Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2648 2649 [2650] 2651 2652 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9431003 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39735 on: November 11, 2011, 09:07:35 pm »

No, it's not, but it's worth pointing out that the self-loathing is not rational.  What is rational about devaluing yourself because of a completely natural apathy towards demands and circumstances that are forced upon you by no fault of your own?  Yeah, it's your fault if you don't get a job because you're not looking for one.  However, a shitty job market and your emotional response to it is not your fault.  Not only do you have a right to complain, but it's far healthier than siding against yourself with the societal forces that are abusing you.

Ignoring your ever growing sense of total despair is one of those Adult Things you just have to learn how to do.

Besides.  What's the point of this?  At the end of your life, when you've been all used up, how will you look back on this attitude?  Do you honestly expect to think it did anything for you?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:10:30 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39736 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:39 pm »

No, it's not, but it's worth pointing out that the self-loathing is not rational.  What is rational about devaluing yourself because of a completely natural apathy towards demands and circumstances that are forced upon you by no fault of your own?  Yeah, it's your fault if you don't get a job because you're not looking for one.  However, a shitty job market and your emotional response to it is not your fault.  Not only do you have a right to complain, but it's far healthier than siding against yourself with the societal forces that are abusing you.
Rationality is overvalued. You're being shamed for this kind of behavior by others exactly because it is self-destructive and they know it. You could toss around as many excuses as you want, but in the end you're going to have to realize that complaining has no effect and that you've got to pull the cart yourself.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39737 on: November 11, 2011, 09:21:38 pm »

1) Ask yourself what you want.
2) Ask yourself if what you're doing helps you toward that goal.
3) Ask yourself if there are any possibly better alternatives.

So long as 3 is answered "no," you're not really being irrational. Angsty maybe! Irrational no.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39738 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:57 pm »

Falling asleep for many hours
Oh god this happens out of nowhere how does this happen where did the hours ago whyyyyyyy

And apparently a million people are messaging me better get on that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39739 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:35 pm »

I'm not saying that complaining or making excuses solves problems.  I'm saying that convincing yourself that complaining would not be justified or that your excuses don't count for anything is a problem.

I understand that being too actively at odds with the world, no matter how unreasonable, is materially self-destructive.  On the other hand, when society is metaphorically standing on your neck and you join in when they belittle you for not breathing, that's emotionally self-destructive.

I hope I'm not making too big a thing out of this.  It's just something that's really bothering me lately, because I see a lot of people these days belittling those who are less fortunate, and the less fortunate agreeing with them.  It's infuriating.  We can't hope to rid ourselves of our material shackles until we've dealt with the emotional ones.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:46:48 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39740 on: November 11, 2011, 10:29:20 pm »

Viruses! Pretty bad viruses. I hate computer viruses.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39741 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:58 pm »

I'm sorta sad because something that should have been happy turned sad and I am unable to ask why.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39742 on: November 11, 2011, 11:54:12 pm »

Saw a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook at the library booksale and was unable to purchase it >:I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39743 on: November 11, 2011, 11:57:13 pm »

Saw a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook at the library booksale and was unable to purchase it >:I
Damn, wish I could buy that book.

Then I could walk around school getting weird looks from the teachers.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39744 on: November 12, 2011, 12:06:38 am »

You would actually get the FBI on your case. My cousin brought that book to school and FBI g-men came and took it from him.
Nothing important here, move along.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39745 on: November 12, 2011, 12:07:39 am »

You would actually get the FBI on your case. My cousin brought that book to school and FBI g-men came and took it from him.
LAND OF THE FREE.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39746 on: November 12, 2011, 12:13:32 am »

I had a digital copy in my teen years.  It might still be on that old computer that hasn't been booted up in over a decade.  I still remember a couple recipes, like homemade napalm.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39747 on: November 12, 2011, 12:49:56 am »

Yeah, there were copies spinning around the net. The way I hear it most recipes are wildly inaccurate.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39748 on: November 12, 2011, 12:56:04 am »

Yeah, most of the descriptions are really short and would probably get someone killed if they tried it.
Welcome to Reality.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39749 on: November 12, 2011, 12:57:39 am »

Well the napalm one has been tested.  Not by me.  I passed the book on to a friend, who later told me about how he almost hurt himself trying to put out the fire :D
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 2648 2649 [2650] 2651 2652 ... 8167