what with the fever/codeine induced hallucinations and delusions; I was bedridden by the end. The doctor definitely said it was bacterial and related to tonsillitis but then I remember him saying tonsillitis and glandular fever were related and that one could turn into the other. Having just looked it up I now know he must have been bullshitting me. Now I wonder what the medications and the illness really was.
Not bullshitting. It's quite possible that you got a bacterial infection over your existing mononucleosis, or that when determining the medication for the infection, he decided to assume that you did have mono to avoid using certain antibiotics which cause severe rashes in people who have that..
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41258 on: December 26, 2011, 07:16:14 pm »

Bwahhhh, I can't believe my cousin is so stupid.  I mean, she's a nice girl, she's smart, she's a decent artist, but she doesn't seem to understand the idea that "a person creating fanworks of another person's character" and "a Native American storyteller" are different in trappings, but not in fundamental behavior (using characters you didn't invent yourself to tell a story, which she finds reprehensible in one case, and pleasantly ethnic in the other).  That, and the "all anime looks the same, so I don't like it!"  By this, she seems to not understand that "recognizable as anime" and "different from my experience, therefore undifferentiated in my mind" basically just means "it's foreign, and it has a style, and I don't understand it, so I don't like it at all, and therefore it is BAD."

Fnurrrrrrghle.

She is not good enough at art as a thing to be making these statements about it.  She only draws pictures of "earth girls," that being light-haired white women (who look like her) generally surrounded by a green-toned background.  Her style hasn't evolved in the past 10 years.

Ah, well, whatever.  Don't mind me--I'm just blowing off steam.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41259 on: December 26, 2011, 07:24:01 pm »

She sounds like a philistine. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41260 on: December 26, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »

She sounds like a philistine. :P

THAT'S BECAUSE SHE IS >:I

I'm kind of upset about this because she's become one of the two "designated artists" of my generation--our old family home was built and decorated by three generations of artists, and pretty much everyone adds something at one point or another.  We have potters, actors and actresses, a photographer, a short-story writer, a block-printer, paintings, wood cuttings, land-scapers/gardeners, jewelry-makers, knitters, an interior designer, western-style and eastern-style cartoonists, musicians, blah blah blah blah BLAH.  I don't even mean "light dabblers," either.  I'm saying that these people take part in art shows and often have or nearly escaped getting years of technical training (those who haven't done those things are usually in an area of artwork that comes along through private imitation, or get mentored by the other ones).

Basically, it's a bit saddening that someone so nurtured and coddled has such a limited viewpoint.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41261 on: December 26, 2011, 07:50:16 pm »

If anything, it's probably because she's so "nurtured and coddled".  She's been taught from the beginning that there is Right art and Wrong art.

...the idea that "a person creating fanworks of another person's character" and "a Native American storyteller" are different in trappings, but not in fundamental behavior (using characters you didn't invent yourself to tell a story, which she finds reprehensible in one case, and pleasantly ethnic in the other).

I don't know why this is such an alien concept to people, I've been saying it for years.  Historical fiction is fanfic with real people.  Mythology is fanfic with really old characters.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41262 on: December 26, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »

I'm of the opinion that fanfic is perfectly valid. But, seeing TV shows like Merlin or Camelot that absolutely ruin the mythology, rather than add to it makes me cranky. Especially when dumbclucks try and insist that that's the original.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41263 on: December 26, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »

There is such a thing as bad fanfic.  It's just that it's then, well, bad fanfic, rather than "totally unoriginal and unartistic pointless crap by definition."

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41264 on: December 26, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »

...the idea that "a person creating fanworks of another person's character" and "a Native American storyteller" are different in trappings, but not in fundamental behavior (using characters you didn't invent yourself to tell a story, which she finds reprehensible in one case, and pleasantly ethnic in the other).

I don't know why this is such an alien concept to people, I've been saying it for years.  Historical fiction is fanfic with real people.  Mythology is fanfic with really old characters.

There is a distinction that one has an artist that created it, and the other does not, so, if her distain for fanatic fiction is by some reverence for an artist’s ownership of that work, then it is entirely valid.

Remember that I am agreeing wtih the distinction, but not necessarily the premise.
Pages: 1 ... 2749 2750 [2751] 2752 2753 ... 8167