Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2722 2723 [2724] 2725 2726 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443567 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40845 on: December 15, 2011, 04:29:16 pm »

Speaking of jobs, the last couple days have been kinda depressing for me.

So, Tuesday I had my first interview for an actual salaried job, which I really wanted.  After finally giving up on desk jobs, since I don't even know what I'd want to do, I started applying for higher level positions in warehousing and such, since I have presentable experience with that at least.  Then, I get an interview call for a city government job I'd applied for.  Hot damn.

That night, I'm at my shitty warehousing job, letting myself hope for a moment that I'll finally be done there.  There's not a lot about the job that I don't like per se, it's just that in the more than three years I've been working there, I have virtually nobody to talk to.  With all due respect to them, I'm a young whitebread nerd and I have nothing in common with middle-aged Hispanic family men.  But on the one day that I finally think I might be leaving, cool people I can relate to start talking to me every ten minutes.  Three years of going to work without saying a word, and all of a sudden the people I can chat with pour out of the woodwork.  Including the one and only cute girl I've ever seen working there, which raises a serious worry in my head about myself that I can be flummoxed by an attractive female idly chatting with me.  I'm not that desperate, am I?

The next day, like clockwork, I get turned down for the job.  Not that I wasn't expecting it before even leaving the interview, but still.  I had planned that night to go to a local bar, because I'd heard about a regular open-invitation social club meeting there (Drinking Liberally), and I am indeed desperate for human contact.  It was pretty damn obvious that I was the only person there for that reason, and like most times I try to participate in an "adult" activity, I arrive alone and I'm the youngest person in the room by at least ten years, even now that I'm undeniably in my 20s.  I did manage to have a snippit of conversation with some punk rocker dude, but I didn't hang around.  At least I know I'll never be a barfly - spending $5 a drink to have my head caved in by music while watching the clock tick by in a room full of strangers is among the least attractive ways I could spend an evening.

Then I go back to my shitty job, brooding over still looking for work, and of course all those cool people I'd met the night before have vanished back into the ether where they belong, apparently.  It's times like these I really do have to question whether the universe writ large isn't actively fucking with me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40846 on: December 15, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »

I don't feel very good.  The autism club leader sent me back a very warm and emotionally manipulative letter.  She apparently doesn't give a damn about what the autistic community at large has to say.  She sent a letter that most people would be satisfied with.  It was very pretty and made her look good, while totally ignoring all of my criticism.

Don't feel good...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40847 on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:31 pm »

It's times like these I really do have to question whether the universe writ large isn't actively fucking with me.
So, you had something good appear on the horizon, which made you look hopeful for the future. Then it turned out to be a false alarm, which depressed you. The way I see it, it's no hand of fate meddling with your life, it's just your body language. Happy people are attractive and so on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40848 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47:59 pm »

Vector, I've heard you mention this autism club thing in the other thread - what, exactly, IS it?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40849 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:01 pm »

It's times like these I really do have to question whether the universe writ large isn't actively fucking with me.
The universe is actively fucking with all of us and has provided us a web forum so it can laugh at us noticing but unable to do jack about it. :)

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40850 on: December 15, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

If I learned 'the universe' was out seeking amusement from me that would be amazing.  You are the chosen one oh great green chin.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40851 on: December 15, 2011, 04:53:30 pm »

If I learned 'the universe' was out seeking amusement from me that would be amazing.  You are the chosen one oh great green chin.

Did your mother tell you that you were one in a million as a little kid? Mine did; it appears this applies to that.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40852 on: December 15, 2011, 04:55:16 pm »

She apparently doesn't give a damn about what the autistic community at large has to say.  She sent a letter that most people would be satisfied with.  It was very pretty and made her look good, while totally ignoring all of my criticism.

Tell her that. Make her realize that she can't bullshit you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40853 on: December 15, 2011, 05:03:28 pm »

Vector, I've heard you mention this autism club thing in the other thread - what, exactly, IS it?

Read the syllabus.

You may not realize it due to this information not being in the mainstream, but pretty much every thing on there is a nasty piece of work that centers on "what neurotypical people think of autistics."  Autism Speaks is like a boogie monster in autistic culture, by now.

She apparently doesn't give a damn about what the autistic community at large has to say.  She sent a letter that most people would be satisfied with.  It was very pretty and made her look good, while totally ignoring all of my criticism.

Tell her that. Make her realize that she can't bullshit you.

I thought that would have been clear from my careful deconstruction of her bullshit... at this point, she's covered her ass too well for me to fight her on my own.  Trust me, I can tell when I alone have lost.  Even though I'm standing on higher ground, she's done her homework too well.

Good thing that I have two professional rhetoricians, and possibly more if I can swing it, who are going to help me out.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40854 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:36 pm »

I had thought the "club" thing you'd been talking about was different from the "class" one.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #40855 on: December 15, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »

Did your mother tell you that you were one in a million as a little kid? Mine did; it appears this applies to that.

mine went as far as state that technically, i had less than the 0.000001 % of possibility to be born precisely as i am.
yet i was.
so i was the luckiest, strongest, most charismatic ever tiny white thingy who made it through.
that's the only reason i never have thought about suicide, in any way, and i always smile.
i own it to my other millions of comrades in arms who perished or couldn't make it.
...unluckily the second batch revealed my brother.
but that's another story.
you only have one d-day, and if you are here to write about stuff, it means at the very least, you won the most important battle of that all: the one for your existence.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40856 on: December 15, 2011, 05:18:27 pm »

I had thought the "club" thing you'd been talking about was different from the "class" one.

Club is the local chapter of "Autism Speaks U."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40857 on: December 15, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »

Ah, so the club is sponsoring the class or something?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40858 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »

What if you're not the sperm cell? What if you're the egg who just happened to be there when a large batch of sperm cells that you'd been expecting finally decided to show up, and one of them finally broke through your cell wall so you could begin building your body?

(Though, thinking about it, it's more like you're both... which would be an even less likely combination than simply being a sperm. Since you are a sperm and egg combination.)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #40859 on: December 15, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »

I feel for you. Been there done that.
Remember, though, once you finally change your job, even a crappy one will seem like an improvement.
I miss the simple days when going to work didn't mean having to talk. Talk to people.

Speaking of jobs, the last couple days have been kinda depressing for me.
Aqizzar, my advice would be to meet people. People are the only thing I have found that could land me a job in this market. It was completely impossible to get one on my merits alone, I had to stick my tail between my legs and find people who knew about openings and convince them to say good things about me.

Otherwise that was a completely depressing story and I now have to have a glass of wine.

Read the syllabus.
Possible Treatments

1. Sally Rogers, “Interventions that Facilitate Socialization in Children with Autism”
2. Susan Levy and Susan Hyman, “Complementary and Alternative Medicine Treatments for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders”
This was my "favorite" part of that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 2722 2723 [2724] 2725 2726 ... 8167